John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had 'Alice B. Toklas' brownees for about 40 years. BUT they can be very tasty, AND one can easily eat too many. I did once, and still remember it.

Hi John
Now that is a visit to Mr. Peabody’s “way back machine”.
I remember seeing a band called Zephyr at the Aragon ball room (in Chicago) and looking over at one of my friends standing with his mouth agape as a result of her brownies. Pretty funny actually.
The sound company that did the sound at the Aragon back then (the 70's) was called the "Euphoria blimp Works" which i always thought was a pretty cool name. They mostly used piles of Altec theater speakers etc.

Simon, a fellow cone head too eh? I move air too but differently.
While this approach is not so good for the mfr’s selling the drivers, cabinets and amplifiers, if you place the drivers less than a quarter wavelength apart where they interact they add coherently and do that within a large horn, you get a much more even /constant spectrum vs position and radiate a lot less energy to the sides, rear and up and down than the arrays do (good for inteligibility in a room).

If one does this properly, one has the radiation of a single wide band driver on a large horn, some can even reproduce a square wave over a broad band. Very much unlike the “arrays” which radiate an interference pattern, when the wind also has very little effect on a real point source and they sound the same nearly everywhere in the pattern.

Here is a video of a demo (use headphones) in a large but empty venue out your way using three speaker cabinets (the black blob under the scoreboard). In some cases, smaller sports stadiums have replaced multiple arrays with a single or just two speakers.

Penn State Demo.MOV - YouTube

Danley’s Jericho Horn Covers 30,000 Fans at Troy University : Sports Video Group

Montana State University Delivers Hi-Fi Audio with One Danley Jericho Horn : Sports Video Group

Danley Jericho Horns Gas Football Stadium, Allendale, Michigan - Lighting&Sound America Online - News

Best,
Tom Danley

Danley Jericho Horns Gas Football Stadium...

Don't think that's the kind of headline I'd want for one of my products. Sounds like either a terrorist plot or your speakers could use some Beano. :D

By the way, Tom, where are you hiding your recordings these days (thunderstorm, motorcycle, etc.)? Went looking for them the other day and they're no longer at the old URL.

se

Last edited:
By the way, Tom, where are you hiding your recordings these days (thunderstorm, motorcycle, etc.)? Went looking for them the other day and they're no longer at the old URL.

se[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve
Ugh the web site, what a sore subject. When the old web folks went under, we couldn’t access the content until the new site was up.
This is an area where I alternated between being glad I know nothing about it to wishing I did so I could help. Thankfully Doug Jones retired from teaching acoustics is now on full time and helping with the content and doing some much needed technical writing.
The good news is the microphone project has made the jump to being an official project now and there are some new recordings which will be added eventually.
Best,
Tom

That little spec in ths Carribean better be Jamaica. :) Several folks brought brownies made with pure hash oil to a work Christmas party in 1975 and put them in the buffet without telling anyone. Times have changed.

About a month ago in Moscow near some government building they put some new soil with grass seeds, but instead of grass they got hemp sprouting! State security opened the case, but I did not hear yet about any results of investigation. :D

Useful information?

http://www.hemp-technologies.com/page33/assets/hemp.uses00.pdf

.....now even speakercones.

I propose that Wavebourn start a Hemp thread since he seem to be the resident expert on the subject.:D:D:D

Unfortunately I am far from being an expert, but I heard that tweeter cones made from money are the best.

vizer3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.