John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you are not getting much, if any of that...
In these days of cnc porting of heads, and trying to hold a couple thou tolerance from entry of the intake port,down the port,thru the intake valve, thru the chamber,thru the exhaust valve, to the end of the exhaust port, polishing is not used in the" higher end".
It is almost impossible to hold these tolerances with hand polishing of ports, even those already cnc'd...
dennis h

Hi Dennis,

Apples and then red apples :) , Basically discussing polishing , as to CNC porting , this comes after prototyping , where removing shaping and flow work is done , afterwards port shape and size is measured and then the CNC process ..

When prototyping best to work with one cylinder at a time Of course many ways to skin a cat , just describing one method and unlike audio there is a checkered flag ....

:)

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you all for commenting on polishing the intake manifolds.
SY, I promise no more car or bike talk (unless it turns into acoustics)

Don't need to look anything up. You can sand but you don't want to polish on the intake side for the same reason a golf ball (*)has dimples. Strange connection? Not really just think about it.

This is correct for carburetor and single point injection systems (air/fuel mixture delivery into the cylinders). There (**), the function of the boundary layer is important , as well as the mixture velocity.

But multipoint fuel injection (fuel injectors on the head of each cylinder) changed the function and design of intake systems.
As the fluid now is only air, atomization and fuel suspension in the stream, is not an issue. Here, the build-up of the shear forces in the boundary layer close to rough pipe walls, accounts only for the creation of pressure loss and –more important- for the gradual generation of a wave traveling in the opposite direction of the air stream. Why this is important?
The fluid flow in the intake system is now studied and treated in terms of pressure waves, as a pulsating flow.
The various pressure waves generated (through piston movement, valve opening/closing, pressure reflections, resonance-standing –waves) can create unsteady mass flow which can result in a high or low mass flow.
But by proper calculation and timing (and here lies the implication with the back traveling wave generated by the pipe roughness) of these phenomena, pulsating flow can be used to force additional air into the engine, increasing the Volumetric Efficiency above 100% (here Volumetric Efficiency is volume flow rate of air into the intake system, divided by the rate of volume displacement by the piston) and determining the engine RPM at which maximum power or torgue is developed.

Some may remember the first application of “pressure wave tuned” exhaust systems some 35-40 years ago. It was on an MZ two stroke bike, during an annual six day off-road endurance european race.

George

(**) In general, but not always. Boundary layer importance diminishes with flow conditions in which Reynold Number (Re) is becoming high. There are cases that Re in intake systems can become quite high (I remember an unbelievable high Re>20000 for sprint race carts)

(*) For golf ball, look on Magnus effect.

Totally not about carburetion, but moving lots of air. This is my latest set of speakers just mounted! There are nine clusters, but not all are seen from this angle.

Attachments

• Husky_Stadium_-_Angle_3-20120624-171509.jpg
    Husky_Stadium_-_Angle_3-20120624-171509.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 367
When we worked, we worked. Alembic had lab space, and much of the time, the Dead was on the road, and we stayed behind and designed new things. At the time, Alembic made electric guitars and the loudspeakers for the GD and others, as well as the electronics.
The original reason that I came on board was to apply quality solid state to replace the aging and delicate tube electronics that was mostly Ampex tube mixers and Mac tube amps. I don't really like 'weed' so I kept pretty straight during working hours.
The Dead virtually 'threw money' at our projects, because their tax bracket (at the time) was so high, they would have to give most of it to the government, anyway, so why not buy expensive 'tax write-offs' and enjoy them as well? Or so I was told.

Diy Cookies

Mr.Curl did not do much weed from what I hear, but put the stuff in cookies.......now that is a different story. :D

Mr.Curls favorite recipe

HOW TO: MAKE CRIPPLING CHIP COOKIES
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES WITH MARIJUANA
INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup pot-butter
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 (12 ounce) package (2 cups) of chocolate morsels

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix (by hand) the butter, sugars, and egg into a large bowl.
Combine the baking soda, salt, and flour.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir by hand.
Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet
Stir in the chocolate morsels.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light brown.
Hungry? Let cool for 3 or 4 minutes and grub.

Jam

Attachments

• bookcoverfront.jpg
    bookcoverfront.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
you know it.:p

HOW TO: MAKE POT BUTTER
PREPARING “CANNABUTTER” FOR YOUR RECIPES
INGREDIENTS

Double boiler or 2 pots
1 lb unsalted butter (4 sticks / 2 cups)
1/4 oz to 1 oz marijuana buds
Strainer or cheesecloth
Small container

DIRECTIONS

Using a double boiler (or two pots), melt the butter on low heat. If using two pots, fill the larger (bottom) pot with water and the smaller (top) pot with butter. (Figure 9.1 shows a small bowl inside of a pot.)
Once the butter has melted, add the weed. *See the table below for estimated weed quantity.
Simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes (stirring every 5 minutes.) To extract more THC from your pot, simmer for 2-3 hours.
Let the melted pot butter cool for 5-10 minutes then strain the pot butter using a strainer or cheesecloth (Figure 9.2) into a small container.
Cover and refrigerate your pot butter until semi-solid (or as required by your recipe.)

WEED QUANTITY

I’m sure by now you are wondering, “How much weed should I use to make pot butter?” Because weed quality varies to such a large degree, it is impossible to predict exactly how much to use in order to achieve the desired results. Therefore, it is always better to err on the “light” side until you know your tolerance to marijuana edibles. Also, because you don’t want to make pot butter everyday, it is better to make large batches. You can use the chart below for estimated butter-to-pot ratios depending on the strength of your buds. For bigger batches, simply double or triple the recipe.

Jam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.