John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, does it matter? The male fetish culture around cars is well documented.

I had a motorcycle with reed valve between carburetor and cylinder. :D

My friend helped me such way to unscrew a nut from a clutch when he saw me trying to disassemble the motor: he put screwdriver under the piston, turned the wrench, and broke a skirt of the piston. Of course we could not disassemble it anyway, so I decided to fix it quickly making a valve from a peace of copper clad board and razor blades. I cut a copper clad board, made rectangular holes in it, soldered one side of reeds made from razor blades to cover that rectangular holes, and put it between carburetor and cylinder.

Wow, after such a "mod" it become much more powerful, but area of cylinder was not enough to sink the heat, so I cut rods from 1/4 inch aluminum wire and glued them by epoxy between fins of the cylinder.

The motor started looking like a hedgehog, but the motorcycle run really fast :D

It is more heroic story I think than to buy a performance car and polish some parts in it. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Cal for your 'correct' input. You may not have to look anything up, but others might be further enlightened, if they did.
The point I was trying to make was that 'random input' on a subject, should, at least, be reasonably accurate and therefore useful. A few of the car comments were neither. I could have ignored it, but that invites more 'uninformed' input, I should think.

Some cars run better when bounced off the rev limiter periodically...

Nope , slows you down ... :)

:mischiev: Have you guys actually owned performance cars and modified auto engines?

Have you ever built an amplifier ... :)

Look it up, Zen Mod, I am talking about 'mirror polishing' the intake system. It SEEMS the right thing to do, it is not. Check out the physics.

Mirror polishing the intake ports or manifold ?

It's different today with Injectors in the port, smooth but not mirror on intake, polished mirror on exhaust is good, but not necessary on street cars. Tumble is found in Multi-valve engines , where as swirl in your 2 valve Porsche head , Polishing the intake ports adds drag and kill atomization on NA cars, for Turbocharging the rules are a bit different, Boost is a beautiful thing

Kinda like feedback .... :)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had a motorcycle with reed valve between carburetor and cylinder. :D

My friend helped me such way to unscrew a nut from a clutch when he saw me trying to disassemble the motor: he put screwdriver under the piston, turned the wrench, and broke a skirt of the piston. Of course we could not disassemble it anyway, so I decided to fix it quickly making a valve from a peace of copper clad board and razor blades. I cut a copper clad board, made rectangular holes in it, soldered one side of reeds made from razor blades to cover that rectangular holes, and put it between carburetor and cylinder.

Wow, after such a "mod" it become much more powerful, but area of cylinder was not enough to sink the heat, so I cut rods from 1/4 inch aluminum wire and glued them by epoxy between fins of the cylinder.

LOL.

Thats ingenuity!

Accurate input is always appreciated.

And you are not getting much, if any of that...
In these days of cnc porting of heads, and trying to hold a couple thou tolerance from entry of the intake port,down the port,thru the intake valve, thru the chamber,thru the exhaust valve, to the end of the exhaust port, polishing is not used in the" higher end".
It is almost impossible to hold these tolerances with hand polishing of ports, even those already cnc'd...
dennis h

Status
Not open for further replies.