JLH Direct-Coupled High Quality Stereo Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now 30 degrees celsius here Lineup....positive degrées of course

It is really hot ouside.... but less hot than Australia, they are having fires there now a days.

A friend from there told me that today the temperature reached 40 degrées at Sidney.

For sure, Hugh Dean from Aksa, is not having his hot coffee he loves today...that hot "cappuccino" one.

regards,

Carlos

All rigth Andrija...i am uploading your schematic...the John Ellis upgrade

Is under construction, needing solder and to connect driver, output transistors, emitter resistors and supply.

Also double check will be needed.

The long tail is being modified, as i have not those two zener diodes...it will work conventional mode...2 resistors, one variable, an electrolitic condenser between them and the adjustment of off set will be made this way...at least, for a while.

regards,

Carlos

You blokes knock me out! I see this all the time.......someone posts a simple little message and it's like lighting a fuse to a skyrocket. Although I have built a handful of kit amps over the years (mostly from magazines in the 70s and 80s, my knowledge is pretty slim so i just love the way you all jump in and share your knowledge and experience, but the best bit is your collective enthusiasm. Particularly you Carlos.....you are never content just to take someone elses opinion.....you listen to what is said and then you try it, change it, try it, post it, change it etc tc .....fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress with this one.

Seeing all these posts has made me very curious about JLH and his other designs. I'm even tempted to perhaps try my hand at his class A or perhaps someone elses design (Zen, SOZ?).....but our recent run of 42 degree celcius days has me worried. Any other Aussies out there without aircon in their house running class A with room temps at perhaps 32+ degrees? Might have to put the amp in the beer fridge (hmmm....maybe I should post this Q as a separate thread)

Kimbo

Re: Now 30 degrees celsius here Lineup....positive degrées of course

destroyer X said:

It is really hot ouside.... but less hot than Australia, they are having fires there now a days.
A friend from there told me that today the temperature reached 40 degrées at Sidney.
-----
regards, Carlos

yes, I figured hot.
here, today is even colder than -20.5 C
and prognos tells like : -29 C within the next days
... brrrrrr .... I do not want to go out :bawling:

* -29 degree Celsius = -20.2 degree Fahrenheit

Thank you Kimbo...a fun lovin guy...alike i am too.

I am always searching for the Paradise...even knowing that it is not possible in this earth...but the search produces fun...trying to find the "perfect" amplifier...knowing in advance that there's no perfect speakers, no perfect studio, no perfect mixing and no perfect recording...hehe

I love to cooperate....when i construct amplifiers only to myself i feel selfish and not usefull to our group of friends.

To keep informs within myself is too much selfish too...as all i have learned was because people had clear intention to help me...to hold my hands with soldering iron....in special our forum..half i know is because our forum friends..the ones that wants to help others.

Yes...there are lot's of guys that wants to show that they know things...but those had no intentions to help..only to show up themselves.... searching for fame pointing other guys errors and showing that they do not perceive this and that...aaaagh!

The more i watch those pri... the more i make efforces to help the ones that have less experience than i have.

Terrible for those guys that paint themselves red, the ones that wants a spot ligth over their heads..those ones that dream to cross the street nudes with a wattermellow around the neck.. screaming for attention...and not really finding that,.because clearly selfish..people do not like...this is clear....

Normally i collect much more attention that the ones that move themselves by selfish reasons...a lot of people apreciate good will, and as a consequence i collect attention...when this is not my target..... but i am also human and i thank very much for that.

I am what i am...half idiot, half gênius, half crazy, half scientist.

regards,

Carlos

kimbo said:

Particularly you Carlos.....
you are never content just to take someone elses opinion.....

you listen to what is said and then you try it, change it, try it, post it, change it etc tc .....fantastic.
-------------------
Kimbo

In other words, Kimbo,
Carlos try to give his Honest opinion on amplifiers & on life
... which is more than some others can try to do

Now, unless somebody is Dead,
we are free to change opinion .. even next day
we are also, accordingly to Human Rights
free to have and change our religion, too
... so my usual schedule is:
* Monday - Buddist
* Tuesday - Muslim
*Wednesday - I am a Christian
* Thurday - Hinduist a la Gandhi
* Friday - Big Spirit in the sky, a la North-American Indians
;) Saturday & Sunday - Zen Class A a la Nelson Pass worshiper ;)

people that can not change opinion - are dead
lineup is alive, so far, I think

Here is my opinion about the unit..thanks John Ellis

I was listening to John Ellis upgrade from JLH 75W and i feel
myself very excited to tell you how good it is.

The improvement related the original is clear, and appear almost
immediately when you switch on, including the noises the original
made that i could not perceive in this one.

Residual noise very low…almost nothing, you have to put your ears over the tweeter to listen to thermal noise.

Treble is the highest quality of this amplifier, in the reality both ends are extremely good, precise in bass reproduction and clear with all the high frequency tones that shown themselves present and without attenuation.

Resolution and focus are very high…you can separate
instruments and you can listen to separate voices…sounds do not mix one each other being transformed in noises…. two voices are reproduced as two voices
Dinamic is excellent, not from outer space, but much more power is shown during peaks compared with the original.. thunderstorm
sounds were reproduced and shown reduced distortion compared to the earlier model.
The unit was lovely during classical musical audition, and less good with popular music, as recording defects appear clearly..the amplifier is also an electronic instrument, as do not create colours or fake warmth in the music reproduction…fast in response, may have excellent slew rate using good transistors.

Some violin high frequency tones disturbed my wife as loud and real they were

High frequency harmonics were, for sure, reproduced…because I could listen to squeaks of fingers passing into guitar strings.

A Monitor Amplifier, perfect for studio use i think…it is include in my ten plus top list.

Thank you very much, Mr. John Ellis, to give me the chance to listen to your excellent amplifier… this one will be kept assembled to be listened once more, and to show to my audiophile friends.

Satisfaction is guaranteed…some tweaks may be needed in resistor values, to balance voltages within the limits of perfection…but was not hard to make it work fine.

In my experience, it is not absolutelly plug and play.

I have used resistors in the long tail… this amplifier may sound even better if you respect the design and avoid the mess i made with wiring., a shame!

I perceive a little bit (a very little) increase in treble related Symassym…the low end was wonderfull, but GEM is even better in low end… the unit lost to Symassym related dynamics and has not all that punch I could perceive in Holton amplifier.

Separation, dimension, deepness of instruments and voices… something alike Sound stage perception of spatial positioning, of course adapted to mono audition, ..well, this sounded worst related Lifeforce.

Treble is the best point of this amplifier, in my subjective point of view.. also precision and absence of sonic colouration

Excelent unit!

Carlos

Hi Carlos

I'm amazed at the speed you put this one together!
And pleased that you like it!

I only did what I think JLH would have done had he lived today ...
if anyone else likes to support this idea I'll call it the "JLH memorial amp"

What output trannys did you use?

cheers
John

2SC5200 from Fairchild...and complementary of course.

They worked fine, but i had to re arrange some resistors because of different gain drivers and voltage amplifiers.

I decided to not touch the old JLH 75 watts.

So, i have used BD139 and BD140 as drivers, and BC639 and BC640 as voltage amplifiers (they are almost the same as BD130 inside smaller plastic case...reduce only dissipation...power limit)...as you may know.

I have used also those BC639 in the differential...hehe..i made a damn mess.... the amplifier may work better than the one i have made.

Good is to make one with the correct transistors.

Well..i have made 5 amplifiers last week...i will have some time of vacations with my daugther and will stop to construct for a while..i hope other friend can do some related your amplifier.

John Lindsey Hood (Lindsley?) may be smilling and he would like to thank you John Ellis, to keep his name respectable.

Thank you.

Carlos

Carlos is that...and more.
I can't keep up with him, this discussion about the JLH 75 W drove me crazy, I was drwaing the board for that amplifier and he was already trying the amplifier out, he made me mad. Of course we all know how he make amplifiers but the thing is he makes them and then listen to them while I'm in the process os drawing the board.
And he told me that is he not going to buil dany more amps!...
What a nerve he has, ah, ah, ah,......

I decided not to build the amplifier (the original) because he told me
that in that form the amplifier was mediocre and as I'm not interested in building another complementary one (JohnEllis one) I gave up the whole ideia alltogether.

And I had so many good hopes of building (finally) a quasi complementary amplifier! Pity.....!

BTW, speaking about quasi completary amplifiers, can anyone direct
me to a good and proven amplifier of this kind, using BJT's (Not Mos
fets) that would satisfy the term High Fidelity?

I'm asking because I've seen many schematics of this kind and none says Hi/Fi on the input, output or in the middle...What a shame!

The dirty fast method is the answer.

I use to remove many steps from the procedure...this do not waste time.

- Trace the circuit lines watching schematic..put dots for holes and line for circuit...trace in the components side.
- Now produce the components holes
- watching holes, with the board stand, in the position you can see fast one side and other..flipping fast as watching sketches that you want to make figures to move.... go tracing lines..the same line of circuit you have over the board (parts side)

Corrode using high concentration of chemical material related the watter....moving all time...shacking and heating the material till 50 degrees celsius...this will corrode in maximum 5 minutes!

Now install all parts, twisting leads not to have them falling down... and solder all parts.

Measure resistance from plus to minus, plus to ground and ground to minus...having 30K or more...invert measurements and this will show you if you have shorts.

Put the board inside alcohol (Isopropilic we call here) and clean all pen marks fast with a brush.

READY!

The problem is that people spent hours in front of the computer producing boards using software.... when i can finish all my work during this ours the one spend to make things professional...when the guys is not a professional...or do not need the professional finishment...the professional quality.

And them one more hour to produce the printed material

Have to prepare and adjust the Ligth projection system

When ready goes to a week solution, using normal temperature, or even a cold chemical (works slowly)

Now people goes watching numbers....well...R14...hummm...what is R14?....humm...let's watch a list..... here!......R14 is 120 ohms...and them people will start to search this resistor (i have them separated in boxes.... 1 to 10 ohms.....12 to 33 ohms....39 ohms to 68 ohms...and so on.

Also, there are people that loose time...waste time doing nothing...when corroding boards, for instance, you can use that time to collect the parts you will need to solder...the solder, cleaning soldering iron...well..using the time the chemical material will spent to corrode the boards.

After finish will be soldering....all those traditional steps waste time...removing something you will make it faster and dirty too.

As dirty boards do not means dirty sound...and as i do not watch sound...no need to watch my boards inside the enclosure....result that beauty do not matters.

Have to sacrifice beauty to listen more, to work less, and faster... average time is 4 hours from the start to be listening.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.