JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Has somebody compared some version of jlh to some other amps? I'd like to build a class A amp ;) . I have Pass Zen already. Will JLH be comparable with Zen in term of sound quality?

Also I've found something like this: NOStalgia - the all-FET JLH/PLH Class A amplifier it's a fet version of JLH. What do you thing about it?

it is not easy for me to explain in English, but all my JLH (69 schematic)have a different sound but always the same image.
when we know this amp, we realize that it is very sensitive to the change of components.
it can be tuned as a musical instrument.

I built a lot of amps, all more or less in the same spirit (jlh, pass, hiraga, plantefeve) and I always come back to jlh,only the 8w hiraga monster with truck battery leans my heart.
after we must not forget that the amp is only one element of the set, so chancun will have a different opinion depending on its material, its listening room and especially its ears and heart...

Hi All,

I recently completed one of these the 1996 version.
Using MJ15003&4

Really fantastic sounding amp.

I found running full bias of 2A cured any oscillation problems.

-Dan

I see you have a 30w Hiraga as well. Did you compared them?

it is not easy for me to explain in English, but all my JLH (69 schematic)have a different sound but always the same image.
when we know this amp, we realize that it is very sensitive to the change of components.
it can be tuned as a musical instrument.

I built a lot of amps, all more or less in the same spirit (jlh, pass, hiraga, plantefeve) and I always come back to jlh,only the 8w hiraga monster with truck battery leans my heart.
after we must not forget that the amp is only one element of the set, so chancun will have a different opinion depending on its material, its listening room and especially its ears and heart...
Thanks. If you always come back to jlh it has to be good :) . Why all your amps are based on 69 schematic? Do you find it best sounding? I have to decide which version I'll build and I'm double-minded now :D .

Last edited:
I see you have a 30w Hiraga as well. Did you compared them?

Thanks. If you always come back to jlh it has to be good :) . Why all your amps are based on 69 schematic? Do you find it best sounding? I have to decide which version I'll build and I'm double-minded now :D .
I can not say that it is the best, but in any case, for me, the most homogeneous and the most flexible.
he can not do everything but what he does, he does it very well !!
he is never tiring

there is kit for cheap on the site big Chinese site.
once the transistors are changed, it gives a good overview of its potential

30W hiraga is very tempting.

30W hiraga vs jlh 2003 :) . Any thoughts?

I have pcb for 2003 version that I posted. i have pcb with 70um copper, black mask). If interested, I can supply it to you, but its not tested by me. here is how it will look when i build it..JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Its going to be my ultimate build with all premium components and with ONSEMI TO-3 components. I have already procured heatsinks, spreader plate, aluminium angles, and components etc.
Need to decide on chassis and trafo...
regards
Prasi

JLH update version

So in your opinion 2003 version (updated one) is the worst?

I have pcb for 2003 version that I posted. i have pcb with 70um copper, black mask). If interested, I can supply it to you, but its not tested by me. here is how it will look when i build it..JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Its going to be my ultimate build with all premium components and with ONSEMI TO-3 components. I have already procured heatsinks, spreader plate, aluminium angles, and components etc.
regards
Prasi

Thanks. I'll think about it ;) .

regards
Prasi
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: