JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have to start to etch the PC boards and go on with these project. Same time I etch PC boards for a dozen other amplifiers. I need to rebuild the amplifier case I used US standard screws and they loosen up (my heat sinks are heavy) if I tide the screws harder it damage the taping. I purchased from China M6 tap true Ebay to re tap the heatsink and waited 2 mounts to receive it.:mad:
Meanwhile I put together another amplifier case but to big to use for these (would be waste) project, I think that can handle 50-60W Class A PP amplifier like the KSA 50.
Now no more excuse I have to start to put these amp together. :)

Greetings gabor

Good to see you are still here Gabor.

-Dan

Good to see you are still here Gabor.

-Dan

Yes I am here but the same time (almost not here)I having very little progress. I am (or I was) a disabled person. The last several mounts I spent with doctors to do check ups to fill up my forms for my disability support. Still not finished yet, at December I will have to do two MRI tests and some other to. Unfortunately I already know the Canadian government does not care much how sick or ill someone :mad: since they cut my benefit. Now I have to re-appeal against their decision. Tomorrow I go to see a lawyer. So I am very busy with all these and unfortunately not much progress with my DIY audio projects (amps, speakers etc,) I want to say to those who wait on my progress report sorry guys unfortunately there are other priorities at these moment in my life. I know I started several project and most of them not finished because the mentioned situation.
Greetings to all :)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes I am here but the same time (almost not here)I having very little progress. I am (or I was) a disabled person. The last several mounts I spent with doctors to do check ups to fill up my forms for my disability support. Still not finished yet, at December I will have to do two MRI tests and some other to. Unfortunately I already know the Canadian government does not care much how sick or ill someone :mad: since they cut my benefit. Now I have to re-appeal against their decision. Tomorrow I go to see a lawyer. So I am very busy with all these and unfortunately not much progress with my DIY audio projects (amps, speakers etc,) I want to say to those who wait on my progress report sorry guys unfortunately there are other priorities at these moment in my life. I know I started several project and most of them not finished because the mentioned situation.
Greetings to all :)
Look after yourself Gabor I hope your situation Improves.

-Dan

Hi.
I would like to build a jlh amplifier and I have few questions.

Is it possible to use modern transistors with higher fT (I have some 2sc5200 and lots of Russian kt's with fT=20MHz)? I read somewhere that it oscillates with higher fT transistors. Is it true? This amp has lot of versions. Which one sounds best in your opinion (propably one without cap on output ;) ) ?

Greetings from Poland.
Oskar

Hi.
I would like to build a jlh amplifier and I have few questions.

Is it possible to use modern transistors with higher fT (I have some 2sc5200 and lots of Russian kt's with fT=20MHz)? I read somewhere that it oscillates with higher fT transistors. Is it true? This amp has lot of versions. Which one sounds best in your opinion (propably one without cap on output ;) ) ?

Greetings from Poland.
Oskar

,for me,MJ15003 is the best for JLH amp 69 version .
y have one version with sc5200 ,one with mj15024,one with BDX50 and definitively,y prefere the mj15003

It is possible to use higher fT transistors. I've mentioned this before (probably earlier in this thread) that to do so requires a small capacitor (33pF in my case) across the feedback resistor to correct the gain/phase response. At least in the original design - I have not tested it with the DC coupled version, but I suspect the same applies.
But the biggest concern with the high fT transistors is the very high input capacitance.
They really need fairly powerful driver transistors.
So it would seem that older style devices might still be preferable for the JLH Class A such as MJ15003 or perhaps TIP3055's.

Thank you very much for help :) .
I've got some more questions :D . Probably somewhere in this veeerrrryyy long thread somebody (I hope ;) ) posted pcb in pdf for 2003 version. Am I right ;) ? Honestly...I would have to spend a week or so to read it from beginning :D ...so does somebody have a pcb for 2003 version in pdf, jpg etc.? Unfortunately when I type pcb or pdf in "search this thread" nothing pops up :( .

Just mention that "The Class-A amplifier site" is always worth looking at if you are contemplating starting a JLH 10 watt amp'.. It is very thorough in looking at a lot of options, build notes, reviews etc. And it contains the original article (1969) the subsequent postscript (1970) and the split rail upgrade (1996). (It also has other class A amps etc. Well worth a visit if you don't know it)
It was developed by Geoff Moss in the UK and for some years has been hosted by Elliot Sound Products here in Australia. That is where Oskar2905 gave us the link above.
Merry Christmas to all the JLH devotees.
Cheers, Jonathan (proud owner of a '69 version for 40 yrs)

Thank you very much for help :) .
I've got some more questions :D . Probably somewhere in this veeerrrryyy long thread somebody (I hope ;) ) posted pcb in pdf for 2003 version. Am I right ;) ? Honestly...I would have to spend a week or so to read it from beginning :D ...so does somebody have a pcb for 2003 version in pdf, jpg etc.? Unfortunately when I type pcb or pdf in "search this thread" nothing pops up :( .
pcb pdf and gerbers..
JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier