JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Huggygood you have le monstre, right? How does it sound compared to '69 jlh? I read on polish forum that le monstre sounds pretty much like a tube amp. Is that right? Which one has more bass jlh or le monstre?

the only reason I mount a monster is because I had the original components and the original pcb.
I have since try editing with Chinese components and modern pcb and it has nothing to do with LE monstre.
more more bass on the jlh
more refinement with le monstre
more power with jlh
the supply of LE monstre is very expensive to implement because of the cost of the capacitors while that of the jlh and very simple to implement.
THE monster is a little more elitist amp, the jlh is a popular amp, my reference goes to jlh.
again, LE monstre without its original components has nothing to do with the original

Thank you for the circuits. This one really caught my eye as it is so much better than it looks if the specs really are as stated is the ( Elector 189 in link ). I have more doubts about some of the Self designs, not least they seem to have frozen how people look at non " Blameless" designs. Here is something B&O would have wished they had though of. Their designs we often no more complex. Also a design by W Marshall Leach 1976 that seems like something I often wondered about. That is a Hitachi/Quad/Crimson hybrid out of early op amp ideas. The circa 1980 JLH with bipolar in and MOSFET out ( inverted, drain to load) really looks interesting ( better found in JLH sites ). JLH returns to capacitor coupling for that. His designs in the mid 70's using long tail pair or DC coupled. As I understand it he had doubts about DC coupling sounding worse and offering worse protection!

JLH seems to be the only designer who could ride both hi fi horses at once. That is to really workout good specifications that also pleased his ear. I suspect he thought about it more than he says in print as he knew some would shoot him down in flames if he dared make too many subjective claims. He says enough to make me think he gave it much thought. I notice none of the listen with an oscilloscope people ever said a word against him. That's not to say don't use one, you 100% must.

Elektor_189_p17-22.pdf - Google Drive

If a JLH sounds better with modern transistors most likely their gain is the reason. If the output transistor nearest 0V ( TR1 ? )was a nasty industrial power Darlington it might sound better despite it's Ft being <1MHz, MJ3001 might work. Bias set to suit it's voltage loss. Many will not be tough enough if T0220. Just a thought.

BTW. I suspect the best JLH will be built without printed circuit board. It is so simple it could work. Nice thick wire if you do. I would use T03 devices if so. 2N3055 + MJ3001? Modern 3055 are not bad, the ON devices seem to be MJ15015 low voltage spec. TIP3055 always was a bit better. I have plenty of MJ3001 in my junk box. If forced to buy some perhaps these. The upper device is best a single type ( 3055/MJ15015 ).

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/2n6058/darlington-transistor-to-3/dp/1165897

Thank you for the circuits. This one really caught my eye as it is so much better than it looks if the specs really are as stated is the ( Elector 189 in link ). I have more doubts about some of the Self designs, not least they seem to have frozen how people look at non " Blameless" designs. Here is something B&O would have wished they had though of. Their designs we often no more complex. Also a design by W Marshall Leach 1976 that seems like something I often wondered about. That is a Hitachi/Quad/Crimson hybrid out of early op amp ideas. The circa 1980 JLH with bipolar in and MOSFET out ( inverted, drain to load) really looks interesting ( better found in JLH sites ). JLH returns to capacitor coupling for that. His designs in the mid 70's using long tail pair or DC coupled. As I understand it he had doubts about DC coupling sounding worse and offering worse protection!

JLH seems to be the only designer who could ride both hi fi horses at once. That is to really workout good specifications that also pleased his ear. I suspect he thought about it more than he says in print as he knew some would shoot him down in flames if he dared make too many subjective claims. He says enough to make me think he gave it much thought. I notice none of the listen with an oscilloscope people ever said a word against him. That's not to say don't use one, you 100% must.

Elektor_189_p17-22.pdf - Google Drive

If a JLH sounds better with modern transistors most likely their gain is the reason. If the output transistor nearest 0V ( TR1 ? )was a nasty industrial power Darlington it might sound better despite it's Ft being <1MHz, MJ3001 might work. Bias set to suit it's voltage loss. Many will not be tough enough if T0220. Just a thought.

BTW. I suspect the best JLH will be built without printed circuit board. It is so simple it could work. Nice thick wire if you do. I would use T03 devices if so. 2N3055 + MJ3001? Modern 3055 are not bad, the ON devices seem to be MJ15015 low voltage spec. TIP3055 always was a bit better. I have plenty of MJ3001 in my junk box. If forced to buy some perhaps these. The upper device is best a single type ( 3055/MJ15015 ).

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/2n6058/darlington-transistor-to-3/dp/1165897
if you are the Nigel pearson of Westwood & Mason, i am happy
to be able to talk to you
as an amateur english hifi and I have sometimes heard of you and your store, always good.
for jlh in point to point, it's on the table, the winter is comming :)

I was. Shame you never met Kendall Perry now of silicon valley in the shop if you had visited. Westwood's shop existed since 1947, I was very lucky to work there. It was at first a hobby electronics shop. I think Kendall wrote for Elektor. He taught me current mirrors and the Crimson design. He was at Merton College. Also Michael Gerzon taught me plenty. Much modern digital is due to him. Solid State Logic mixing desks started at Westwood's. I live almost nextdoor to SSL.

As you might remember we repaired and improved many pieces of hi fi. I learnt how many designs could sound good where it looked they shouldn't. Equally the Radford HD250 didn't. One was in the window so long it changed colour. It's was a mystery as it looks so good on paper. The Nytech 252 would be worth cloning. He was from Radford.

Below is a rather interesting French design Gogny using 2N3055 to drive 50 watts into 1 ohms I think for ribbon tweeters. It is rather unusual in using a 3055 to drive a 3055 and points out gain is a problem when doing this. You should just about be able to read the idea. I think one side was for modern preamps and the other older Gogny designs. Also some ribbon feedback if not mistaken. It seems highly unlikely it was the right marriage. However to make a ribbon then ruin it's sound seems unlikely. Forgive the slight change of direction except 1967 and 2N3055 are the era. I have often speculated all it needs is a current source to the VAS. I have never really liked the Krell amps. I suspect although class AB I could like this Gogny. Note the shunt input feedback even with long tail pair.

Sorry this copy seems to be unreadable now! The circuit is just about readable and the magazine reference date. I was in Paris in May that year. It truely was France at it's most modern ever ( DS, Metro). I saw colour TV in 819 lines. In my mind best ever TV even including normal HD. Perhaps not as good as the Pioneer Plasma TV's if being strict.

LIaa5sK.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings to everyone!

A few months ago I finished the construction of a power amplifier JLH 2005 (4xMJ15003).
From the beginning I noticed a certain lack of low frequencies, both in terms of extension and punch, for the rest nothing to say. Immediately I tried to replace three types of speakers (BR, closed and OB) thinking that the problem was that, but above all connected to the Open Baffle speakers (not very performing in this range, but those that I am most interested in using transparency issues) , I could not get any appreciable improvements.
Then for a while I had to suspend the business.
Recently, however, I picked up the thing and after having documented I decided to intervene on three targets: substantial increase in input capacity, closed the electrolytic capacitor of NFB and added a capacity (330pf) to the transistor driver BD139.16 to implement the Miller effect.
Result: no results ... nothing, everything as before, if not a slight increase in overall accuracy.
At this point, to look for confirmation, I tried a direct comparison with an old Hiraga Class A: unfortunately my impressions were correct lack the bass, the deepest are completely absent ... it's a shame because the rest would have much to to be appreciated.
Now I would like, if someone could give me some suggestions to solve the situation once and for all, because I would be sorry to dismantle the whole for a deficit that theoretically should not have, but in fact substantially affects the performance of such a good amplifier.
Thanks in advance, especially to those who could help me.
Greetings to everyone!

Mleod