• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy

Setting the Output Bias

...simply set bias by running the amplifier at a low power level and monitoring the crossover notch on the oscilloscope...

I have heard of doing this, but is it really necessary for best performance?

Generally there is a null setting of minimum distortion (especially high order products) as bias is varied. Beyond a point, increasing bias increases distortion and dissipation.

This is interesting, as I'd always assumed that more bias was better (witness the high-end amps that are biased over 10% of their AB ratings)...

Comments?

-Chas

Chas, You can always go the route Dr. Leach recommends on his website. He settles for something on the low side. You will most definitely notice a difference in the quality of the music as you increase the bias up to a point. It is remarkable listening as you turn the small screw. The bass and midrange just come to life. Not many things we build show such remarkable improvements from just tweaking the bias adjustment.

Tad

Hi,
yes, each one separately is one of the first things I do as soon as I've got it running.
I match the Re to better than 0.5% to ensure that the readings I take later actually mean something. The usual 5% is no good here.
This shows up how well I have matched the Vbe of the output devices.

Once I know the output stage is sharing the bias current fairly evenly across all devices, I usually attach a short pair of test leads to the closest to average for any future setting up.

Attachments

• 2be2_1.jpg
    2be2_1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 575
Looks like someone snapped up that traf asap with buyitnow; however, another Pioneer (by Bando) 120W/ch potted trafo just came up (surprising, as these are pretty rare- esp. for $30):

e bay Item number: 260369512151

When using these, I calculate the resistor value for R3/R22 to be 2.7k ohms.

Any others have pics to share?

Cheers,

-Chas

Rob, SmallParts.com has a pretty good assortment of these washers on it's website. If I have time today at work I will see if I can get a number.
The transistors that you are using do not have a plastic surround hole in them? Most of the units I have used have this built in plastic bushing already installed.

Tad

Andrew, Tad

Thanks for the info. Transistors from Digi-Key, On-Semi, is a metal tab only.

I had considered spring clip mounting, but though there must be an easier way. The mica I have is actually for TO-3 that I got as an obsolete from work. I hadn't considered mounting of this part when building my original BOM (still not complete)

Heatsinks are yet to be tapped, so I still have time to pull in these little nuggets. smallparts.com is a new one to me...

Mouser Part No.....

The Mouser Part Number INSULATING SHOULDER WASHER is 532-7721-8PPS.....has .040 inch shoulder for and hole for a #4-40 screw.

The Part No for the "THERMASIL III MOUNTING KIT" for one transistor is 532-4880SG. The kit has all the mounting hardware i.e. #4-40 screw, shoulder washer, flat washer, lockwasher, nut and and insulator. I have heard that the insulator may not be large enough for the MJL4302/4281's so if that is the case, buy the parts separately? Has anyone bought the kit??

mouser #

Thanks Brute, that'll fit the bill for the washer.

The MJL4302/81's don't appear to need a shoulder washer. I'm going to use a flat, with the 4-40 going into a blind hole. There won't be any ft-lbs of torque going into this mounting scheme

I would like to know if anyone has found a TO-264 insulator. The Al-oxide pads (4180G) just fit the die area under these transistors

Samoloko, the MJL's were best for my application