• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy

All stuffed!

Currently, both the Leach PCB's (and the cat) are stuffed!

Now to measure/match the drivers & output devices and install.

Unfortunately she has a recurring appetite (big eater), but she likes my music enough to come in while I'm listening and curl up on the chair.

-Chas

P.S. Nice work, Rob!

Attachments

• pcb+c.a.t..jpg
    pcb+c.a.t..jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 485
Jen's PCB layout made The Abso!ute Sound's Product of the Year Awards cover!

Actually I'm hoping, once these amps are finished, that
the Sound is Absolute-ly wonderful! ;)

-Chas

p.s. It looks like I'll have some parts (resistors, caps, diodes, transformer, heat sinks) leftover from this amp build. I'll be listing them in a few days under the "Trading Post" section of the DIY Marketplace, but I'd like to give my friends here "first crack" at 'em. Anyone interested can email me for an advance list.

I bought some taps from the tool truck Matco at work and they were far superior to the Ace hardware, Lowes variety.

Tad,

Thanks for the kind offer to get us better quality taps-Were you able to get any taps this week? Ill be drilling this weekend, and would like to start tapping next week.

Also, when are you going to post pics of your(finished) Leach amp for us to see?

Thanks,

-Chas

Clip light

Has anyone considered (or used) Leach's Clip indicator ? Personally, once I've had a few :drunk: , an indicator reminds me back down a few db

Front end testing begins this morning on 4 pcb's, still waiting for Digi-ket to deliver on Mills resistors - 36 BO'd

I hope to finish plan for delay relay and associated power supply circuitry, get a part order going on this. Also, need to get serious about drilling and tapping the sinks.

I've read very little about prepping the heatsink surface for the output transistors, lapping, mirrored surface and such. As Bob would say 'avoid analysis paralysis', I want to get on with it but I don't feel as I've put enough consideration here. Anyone have a reference or link on the subject? I'll be using aluminum oxide pads, uncharted territory.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Clip light

rob3262 said:

I've read very little about prepping the heatsink surface for the output transistors, lapping, mirrored surface and such. As Bob would say 'avoid analysis paralysis', I want to get on with it but I don't feel as I've put enough consideration here. Anyone have a reference or link on the subject? I'll be using aluminum oxide pads, uncharted territory.

Thanks,
Rob

Once you get beyond ensuring that you have deburred the mounting screw holes (absolutely essential), you're up on the diminishing returns curve. Unless your surfaces are particularly rough (to the touch) all lapping will buy you is a few extra watts of dissipation capability. If you aren't lighting your clip light constantly you're probably safe. Lots of commercial products, including pro sound work (and survive) just fine with an anodized mill finish on the sinks.

Deburring is as easy as twisting a drill bit larger than the hole on the surface until you don't feel any burr dragging your finger across the hole. Ensure that all chips are removed from the surface before mounting your transistors.

Today I laid out all the parts, checking to see if my chassis have room for two channels, at the urging of another DIYer, who says there's room.

It looks like a tight squeeze, but everything just fits.

Anyone here foresee any problems locating the PSB's so close to the circuit boards?

The approx 600VA transformer is from a stereo receiver, so there's only the one set of center-tapped secondaries.
I'm hoping that I can split it (attaching two sets of leads in a "y") to feed both supply boards, but the total capacitance will be almost 2x greater than in the original receiver- sound feasible?

I will be using a CL-30/delay relay combo to limit turn-on surge.

-Chas

Attachments

• xleach2.jpg
    xleach2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 570
Chas, where did you score the delay relay? Part number? A reasonable price point on this could simplify my efforts...

The chassis layout looks good. Admittedly, I have no idea how much heat the PS will generate but your build looks spacious. What rail voltage will you get from the 600VA?
Total rail capacitance?

where did you score the delay relay?

FleaBay, of course! They sell for an average of $15.

Check out the following:

eBay Item number: 330308432876 (lot of 4, similar to mine)

eBay Item number: 350167551297 (requires a 24vdc source)

Attached is a diagram of my relay setup, which shorts out the CL30 after a 5-6 second delay.

What rail voltage will you get from the 600VA?

The secondaries are 45-0-45vac, so approximately 63vdc rails(no load).

Total rail capacitance?

I used six 4,700uf*snap-ins per PSB. If you count the 2,200uf KG caps(thanks Michael Percy!) on the PCB(C21/C27), that makes 16,300uf per rail. So the amp has 32,600uf per channel and that makes the total 65,200uf (the receiver the traf came from had one 15,000uf cap per rail, or 30,000uf total).

-Chas

*These were surplus, NOS caps, since my order for the Nichicon KG never did arrive from Taiwan.

p.s. You may need a relay socket and, if purchased new, these will set you back $5-$10 additional.

Attachments

• surge.jpg
    surge.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 475
Thanks Brutepuppy!

I just wanted to publicly thank "Brutepuppy" for going "above and beyond" to help me with my amps.

He just spent the entire evening showing me how to lay out and drill my heatsinks (and putting up with my lack of knowledge)!

Thanks also to Tad, Bill, Fred and Phil for their continued support.

I can't think of anywhere else that I've met so many quality people with interest in things DIY and audio!

I only hope that others here find such good friends in this hobby.

My sincere thanks again! :D

-Chas