• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy

Hallcon83,
At this time the particular boards you describe are not available. The board layout is undergoing beta tests for any problems. We do not expect any just a good idea before producing a large quantity.
This second round group buy, for which I have 4 boards left, was for the Jens Rasmussen layout of the original Leach Tim amplifier with 10 output devices. This amp is just one long board with the outputs soldered to the board. It is a particularly good design and can be configured for several voltages producing upwards of 200 watts.
If you are still interested in this layout post here and I will email you back. The boards were sold for 17,00 dollars U.S. each plus shipping and paypal fees.

Tad

Mills makes an excellent resistor.

Yes, I've purchased these before from Michael Percy Audio, primarily for loudspeaker crossover use..

Watch the prices. Of the three main selections -- one of them is a lot cheaper.
Which one?

The 5W Mills(MRA-5,$2ea) is SO TINY, compared to the silkscreen layout, I wondered if it's a good choice for the emitter resistors...

The 12W Mills(MRA-12, $3.50ea) is just too big to fit the space allotted.

Is there another resistor, comparable to the Mills, that might be the right size/rating?

While I'm curious if the Fukushima MPC74's on eBay are fake, they're surprisingly close in cost to the MPC71's available from Europe (US$0.85, vs US$0.75); however the delivered costs from Europe may be high (tho' I hear these are the finest emitter R's).

http://www.schuro.de/preisl-mpc71.htm

An opportunity for another group buy? -Chas

Chas,

Short version: the "little" resistors are fine.

Long version:

Modern materials allow higher dissipation in smaller packages. The power rating is based on continuous average conditions.

Actual dissipation in emitter resistors is quite low. Working backwards, with a 0R47 resistor:

We'll use the rule of thumb that you want to keep dissipation under 1/2 rated dissipation.

For 2.5 W you'd need current under 2.3A. That means your RMS current output for the amp would be limited to 11.5A. That's not peak, which would have to be MUCH higher with music to reach that average.

11.5A into 8R is 1058W and 528W into 4R. Five pairs of MJL4281/4302 wouldn't last long in that environment.

Even 100W RMS into 4R means only 1A per emitter resistor, or .47W.

I used the 5 watt and they were a good fit.

You're right- and there's plenty of space for cooling...:)

Actual dissipation in emitter resistors is quite low.

I guess, even though I'm running 75v rails and a 4 ohm load, I'll still probably never smoke 'em. :hot:

Thanks for the analysis.
-chas

Attachments

• mills.jpg
    mills.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 460
Got some Trannies!

Thanks, pchw!!

Guys, I must say that the only thing better than corresponding with everyone on this forum is meeting you in person.
I've met Pchw and Brutepuppy, spoken with Wjh, and they're all really nice guys! :cool:
A few more of us in the SF bay area and we could form a local club... :yikes:

I look forward to getting together with them for a parts G.B. and, once we have all our parts, for a board-stuffing party!
:cheers:

-chas

I knew I had read this somewhere

BobEllis said:

Don't forget that the amp can only swing to within about 5-10V of the rails. Chances are at high output there will be a few volts of ripple on the rails, so the amp will probably barely swing 75 V or so with 85 V unloaded rails, around 350W.

So if running 70V rails, wouldn't regulating the front end seperately at 65V take advantage of full swing (or pretty close)?

I finally have started a parts list up at Digi-Key online. If anyone has parts advise they want to throw down here...

Regulating front end

wouldn't regulating the front end seperately...take advantage of full swing...

Yes, guys. I, too, have been wondering about regulating the front end.
In fact, I found a pair of Boak regulator PCB's in my"box o'stuff"
recently.
These were popular for regulating various SS amps back
in the early 1980's when I was a student :gasp:
(For details, see back issues of The Audio Amateur 01/1980).

Would these be useful, or are they too out-dated? :confused:

TIA

-Chas

Just a fyi, barredboss has on ebay 12"x8.5" heatsinks available. He was mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible source. In addition he states he will discount large orders. The only bad thing with these heatsinks, the fins run horizontal. Is there any interest in a group buy on this?

ps I have no relationship with the seller, just someone looking to save some money.

bulldawg81 said:
Just a fyi, barredboss has on ebay 12"x8.5" heatsinks available. He was mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible source. In addition he states he will discount large orders. The only bad thing with these heatsinks, the fins run horizontal. Is there any interest in a group buy on this? ...

You volunteering Bulldawg?

heat sinks here http://cgi.ebay.com/HEATSINK-ALUMIN...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Stand them on end 3 in a row and it makes for a nicely proportioned 6 channel amp or cut them down to 9.5-10" and you can mount two channels perpendicular to the fins and make a 17" deep 10" high 4 channel amp.

I would be interested in 6+ if we get enough interest, although I suspect the price break may not be enough to warrant a GB effort.