Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

Adapter Expose

Candidate Adapter Types for a Le Cleach Horn:

1) Freehafer/Geddies Hyperbolic Profile, where Radius of Curvature Decreases with Curve Length as a Conical Bell Asymptote is Approached

For the math see my earlier post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...n-compression-driver-os-horn.html#post2326969

2) Hughes Quadratic (Toroidal) Throat, where a Constant Radius of Curvature is used to Enjoin a Conical Horn Bell. The differences between this profile and #1 are primarily academic, so no math reference is provided here.

3) Salmon’s Hyperbolic (cosine-sine) Horn Family, where Radius of Curvature Increases with Curve Length.
a) Profile Generated Using Ordinal Dimensions only.
b) Profile Generated Using Le Cleach's Edge Tracing Method.

Note that the dimensional difference between 3a and 3b are not significant so long as the adapter does not materially extend beyond the horn neck and into the bell region.

For the math required for #3a, see the ms/word file attached to my earlier post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/140190-jean-michel-lecleach-horns-124.html#post2737430

Quote: “In some cases the adding of the adapter will introduce the profile slope t(hat) will loose 1st order or second order continuity and this is IMHO a bad thing.” JMLC

The presence of this discontinuity is clearly demonstrated for Adapter #1 and #2 curvitures, but not for #3 above.

Regards

WHG

Last edited:
Adapter Expose (Corrected)

Text corrected to recognize that a Decrease in Curvature requires a corresponding Increase in its Radius. Surprised no one here caught this error.

Candidate Adapter Types for a Le Cleach Horn:

1) Freehafer/Geddies Hyperbolic Profile, where Radius of Curvature Increases with Curve Length as a Conical Bell Asymptote is Approached

For the math see my earlier post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...n-compression-driver-os-horn.html#post2326969

2) Hughes Quadratic (Toroidal) Throat, where a Constant Radius of Curvature is used to Enjoin a Conical Horn Bell. The differences between this profile and #1 are primarily academic, so no math reference is provided here.

3) Salmon’s Hyperbolic (cosine-sine) Horn Family, where Radius of Curvature Decreases with Curve Length.
a) Profile Generated Using Ordinal Dimensions only.
b) Profile Generated Using Le Cleach's Edge Tracing Method.

Note that the dimensional difference between 3a and 3b are not significant so long as the adapter does not materially extend beyond the horn neck and into the bell region.

For the math required for #3a, see the ms/word file attached to my earlier post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/140190-jean-michel-lecleach-horns-124.html#post2737430

Quote: “In some cases the adding of the adapter will introduce the profile slope t(hat) will loose 1st order or second order continuity and this is IMHO a bad thing.” JMLC

The presence of this discontinuity is clearly demonstrated for Adapter #1 and #2 curvitures, but not for #3 above.

Regards

WHG

Finally, I had my 695Hz mould made and here is the first casting being tested in a friends system:

Attachments

• lec1.jpg
    lec1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 547
  • lec2.jpg
    lec2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 543
I am a newbie for horn. and i start to learn thing about horn one weeks ago, and i wonder... is it a dream or something impossible to make one single LeCleac'h horns with 2 compression drivers from 600Hz ...and up.. ?

how's should i start? As i do not want to buy any off the shelf speaker any more and i wanna build one for myself

my listening area is about 800 square FT..... i feel i need something big..

speaker i am using is Wilson Maxx2 and Grand slam

any advice is much appreciated...

how do i start, i am almost a dummies for electronic from 2 weeks ago, and i am a mechanical and chemical Engineer.. i am learning..

many thx

Hello,

Here is a (not the most recent) picture of the 3 ways system of my friend Didier.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/subwoofers/249363d1321262942-hornresp-stand_horn_didier.jpg
There is a bass horn of the stand type calculated by me to fit exactly the width of Didier's listening room, a 200Hz round Le CLéac'h horn loading a 2 inches compression driver and a Fostex tweeter.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

I am a newbie for horn. and i start to learn thing about horn one weeks ago, and i wonder... is it a dream or something impossible to make one single LeCleac'h horns with 2 compression drivers from 600Hz ...and up.. ?

how's should i start? As i do not want to buy any off the shelf speaker any more and i wanna build one for myself

my listening area is about 800 square FT..... i feel i need something big..

speaker i am using is Wilson Maxx2 and Grand slam

any advice is much appreciated...

how do i start, i am almost a dummies for electronic from 2 weeks ago, and i am a mechanical and chemical Engineer.. i am learning..

many thx

HI all....
thx
thx
thx

I noticed there a few people building those floor horn.., very impressive..

at this stage i still enjoy Bass from Direct Radiation drivers..cone

My idea ...is having a something from 600hz to 20K hz..or a little bit beyond 20Khz, by a horn which use 2 drivers ,Ideally..the Diameter of the Mouth..is less than 15 inch...,

I am very demadning one those micro details..and the sense.....from the recording and the space..haha..., however i do not want to buy any more off the shelf..speaker.. i may not get them from making my won speaker..but i wanna try..haha

from non stop learning from last week...i think i can manage.,.ONE Driver Horn design...but i want one horn 2 drivers.., which it is oput of my imagination..at this stage.. so i so wanting soem advice

the the bass may be taken care by 4 x 15" drivers drive down to around 35hz..

i wanna keep the overall size..within something compact.. sone like a REy Audio Warp..Monitors

it is very important for me to know the possiblility of having 2 quality drivers into one horn in term of HI End standards....3D sound staging..etc..

Last edited:
My idea ...is having a something from 600hz to 20K hz..or a little bit beyond 20Khz, by a horn which use 2 drivers , Ideally..the Diameter of the Mouth..is less than 15 inch...,

it is very important for me to know the possiblility of having 2 quality drivers into one horn in term of HI End standards....3D sound staging..etc..

Do you mean you want 2 compression drivers of the same reference on the same horn to increase RMS or a mid compression driver + an HF copression driver as a tweeter on the same horn?

A high-pass cut off frequency of 400Hz needs a larger horn (acoustical cut-off of the horn around 200Hz) than a high-pass cut off frequency of 600Hz (acoustical cut-off of the horn around 300Hz).

As 600Hz is very near of the median frequency of the medium range (sqrt( 200Hz * 2000Hz) = 632Hz) I think that if a larger horn is accepted then it is IMHO most desireable to lower the cut-off frequency.

If you are sensitive to resolution then a bass horn as Didier's bass horn will provide you far more resolution that Direct Radiation drivers.

About the difference between a tractrix horn and a Le CLéac'h horn, please read

Tractrix
http://users.cms.caltech.edu/~ps/Horn1.pdf

Le Cléac'h horn
http://users.cms.caltech.edu/~ps/Horn2.pdf

regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

"Do you mean you want 2 compression drivers of the same reference on the same horn to increase RMS or a mid compression driver + an HF copression driver as a tweeter on the same horn?"

Yes ....this is what i wish.2 compression drivers feed to one horn..for RMS....
Yes...if i can have 2 compression drivers and one HF into one horn..then...would be lovely
Yes..i also like to know..one MF and ONE HF compression units..fed to a round horn too..

thx for the link...

*8A high-pass cut off frequency of 400Hz needs a larger horn (acoustical cut-off of the horn around 200Hz) than a high-pass cut off frequency of 600Hz (acoustical cut-off of the horn around 300Hz).

As 600Hz is very near of the median frequency of the medium range (sqrt( 200Hz * 2000Hz) = 632Hz) I think that if a larger horn is accepted then it is IMHO most desireable to lower the cut-off frequency.

I trend to a smaller horn, as if i put 2 bass driver and 2 bass drivers at above and below the horn.., ..asmaller horn may likely give me a little bit more favorite..for Coaxial effect..from all those drivers.., i also notice the lower cut off horn is almost 900 mm in diameter.. and the 600hz horn is about 330 mm

Hi, hahayan, i believe you can do what you need with a unique 1 " driver: JBL 2426 J.

This driver is supposed to be a 16 Ohm one, but, in fact will give-you, after motional and zobel compensation a 7 ohms impedance all the way.

That's the one i use with my two way system.

if it is the case.., i shall need to design a dual throat and ....using the same horn as ONe driver?