JBL M2 for The Poors

Btw, it is not so hard to find a Beyma 15" with the same flat behavior than the Celestion Buy out you missed (an even flater at average 98 dB).... But the price of course !

If the Seos horn is avaliable standalone : I will go indeed for the B&C or the Beyma compression CP380/m : COMPRESSION DRIVERS CP-380/M | Beyma

Like Beyma a lot, the CP-380/M a true classic, I would probably prefer it to the B&C.
Their woofers are fabulous too. But there is something special about some 15" UK mid/lows like Celestion, Fane and older stuff like Goodmans. However, I am not into Tannoy and KEF coaxial stuff.

Btw, it is not so hard to find a Beyma 15" with the same flat behavior than the Celestion Buy out you missed (an even flater at average 98 dB).... But the price of course !

If the Seos horn is avaliable standalone : I will go indeed for the B&C or the Beyma compression CP380/m : COMPRESSION DRIVERS CP-380/M | Beyma

15", flat : LOW & MID FREQUENCY 15WRS400 | Beyma

nearly flat 15" : LOW & MID FREQUENCY 15LW30 | Beyma

nearly flat : LOW & MID FREQUENCY 15MI100 | Beyma

Compared to small low efficiency hifi midwoofers, i do not find these carton 15 inchers any refined in the mids, though can play much louder. Maybe are still usable crossed really low with a big mouth like this...:rolleyes:

MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma...

"Compared to small low efficiency hifi midwoofers, i do not find these carton 15 inchers any refined in the mids, though can play much louder. Maybe are still usable crossed really low with a big mouth like this"

It may be worth your time to seek out an audition to the old JBL 4430 studio monitor.

30 years ago I sold KEF, B&W, Magnepan, etc, and found the JBL 4430 to be superior in many ways (and at lest cost) than the others.

A friend I worked with just sold up his audio business, but before he did he bought a pair of the non-powered M2 (I can't remember the model number). I need to go hear them. His shop at one time had 8 of the 10 best reviewed Stereophile loudspeakers (under one roof), and so had people flying in to audition them. I personally did not care for any of them (considering their cost/value ratio), nor did I have the $100,000+ price that some were.

I would like to compare his (passive) M2 with the 2384/2435 combo (which I bi-amp).

Has anyone listened to the D2430K vs the 2435?

Last edited:
It may be worth your time to seek out an audition to the old JBL 4430 studio monitor.

30 years ago I sold KEF, B&W, Magnepan, etc, and found the JBL 4430 to be superior in many ways (and at lest cost) than the others.

Buff, me educated with LS3/5A, me kind of martian... What is that 4430 good for? :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCEURBYEGo

Last edited:
" me educated with LS3/5A"

They would make a nice pair of headphones (with a coat-hanger).

" What is that 4430 good for?"

It's a large floor-standing loudspeaker, and sounds good at any distance (even at an arm's length). The tonal balance does not shift much at all between sitting, standing, moving around, etc.

There are better horns and drivers available now, the 2384/2435 being just one example. I know there is a 100°x100° horn available for the 2435 to make an updated version of the 4430 with.

A friend I worked with just sold up his audio business, but before he did he bought a pair of the non-powered M2 (I can't remember the model number).
There is no such thing as a passive M2.
It is an active system with a complementary passive network for the compression driver, doing part of the filtering and level adjustment.

thats what I like about the M2.
Though, in essence its not a true classical 2 way, due to the coaxial, it is a fairly straightforward design.
The compression driver is not a coaxial driver: the two rings are operating over the same frequency range in a push-push design, and can be configured either in series (32 ohms, as used in the M2) or parallel (8 ohm) without any passive filtering involved.

Very curious to listen to this M2 in the bass register (and mid as XO is > 1000 Hz)
The acoustical crossover is at 800Hz

" What is that 4430 good for?"

It's a large floor-standing loudspeaker, and sounds good at any distance (even at an arm's length). The tonal balance does not shift much at all between sitting, standing, moving around, etc.

It's not that i am twisted against horns, simply that i find any >8' woofer i have heard or used sound plain awfull playing mids...ohhh that PA whisky bar sound....:eek: Btw, i don't care at all about dynamics nor playing loud, just concerned about neutral tone, low distortion and imaging, and not really a big fan of headphones either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUliUWMrMZA

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I think the cheapest if you don't want to go with all the M2 parts sold at Speaker Exchange like they did in the Lansing Heritge bar is to go for the stock passive one and putt the filter than pos member writted (translation of the genuine passive one) for MiniDsp. Btw, the last MiniDSP little 2x4 is now FIR proof, digital in USB ready...

Less than 10 000 USD ?

Me want to listen the Yorkville Unity U15, the Danley of the Poor... unfornatully not hearable in France... Don't know if Yorkville Canada is still making it !

yes.I am going to buy the miniDSP . Will order the M2 without their DSP/Amps.

Thanks,
RNMarsh

The least part of it, as far as my religion rules...::D

Really, i might be picky with other things, not at all with this: life like performance does not matter cause i listen to very low doméstic levels, and higher Spl really bother me.

Ah, your set of preferences put certain technolocigal aspects in a different light.
From my experience with, often low sensivity, but otherwise well designed smaller (BBC type of studio) monitor speakers, I know these are capable of many great things. Unfortunately, to me at least, dynamics is not their forte. This may be less of an issue at low SPL, but becomes problematic at higher SPL due to compression artefacts. I would trade a small loss in resolution, less than perfect measurement data etc. anytime for the merits of high sensitivity. 'Taste' is a subjective phenomenom.

Last edited:
Ah, your set of preferences put certain technolocigal aspects in a different light.
From my experience with, often low sensivity, but otherwise well designed smaller (BBC type of studio) monitor speakers, I know these are capable of many great things. Unfortunately, to me at least, dynamics is not their forte. This may be less of an issue at low SPL, but becomes problematic at higher SPL due to compression artefacts. I would trade a small loss in resolution, less than perfect measurement data etc. anytime for the merits of high sensitivity. 'Taste' is a subjective phenomenom.

For me lower spl simply means farther from the source, i have no problem with this, and don't like to hear close to the music. That's a mere question of taste. Other might prefer a more physical experience. It's psy, i agree.:cool:

Btw, i am not sure about this, but at high SPL, i think that even if the gear do not distort too much, my own ears do distort badly, and that what make me prefer low SPL listening.

Last edited:
Btw, i am not sure about this, but at high SPL, i think that even if the gear do not distort too much, my own ears do distort badly, and that what make me prefer low SPL listening.

You are right about inner ear distortion as several publications on this topic have shown.
As long as SPL remains within sane levels and provided the room is large enough, I like the effect of 'being part of the music' as opposed to 'listening to music'.

Last edited:
Buff, me educated with LS3/5A, me kind of martian... What is that 4430 good for? :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCEURBYEGo

No offense, but many of your claims here seem to be taste-based judgments. If you truly don't have a taste for these kinds of speakers then why spend so much time writing about them? You've made your disdain for the 'JBL sound' very clear, so why keep harping on the same points? :confused:

No offense, but many of your claims here seem to be taste-based judgments. If you truly don't have a taste for these kinds of speakers then why spend so much time writing about them? You've made your disdain for the 'JBL sound' very clear, so why keep harping on the same points? :confused:

...Maybe because many claim the M2 is not sounding as a JBL anymore while being the best ever made ????? Sort of UFO for martians !

Btw I remember having read on the other bar about the M2, some wanted to put the expensive JBL 47x Be compression driver instead the BMS oem (which is not really a compression driver and is co axial as a member pointed out above)

Last edited: