• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

It's heeeeeere!- Valve Amplifiers 4th Edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Morgan says that he actually has physical copies, so Newnes is apparently shipping.

Newnes uses Elsevier Direct for international distribution. They still show it as unpublished. I did find a UK source when I looked around yesterday but I can't find it now. I will just wait for Amazon.

Morgan emailed me about two years ago asking if he could include some PowerDrive information. I have no idea if it made the cut though.

Paper or Kindle.......I don't want to get my wifes Kindle too close to the workbench due to the probability of it getting broken. On the other hand the paper copy of the third edition started losing pages within a few months. My original 1973 edition RCA tube manual is in better shape.

On the other hand the paper copy of the third edition started losing pages within a few months. My original 1973 edition RCA tube manual is in better shape.

Let's hope for better/more binding glue this time around.

Heyraz: "Valve Amplifiers" is where most of the theory is. "Building Valve Amplifiers" is the construction tips and methods sidekick book.

Last edited:
Screen drive implies that the audio drive signal is applied to G2 instead of G1. You won't find it in tube books, and it is sill relatively experimental. There have been a few commercially made screen drive amps (Berning comes to mind).

Screen drive has the major advantage of high efficiency. This can be exploited to get big power out of small tubes. The disadvantage is that very large drive voltages are required with grid current being drawn. It is easy to over dissipate the screen causing a fireball inside the tube.

Here is the schematic for an experiment I made several years ago. It is also at the bottom of this page:

6AV5GA testing

Search through the "tube sale at AES" thread. Some screen drive experiments there sucked 125 watts out of a pair of 98 cent tubes for a while until I tried to get more blowing the screen grid out of the tube.

Attachments

• screendriveamp800_b.jpg
    screendriveamp800_b.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 710
  • TL6AV5_P-P.jpg
    TL6AV5_P-P.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 721
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.