• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

It's heeeeeere!- Valve Amplifiers 4th Edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MJ's book, Tube CAD Journal is essentially everything you need to know whether it's basic or cutting edge tube business. If you need a book which describes whether you can tube roll a certain tube in a certain amp, then I can't help you.

The rest is personal preferences. As a physicist I love exact arithmetic expressions as given by Amos & Birkinshaw - "Television engineering, principles and practice". A nice book. But since I started to simulate the hell out of every circuit, you don't even need that :)

I don't think anyone buys these books for the projects, the amps are shown as design exercises.

True. It does help if you can read the schematic in the design exercises, though. :)

I recommend MJ's books to anyone interested in learning tube circuits. Those of us with a solid electronics background (but no vacuum tube knowledge) can skip directly to the description of how vacuum tubes work (Ch 2).
Those who are new to electronics should really work through Chapter 1 with a fine toothed comb until they understand the material and can apply it to actual circuits. I'm surprised MJ doesn't include a circuits analysis book in the recommended readings to Chapter 1. Something like Hayt & Kemmerly would seem an obvious choice.

I see now why I missed the "Statistical Regulator". Sorry. Stacking a bunch of zeners is not my cup of tea. I'd rather throw a control loop at the problem and have actual regulation. Each to their own, I guess.

~Tom

Last edited:
Last year I got the chance to read the 3rd edition from a local library. I wanted to borrow it again but when it turned up it was the 4th edition so now I'm reading the latest. One thing I noticed was that he had a delayed turn-on power supply circuit in the 3rd edition which I can't find in the 4th edition. He does caution users of SS rectifiers for HT supply but does not suggest a delay-on circuit. Anybody know why ?

I remember reading at least one thread around here that explained that for most of the tubes we use, there is no issue applying HT before the heater is hot and that there is much misinformation to the contrary. I was sure hoping Morgan would have been clearer on this topic - or maybe I haven't read that bit yet ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.