Is there such a thing as a TL opened at both ends ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check out "Rocking the Kazba"

Another way of doing (somewhat differently) what you are proposing can be found in a thread called "Rocking the Kazba." In this case it is a form of an open baffle design using the Karlson baffle to reduce the box opening to couple the driver better with the air.

Another similar concept are slot loaded designs, such as slot loaded open baffle, or SLOB.

I suggest reviewing such threads.

Retsel

Do you think there are any programs that could be used to simulate it?

You can come plenty 'close enough' in HR by doing an offset driver TL, then terminating it with a 0.01 cm length/0.01 cm^2 area. This somewhat smaller than a pinhole will be much too restrictive to affect the sim or real world performance assuming you have a drill bit small enough to test it. ;)

Ditto for doing plane wave tube [PWT] sims.

GM

A tapped horn is not an opened pipe - it has one end closed; the difference is in the way the driver sits "inside" the enclosure.
I am not familiar with the Karlson design but looks like some kind of horn, a double Karlson would be the same thing even if the sides communicate as in this picture - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/268524-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-26.html - that is still a closed end - the baffle on which the woofers are mounted is the closed end of the waveguide. Same thing here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/271011-rockin-kazba-dipole-k-aperture-z-baffle-dipole.html there is no communication between the waveguides... they're just neighburs.
The slot loaded open baffle thing is hard to classify as an enclosure... that's for sure not a pipe, maybe I'm (slightly) wrong, it's hard to find a proper sketch to see how there things are designed but from the images I find on diyaudio.com these things are not pipes they are just siamese architectures... in general.

I'm going to repeat: the purpose of the thread is to locate projects/designs and the theory for a variation of the transmission line, the difference being the fact that the pipe has no closed end, both are open to communicate with the outside environment.

Yes I'm afraid people have been going off at tangents because of their paranoid fear of the alien creature you are describing. It's perfectly clear to me what you are after. Has GM's idea of a way to simulate it have any possibility in your eyes?

The Karlson is an extreme hybrid with a personality disorder

Last edited:

Attachments

• Open pipe exp.jpg
    Open pipe exp.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 117
OK, sim it in HR as a closed tube [plucked string modes] for 'close enough' or use AkAbak.

GM

Hornresp will not make a good enough simulation because - this was mentioned before - this pipe has double the number of harmonics, so for example a 50 hz pipe will also resonate at 100, while a closed end pipe will skip this one and only resonate at 150 hz; and the nulls will be different for sure.

I have never used AkAbak.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.