is there a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read somewhere that the myth of the directional cable was derived from the arrows used to indicate the "source" on studio cable snakes where due to bundling, sheer length and all the equipment usually around them, it was handy to know which end was which without spending half an hour or so tracing its length :confused:

I think it got started when someone realized that attaching a cable backwards caused holes to be transported, rather than electrons. Holes, being lighter (effective mass between nothingness and eternity), flow more easily, giving the music more pace and rhythm. What that nameless Patient Zero didn't realize was the confounding factor- orientation with respect to the magnetic north-south axis. When that orientation is altered, electrons tend to crowd to one side of the wire, making the sound pinched and colorless.

Since then, many cable manufacturers have pounced on the mistake, added their own arrows, and helped perpetuate the myth. This is a good indication of the level of morality in the high end audio business.

Geek said:

AH-HA!!!!

That's why my warp drive has been rough lately... the plasma conduits are in BACKWARDS! :tilt: :scratch:

Is this a good time to toss this link out again? :D

http://www.tech-diy.com/audio_bs.htm

Cheers!

That explains many things !

Andy

PS:- Years ago, a person with many years experience in geophysics told me a phrase which subsequently found its way into many reports........ " an unconsolidated sediment of non-specific biomass "

which translates as ??

poynton said:

Have you tried lifting the cables off the floor?

I believe you can buy purpose made cable stands for this.

Andy

A1 Tuning Cable Support - the Power Play

The Harmonix A1s aren't just cable supports. If you put them in expecting better isolation from resonances and floor-borne RF eddy currents, you'd be right, but that's the least they do. They drastically change the characteristic signature of speaker wires and are at least as powerful as the RF-999MT. Their effects are more similar to the Harmonix Enacom AC devices (coming up in a Harmonix Part II review), but go beyond even that. Unlikely as it may seem for a humble cable support, the Harmonix A1 can super-charge dynamics, low-end thrust and fullness. Try them early on, before you acquire other Harmonix products. What with all the Harmonix Tuning I have working along similar lines, their effect was too much for me.

It's the low-end thrust that does it for me!

Andy

It all has to do with the way the wire is extruded, seen under electron microsope x20,000 or more, the surface of the wire, which is where the electrons flow more freely, is littered with crevices, which due to the extrusion process are more or less unidirectional, forming localised eddies and micro-currents - and those currents are different based on the direction. Like riding the surface of waves, the length travelled changes depending if you ride on the cress or cut across etc Another popular misconception is "the current is AC anyway", which is not correct, the current is "varying DC" for lack of better term, always directional.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
akis said:
It all has to do with the way the wire is extruded, seen under electron microsope x20,000 or more, the surface of the wire, which is where the electrons flow more freely, is littered with crevices, which due to the extrusion process are more or less unidirectional, forming localised eddies and micro-currents - and those currents are different based on the direction. Like riding the surface of waves, the length travelled changes depending if you ride on the cress or cut across etc Another popular misconception is "the current is AC anyway", which is not correct, the current is "varying DC" for lack of better term, always directional.

varying dc so... ac then? (assuming no offset)

MisterTwister said:
people who can hear difference in cables. with your mighty hearing, what do you think of baffle edge diffraction?
it is certainly measurable, but is it audible? I still very much doubt that it is audible.

Sure, they synthesize granular hexaform and strategize clean-slate channels, while continue to enhance laser-etched experiences and embrace Mozartian schemas.

Source: http://www.tech-diy.com/audio_bs.htm

poynton said:
PS:- Years ago, a person with many years experience in geophysics told me a phrase which subsequently found its way into many reports........ " an unconsolidated sediment of non-specific biomass "

which translates as ??

A pile of sh*t.

Well, no one answered...

P.S. - "help me! I'm trapped in Libya"

Better than being trapped in Dubya!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.