is lab horn the best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

It may be interesting to note, that Wayne Parham's 12Pi Dual Lab12 FLH has a Hornresp net volume of 797.356 L, just cutting the areas/volumes in half (for a single driver FLH) would result in 398.678 L. If you simulate a FLH in Hornresp with an V_net of about 200 L you'll be giving up 10 Hz of low end extension v. Wayne's 800 L box. I cannot get to 126 dB @ 40Hz with this volume in Hornresp; it'll definitely be interesting to see what Art comes up with.

Regards,

Hi,

It may be interesting to note, that Wayne Parham's 12Pi Dual Lab12 FLH has a Hornresp net volume of 797.356 L, just cutting the areas/volumes in half (for a single driver FLH) would result in 398.678 L. If you simulate a FLH in Hornresp with an V_net of about 200 L you'll be giving up 10 Hz of low end extension v. Wayne's 800 L box. I cannot get to 126 dB @ 40Hz with this volume in Hornresp; it'll definitely be interesting to see what Art comes up with.

Regards,
I was mistaken, the 126 dB at 40 in a 180 liter FLH excursion went way high at 40 Hz, with a HP it would be about 126 dB more like 44 Hz.

Added some length to the horn to lower Fc, the sim now looks like 124 dB at 38 Hz.
Long skinny horn path...

And just how much maximum output will the Tuba have around 30Hz, when it's operating as a sealed box?

An extended LF response is pointless without the output capability to use it.

I have a Table Tuba running 2 8"MCM drivers and it will put out a good deal of bass at 30Hz. I think the horn path length it 11.5' and from what I have read it will starts acting like a sealed box at 15Hz. I think the total dimensions of my horn is 15"x30"x55".

Maybe I am wrong. All I know is that when I crank it up with some dubstep it plays it with authority.

Any updates art?

Yes.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/217929-lab-12-domino-dflh.html

The Domino did not do as well in the LF as the sims predicted, but is a potent cabinet nonetheless.

If the bass below 50 Hz is more important to you than the bass 50 Hz and above, I'd suggest a slimmed single Lab 12" or 15" version of the Keystone
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/185588-keystone-sub-using-18-15-12-inch-speakers.html
otherwise the Domino is a real killer for the size, 45 x 22.5 x 17 inches.

Art Welter

Attachments

• DominoDFLHext.jpg
    DominoDFLHext.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Six LabHorns will do a great job ... the job they were designed to do. There is nothing louder & lower & smaller & lighter. Most people don't need six LabHorns, and building one LabHorn is a waste ...
LabHorns are a specific trade off of extension and size. But it's 240 pounds of Baltic Birch, so I can't that the word "lighter" belongs in the same sentence.
... and Bill Fitz has nothing that compares
And you are quite correct in saying that, because Bill systematically and consciously trades extension for weight and pack space.

For 95% of all live music situations, extension below 40Hz is unnecessary.
If you are not DJing EDM, dubstep or the like, extension below 40Hz is unnecessary.

If you must have extension, get big boxes.

If your situation doesn't need the extension, don't get big boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.