Interesting cable from Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does it have arrows so we know which direction to put it?
No, it has no direction at all. Has your plug the right direction?

How long does it take to break in?
There is no need to break in, except because of the plug. Is there any firm claiming the break in time of their RCA plug?

How long before it wears out?
More than you should worry about it.

How fast is it?
You can use it in the 100 megahertz region, if you twist them properly.

Is it Oxygen free?
Yes, it is.

Who is the manufacturer?
It is made in Hungary as a whole

What is the part number?
bad question

Where is the data sheet?
bad question

Where did you get it and how?
bad question, see answer above

Judge before hearing it is vicious and slightly baroque:)

poobah said:
It's a certainty that somewhere, somehow, the application of resistance will improve things. I have wondered the same thing about serendipitous cancellation in tube rigs being resonsible for the charmed reputation of carbon comps.

The danger lies in falsely assessing causality; especially when it comes to something like cable...

:xeye:

Agreed, with no bias or reference to any particular product.

Personally, I do not believe we can hear the difference between materials, nor do I consider cables to be a 'component' per se, except insofar as their electrical properties can affect the response of the components attached to each end, for example, a power-amp and drive-unit, in either a benefical or detrimental fashion, depending on what you need it to do. Theoretically, in a well-designed system, you shouldn't need a cable to do anything other than carry a signal, but life is rarely ideal.

Scottmoose said:

Agreed, with no bias or reference to any particular product.

Personally, I do not believe we can hear the difference between materials, nor do I consider cables to be a 'component' per se, except insofar as their electrical properties can affect the response of the components attached to each end, for example, a power-amp and drive-unit, in either a benefical or detrimental fashion, depending on what you need it to do. Theoretically, in a well-designed system, you shouldn't need a cable to do anything other than carry a signal, but life is rarely ideal.

the quality of your cables are just as important as the quality of the capacitors used in your "components"

a system is an integral components of its own. to mismatch one component throws off the entirety of the system as a whole.

now, in a perfect system, you would have you, in an empty space listening to the thoughts of an individual minus the medium in which it is transmitted.

so perhaps a cable has meaning or importance to the system its providing for... to discredit that is to discredit what the original goal of the first hi-fi stereo system was in the first place.

authenticity. its a personal choice on who strives for it or not. but i'm pretty sure the reason behind the debate of cable quality is derived from that fact.

poobah said:
.... I have wondered the same thing about serendipitous cancellation in tube rigs being resonsible for the charmed reputation of carbon comps.....

I doubt it in the general case. Effectively nulling the second harmonic by cancellation requires close matching of harmonic injection between the two devices across a wide range of operating levels. It's not an easy target to hit and pure luck without plenty of measurements.

Of course it's electrical parameters affect other components. But 'quality' of wire means very little. Quality does not automatically mean OFC, silver, carbon, teflon, gold or a flood of precious metals or odd substances. It just means choosing the right thing for the right situation. 30AWG magnet wire is a 'quality' cable for example if used in circumstances in which it would benefit the system's accuracy. Whether or not you tailor the effect a piece of wire makes to minimise or maximise these is of course down to the bloke designing the system in the first place.

For myself, there are no capaciors at all in my amplifier (apart from it's power supply) or speakers, not that they've ever given me great cause for concern anyway as transformers and transitors, to say nothing of the source, produce far more distortion than they do. Most fancy caps produce more distortion than regular types according to the measurements I've seen BTW.

Scottmoose said:
It just means choosing the right thing for the right situation. 30AWG magnet wire is a 'quality' cable for example if used in circumstances in which it would benefit the system's accuracy.

Funny you should mention it because a pair of 18 guage magnet wires hanging in air (no sheath, all air dielectric save for the RCA connectors) are my favourite interconnects right now. Probably $5 a pair. For me it's not a 'sky opens up' change and near inaudible with some speakers but one consistent difference is the way the system reacts to RF. This open wire construction results is less noise from the tweeters (98 dB efficient) than twisted pair silver. Both require an ear to the tweeter to hear BTW. I can't grasp why and have to believe component interactions of this kind well above the audio band are responsible for some reported differences.

I got mine!

... received in good condition by mail. ;)

Two sets received, two different "guages", enough for two complete, short 3 "wire" cable sets.

Planning to test as braided, balanced, 3 conductor with XLR cables:
* with and without shield
* with and without silver/copper wire as ground connection

For use as interconnect between pre-amp / mixer and amp and as microphone cable.

... Results to follow.
:smash:

It took me some time but I had some things to do. here is what me and friend perceived from first listening of tarcupers carbon cable sample:

system was nothing fancy:
-Cd player Marantz CD 17
-amp is Marantz PM 17
-speakers are B&W P6
-he is using cardas twin link interconnects and speaker cables also cardas, crosslink speaker cable
That way system is enough balanced that it is not tiresome listening for many hours and can make me enjoy music.

First impression of 25 cm interconnects between cd and amp are:
-good balance
-details are there
-good control of bass
-carbon cable needs more power from amp for same listening volume comparing with cardas, but nothing to be worried in this system
-nothing falls apart when complex and loud music is played
-so far so good, we are pleased with this cable in this particular system

Thanks for sending me samples.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.