Interesting cable from Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cutting up the cable

Tarcuper,

I have received the carbon cables. Thanks. I have decided to use is as hookup cables in my preamp build. Does this make sense? Sometimes I ask myself if this is logical as the rest of the tracks in the PCBs is just normal copper.

Anyway, my proposal is to cut up the carbon cable to my desired lengths and terminate them using my own crimp connectors. I am aiming for the shortest possible signal paths. Please advise how I should go about this and what crimp connectors should be used. I have not taken apart the heatshrink of your cable to check them out yet. Need your advise.

closer to the front?

" ... I have decided to use is as hookup cables in my preamp build. Does this make sense? ..."

Yes, and the closer to the pick up(s), the better. If there is a noticable difference it should occure close to a microphone, guitar pickup or phonograph cartrage ... between the pickup(s) and the pre-amp of incoming into the first amplification stage ... There may already be some discussions about using carbon conductors between the phono cartrage and the first pre-amp stage.

Alternately you might consider using it between a quality stand alone pre-amp and the amp.

As Tarcuper has already noted, the "wire" has about 5 ohms impedence per meter, so connections between high impedence inputs and outputs is probably a better choice.

(Using this stuff for speaker "wire" would most certainly be wasteful and counter productive. Example: 8 ohm impedence of speakers being changed by the 5 to 10 ohm contribution of the "wire".)

:smash:

jasonlky said:
Should I be concerned about the mechanical pressure applied to crimp the carbon conductors to the solderable wires?
Yes you should crimp in that way with a wire tubing made from Cu.
Interesting fact, that the shorter the carbon cable, not better the sound. Interconnect cable about 25 cm length does not sound better, than say 70 cm.
If anybody wants more cable, email me the punctual lengths, and I make it so and send to you.
It costs 4 euro/m + 1 euro/connection. I think, it is not much for that quality. I am excitedly waiting for the impressions about the use of samples.
:yes:

jarthel said:
received the cables.

1. can I use it as a hookup wire? amp pcb to the output leads?
2. can I twist 2 wires together?
3. from reading other replies, it seems I cannot cut these wires?

thank you.
Of course, this cable is excellent as hook up wire.
You can twist them easily, and it's recommended.
Do not cut it now please, if you like it, you can order them in any length with contacts.

Hey if its good enough for spark plugs on a 1990 caprice its good enough for high end ;) Why, just why can't I think of things like this to sell? While on the topic of ridiculous cables. Ever see those cables advertised in stereophile that need 36v of bias along the length for some odd reason?

poobah said:
I guess...

It is COMPLETELY retarded though. This may be the most asinine thing I've heard from here yet.

I've got some .030 self-fluxing welding wire I'm gonna try as interconnects w/o the ground...

they'll replace the coat hangers I've been using for 20 yrs. or so...

...way I figure it, you can't git ground loops w/o that silly ole ground wire on the outside screwing things up...so it should have less noise floor signal

:D

Why? ... why not?

" ... Why are people considering this nutty stuff? ..."

Why not! ... seems like it is worthwhile trying it, even if the math does not look right (5 ohms per meter >=not=< 0.05 ohms per meter).

It may be possible that the use of carbon conductors in certain situations could prove to be better than current technologies or standard practices.

It may be a waste of time, but sometimes us DIY types feel the need to try something new, just see if we are missing anything.

(I believe it will make good, possibly great, microphone cable ... but I gotta try it first to be sure.)

:smash:

That might explain having a degree in physics and no job in physics... in your own words.

Really dude... whacky is whacky. It's one thing to sell BS... it's another thing to embrace it.

Can't y'all just put resistors in series with your cables and pretend?

:(

This is FRIGHTENING... it REALLY is.

:(

Thanks poobah, your comment has been noted.

i'm sure there's a reason why this gentleman is sampling his cables...

Understanding the drawback of carbon I for one am still willing to see it measured and scrutinised under my own means.

If perhaps nothing can come of these cables then i just wont buy his next shipment to canada.

however, if there are some benefits we haven't seen with using carbon,

then a few us will be on the early bandwagon.

only way to find out is to try it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.