• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Intelligent Curve Tracer 3.0 release

Hi folks, I really want to buy a curve tracer mostly for MOSFET matching, looks like LockyZ’s is a better option over Peak Atlas simply because of the current it can test under.

I’m curious about the user experience, is it a very big learning curve or is rather easy to use?

I don’t think there are any better options for hobbyists on this budget, are there?

Thanks!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
People who use curve tracers are, more often than not, leaders not followers. I suggest you buy this curve tracer, use it, and decide whether it meets your requirements or not. As a leader.

Or, if money is a problem (or if cojones is a problem), DON'T buy this curve tracer. Wait until an Alpha Male buys it, uses it, recommends it, and eliminates all worry among the low-money, low-cojones buying public. Why should YOU take a risk? Let One Of The Bosses take a risk -- you can huddle safely beneath a Security Blanket and let another (braver) person figure out whether it's worth the money. Don't participate in anything risky! Oh no.

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely looks interesting but unfortunately for me I don’t have 2 PSUs like those, the ones you use are not for sale in the US and even if ordered them from Europe that would cost as much as 4 times as LockyZ’s board.

Not sure what you mean here. The software works with different types of power supplies. It currently supports a number of Korad/RND, Voltcraft, and B&K power supplies (see here: GitHub - mbrennwa/PyPSUcurvetrace: Python program for I-V curve tracing of electronic parts using programmable power supplies ). Adding support for other units is possible. Do you already have some programmable power supplies that would fit your voltage and current needs?

Also, I don't understand why you think you can't buy Korad, Voltcraft, or B&K in the US. Just take a look at Amazon or Google it (it just took me a few seconds to find a few in the US of A). If this were an issue, you surely can't get a Locky board...

Do you already have some programmable power supplies that would fit your voltage and current needs?

Also, I don't understand why you think you can't buy Korad, Voltcraft, or B&K in the US. Just take a look at Amazon or Google it (it just took me a few seconds to find a few in the US of A).

Thank You !!

Well I found them now as Korad rather than RND, I also found that Voltcraft ones that are half the power but also half the price but that may fit my Hobbyist needs.

I looked into my stuff and I found that I have 1 Programmable Power Supply that I have never used its 20V/5A Max. This is the one I have GW Instek PSS2005GP

I'll read the GitHub information to get more familiarized with the software.

Thanks Again!

There are a bunch of different DIY designs out there. I bought a Locky board some time ago, but never used it. There is simply zero support for it. You can have my board, if you want it.

Take a look at this: Idea for power transistor curve tracer -- good or not?
This method is much more flexible than a standalone tracer board.

Cool implementation:D Perhaps useful info: The tester from Lockyz use short pwm impulses to reduce thermal drift. While testing I found out that, by merely testing a tube twin in a row, the curve simply goes away..

Hi folks, I really want to buy a curve tracer mostly for MOSFET matching, looks like LockyZ’s is a better option over Peak Atlas simply because of the current it can test under.

I’m curious about the user experience, is it a very big learning curve or is rather easy to use?

I don’t think there are any better options for hobbyists on this budget, are there?

Thanks!

Alex, FWIW, I have been using this curve tracer for the past 6 years now and I found that they work well right off the bat with minimal setup. So yes, easy to use.
I now have two (for redundancy,) as availability from ebay is somewhat erratic and I use it a *lot* - some have brewed their own (pretty impressive ones!) but none are commercially available.
If you're using this to measure at high currents then some way of keeping the device being measured at constant temp is helpful.
HTH.

TracerV.3530i. Works very well and I like it.
One thing I want to know, is it normal that with identical settings for an IRFP240 we get different images of the curve?

Thanks, Tracer V.3530i takes a lots of time for UI optimizing.
Theoratically, nothing is changed regarding algorithm or data translation.
So, it's obviously due to the uncertainty of the tracer's measurment.
The key point is, you were tracing IRFP240 which is high-power transistor, and while you're doing this, the transistor inside the tracer and IRFP240 both get changed temperature, leading to mismatched results.

It's pretty normal.

V.3530i does not change any setting of the original, only UI and better English translation.
ElecFi Makers: LKZ Tracer ICT V3.5.30i

Last edited:
Ok, I got my Locky_Z Curve Tracer yesterday, I have so far installed and calibrated it in an older Laptop since the newer ones were complaining about Viruses....

Now I need to learn how to use it, it would be awesome if there were a 5-10 pages quick start guide with very basic instructions. I will try to create it but I need to learn first...