Input capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know the Rane document by name.
I'll give you the answer:
Rane suggest that the output cap be 220uF bipolar Panasonic and they quote the Panasonic part number. They say bypass this with 1uF film cap. They don't specify the film make nor part number.
This is placed in BOTH poles of the balanced impedance output. This requires that you measure and match the caps.

I turned that around. 1uF for the output cap bypassed with a bipolar electrolytic.
If you read recent literature you will find that best of all the electro combinations id a series pair of bipolar caps for least distortion that approaches film in performance.
A stereo balanced output would thus require 4 off 470uF bipolar. I suspect 4 off 220uF would be virtually as good. I adopted 1uF//100uF and that sounded clean.

Input Capacitors

I hope this applies for the preamp section of any integrated as well...

Out of curiosity, I wanted to put it into practice by removing the two ceramic 100pF caps from one AUX line in, and replacing them with two 470pF. There was a noticiable cut in the lower frequencies and some boost in the mids. But no changes in the highs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just wondering if something like 47pF would alter the sound towards mid to lower freq.

After a lot of tests I found that it sounds the best - by a large margin- with no input capacitor.

I'm using a ground loop isolator as input DC blocker. Really sounds awesome, and far better than any input cap I tried. I tested several cap configurations and values of brands like Nichicon and Wima.

Joined 2011
After a lot of tests I found that it sounds the best - by a large margin- with no input capacitor.

I'm using a ground loop isolator as input DC blocker. Really sounds awesome, and far better than any input cap I tried. I tested several cap configurations and values of brands like Nichicon and Wima.

Not surprising; as the saying goes, the best (coupling) capacitor is no capacitor.

I'll try later without the capacitors, too.

How do you do for a ground loop isolator as input DC blocker?

this sounds wrong,
Can you explain?

May be sounds wrong but it's probably the way I described it :)
Grabbed this image from the net that is probably self explanatory.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not quite sure if that is for audio application. There 're dedicated ones.

I just got a low cost Stinger SGN20 from ebay to try and it's unvelievable how good it is. I'm quite certain I can recommend it.

Amazon.com : Stinger SGN20 Ground Loop Isolator : Vehicle Amplifier Power And Ground Cables : Electronics

Last edited:
WOW! Unbelievable!

After a lot of tests I found that it sounds the best - by a large margin - with no input capacitor.

WOW! Just took the caps out (AUX line in) and... what can I say? WOW! :)

The soundstage/imaging improved by a lot! It's LIVE!

Unbelievable that such a simple mod can do a HUGE improvement!! :yes:

Is this a general rule? Can this be applied for ANY preamp, including those very expensive?
Why do they put these caps, by the way??
Thank you very much, sextaafondo! :cheers:
And thank you guys, too!

Is this a general rule? Can this be applied for ANY preamp, including those very expensive?Why do they put these caps, by the way??

In some circuits they really are necessary, but in many they are there mainly to assure equipment compatibility, etc. Capacitors are poor in performance, even the better ones. You tried a bypass test and found that out for yourself!

In some circuits they really are necessary, but in many they are there mainly to assure equipment compatibility, etc. Capacitors are poor in performance, even the better ones.
Thank you rayma.

I'll keep one source with the stock 100pF ceramic ones and later will take the CD and Tuner input caps out after some more listening...

Bass is full, sound is not harsh at mids. Very nice...

Is this a general rule? Can this be applied for ANY preamp, including those very expensive?
Why do they put these caps, by the way??
Thank you very much, sextaafondo! :cheers:
And thank you guys, too!

LOL yes, it made an abyssmal difference in my amp also.

One of the reasons the input caps are there is to block any DC input on DC coupled amps (as I understand this..) So the risk of DC at the input terminal of a DC coupled amp is amplifying this DC value by the amp factor and sending this value to the speakers.
My amp is in fact DC coupled with LME49830 input stage, so to stay on the safe side is that I put a GLI between the amp and the preamp. Bass is full and powerful at 20Hz and subsonic frequencies. I can see the woofers in my JBL L7 speakers moving though I can't really hear such frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.