I’d prefer a separate forum for Horn speakers

would polls asking if a horn forum be helpful as to seeing if the community could benefit from such a dedicated forum? - or do existing forums such as fullrange - subwoofer - multiway - PA pretty much take care of things? (there's always the Klipsch community although pretty much locked into Klipsch products)

Reactions: 1 user
As already displayed many times over in this thread, what would qualify as a horn forum?
Don't bother trying to answer, we all know how many different opinions there are, hence the root of the evil.
Don't make this any more laborious than it is. Be happy with what is here. It is the best of it's kind anywhere in the English speaking world as far as I can tell.
If it's not to your liking, fine but there are a lot of minds that do this sort of thinking on a daily basis. I am going to side with their decisions as they are well thought out.

Reactions: 2 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
…. what would qualify as a horn forum?

Given that we would not want to steal from legitimate use of horns in multi-way or FR loudspeakers (ie invariably part of the spectrum is direct radiator), the only thing that would qualify would be a fullt horn loaded system, i have seen pictures, but there are few if any here. Very few people have the room for a fully horn loaded system.

Its a thread, not a forum.

dave

As already displayed many times over in this thread, what would qualify as a horn forum?

Yeah, look how many times it's been debated 'when is a horn a horn ', and 'when is it a waveguide' .

Sometimes I've thought maybe multiway should be split: "active vs passive", and "simulations vs real speakers".
But then I also find i keep learning things from simulations I wouldn't see if left to focus only on my own "real speaker" primary interest.
So it's cool to be exposed to stuff i might be inclined to skip.

Now if only i could say the same thing about passives LOL :p

It could be called "horns after 2024" and include any speaker with a horn, waveguide etc. But I can still see problems since so many subwoofer and PA threads would fit in two or three subforums. Moving old threads would be to much to ask anyone.
Cheers!

I think it’s fine as is, but if I were to make a split it would be real speaker projects split from theory, testing, and simulations. If you haven’t purchased any parts or lumber yet, you can’t post in the projects section. :)

What is a horn? = theory, testing, simulation
Check out this horn I built! = projects

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well, here is my compromise to a separate horn-forum: I think it is a good idea/practice to clearly indicate in the thread-name, what the thread is all about!

For instance the heading for my thread includes the word "MEH", as I hope that it will make it easier to find for people interested in MEH´s.

Dilution is the root of all evil.
It takes a village to raise a speaker so lets all work together in one place to make that happen. No need to break up a perfectly good family.

That actually makes sense for me.

Steffen