I’d prefer a separate forum for Horn speakers

Over the years I’ve found myself trying to filter the Multiway thread into horn speakers and non horn speakers. I don’t know the history of these forums but multiway vs full range has never seemed like the best way to categorize projects of interest for me. I tend to think more in terms of horns, towers and OB. Anybody else feel there’s a better option than what we have now?

Reactions: 1 users
In principle, I agree. It would very nice. In practice it might be very difficult for the Admin's to go back and segregate millions of old threads into horn and non-horn. But the admin's would have to tell us how difficult that would be.

What is the dividing line between the two? Obviously a full range Synergy MEH is a horn speaker. A Klipshorn is a horn speaker... I would assume that a JBL M2 is a horn speaker, even though the woofer is a direct radiator. What a about a 3-way tower with a pair of 10" woofers, a 6" mid, and a horn loaded tweeter? is that a horn?

j.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would assume that a JBL M2 is a horn speaker, even though the woofer is a direct radiator

Claimed response. 20-20. XO at 800 Hz. 20-800 Hz is a little over 5 ocatves. So less than half the spectrum is covered by a horn. And given horns typically max out on bandwidth at about 4 octaves, JBL is pushing the limits of what a horn can do,

dave

GM

Joined 2003
I use to, but over time have become ambivalent since a BLH, whether some form of TL or compression horn flare*, are in the scheme of things normally just big vent reflexes [BVR] since they're too small/short to load all the way down to its design cutoff [Fc]; so if splitting them out it seems reasonable [to me anyway] to divide them into compression horns and lump together all the many various [and of late, seemingly growing exponentially] TL/horn band-pass alignments now available to us and if really 'picky', break these down into specific sub-categories like is done on the High Order Quarterwave Society FB site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bassaz/?multi_permalinks=5238758969472521
edit: *FYI/FWIW, my definition of compression loaded any type pipe/horn alignment: [sealed back driver or reactance annulled BLH = infinite baffle sealed]

Last edited:
it could get "strict" with nothing but FLH covering down to midbass and lower.
No reflex, Paraflex, TH, BP, Karlson, Cornwall, Heresy, Econowave

no BLH as those mostly enjoy FR application (and scoop limited mostly PA work )

with less restrictions, BLH may be included???

The bigger question is why are commercial products from Klipsch, JBL and other manufactures even being discussed here? I thought that this was supposed to be a DIY forum.
Lol ...trying to assert a clear distinction between what's DIY and what's not DIY, caused enough trouble
Besides, we need to discuss commercial stuff. Don't forget the old adage "Use your eyes, plagiarize" :)

Oh, and to all: hey, before we spin off a "Horn forum".....
will someone tell me exactly when a horn is a horn, and when it's not cause it's a waveguide ?
Just playing around guys ;)

If we had to come up with a non-ambiguous dividing line, it could be the use of a compression driver. If the system uses a compression driver, it is a horn speaker. Otherwise, not. It is not a great definition, but at least there is no ambiguity.

Actually, I would hate to burden our already busy admin's and moderators with this... too much pain, too little gain... j.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The bigger question is why are commercial products from Klipsch, JBL and other manufactures even being discussed here? I thought that this was supposed to be a DIY forum.
Few of us diy every part of our systems. Those who don’t diy loudspeakers, will buy some.

Certainly many of those mentioned can benefit from some diy/mods. The Klipsch in particualr if you are using high Rout amplifiers.

Do note that this kind of request has been discussed a lot in the backroom and is VERY unlikely to happen. As suggested earlier there is a feature coming that will allow anyone to create their own personal virtual forums. You can create your own horn forum, to your own definition of what a horn system is.

dave

To me the natural dividing line would be whether the user designs/builds the horn himself - as opposed to buying a piece of plastic, fiberglass, or metal and bolting on a compression driver. That would include all horn woofage and custom made mid/hi horns because the design focuses on the horn itself.