• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just to check: my aim is to use the FIFO II, Isolator and I2S to PCM boards for a TDA1541a dac. In that case, according to the manual I do not need the dual Clock II. Correct?

Now that the GB-VI offers the opportunity: I wonder under what conditions one would need a dual Clock II? What is its function?

Just to check: my aim is to use the FIFO II, Isolator and I2S to PCM boards for a TDA1541a dac. In that case, according to the manual I do not need the dual Clock II. Correct?

Now that the GB-VI offers the opportunity: I wonder under what conditions one would need a dual Clock II? What is its function?

Hi

FIFO II needs clock. I either condition, it need a clock board. You can use any of those: Dual XO II or Dual XO I or Si570 or single XO clock board.

Clock board is the heart of digital audio system.

Regards,
Ian

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Supra, thanks for your reply:
'If your using 1541 with PCM-I2S board, get the dual clock, its worth every cent.'

Could you please elaborate on why the dual clock is of added value?
I still have no explanation on the difference in function/quality between a single XO clock board versus a Dual XO I / II or Si570.

Supra, thanks for your reply:
'If your using 1541 with PCM-I2S board, get the dual clock, its worth every cent.'

Could you please elaborate on why the dual clock is of added value?
I still have no explanation on the difference in function/quality between a single XO clock board versus a Dual XO I / II or Si570.

Hi av-trouvaille,

Single XO clock board: Can only play one XO at one time. Can not change frequency when music Fs changes. For example, you are using 11.2896MHz XO playing 44.1KHz, but if you change music to 176.4KHz music, single XO clock board doesn't follow.

Dual XO II/I: Can use a pair of standard XOs from 11.2896 to 98.3040MHz. Can support music Fs from 44.1KHz to 384KHz with automatically changing frequency and *Fs according to the Fs of your music.

Si570 clock board: already has a real time programmable low jitter XO Si570 on board, with all functions of a Dual XO clock board, but can no change XO. Less flexibility.

Just hope my answers help:)

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Some questions:

1. I have bought the "FIFO isolator board V1.5" from you earlier. I see the revision is up to 2.5. Is the V1.5 usable or do I have to buy the V2.5? ( The "FIFO isolator board V1.5" was bought with the latest group buy with the "I2S to PCM boards")

2. The J4 connector on the FIFO-board is completely undocumented. (In 1 above is it those signals that have changed from V1.5 to V2.5? I guess the signals are: power, clock select, master clock, more?)

3. There was a lot of talk about a 'Multichannel' release. This one still seems to be a rework of FIFO I i.e just a stereo set-up. Is there still a 'Multichannel' release planned? That was the one I had hoped for :eek: ... though this is still great work :)

Yes, got the message, on my way putting together an order :)

(( Per

Hi Per,

Sorry for my late reply.

1. FIFO isolator board V1.5 works for FIFO II/I

2. J4 is a bus between FIFO and clock board. It has many signals including MCLK, power and a SPI interface.

3. Multi-Channel I2S/DSD FIFO is still under R&D, hopefully I can finish it by Q4 of this year.

I already reply your email.

Regards,
Ian

Ian's done most of the thinking for us. He packs most of the cables you'll want into each of the kits and you normally end up with spares. Only thing I'd suggest is looking at layout between DAC and i2s/pcm board and getting an idea of the length of any u.fl cables you might want there. These can be purchased separately but Ian buys in bulk so they're cheaper to buy from him when I last compared things. Might be worth buying a few different ones of these for flexibility.

Chris

Thank Chris,

All basic cables are already included in each KIT. All others are for upgrade or backup/replacement. Chris gave us very good answers.

My best regards,
Ian