I have left the DIY LCD and I think you should too

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you know i didnt want to post in this topic but i dont think its fair for mike to tell ppl to leave diy and buy a comercial projector because he didnt put in enough effort and was not satisfyed with his results (for god sakes hes satisfyed with 800x600 you have to be kidding me) you must rember to make your own decisions and come to your own conclusions i have seen many comercial lcd projectors in action from $800-$2000 and none of them have come close to the results i have seen with the diy lcd projector i have created for around $450 and $10 for bulbs . and believe me im not done !!!

Well my main point is that IMHO DLP and CRT is vastly better then LCD anything! DIY or not. Now since there is not DIY DLP or CRT out there, and with DLP and CRT projectors on the used market under $600 I am just reminding people with limit budgets that there are other options. Yes I am prefecty happy with 800x600 on my projector there is no screen door effect and since I have it for DVD 800x600 more then enought.

Don't worrie--plently of DIY still in me!
1) DIY screen: I am thinking Portland Plastic
2) HTPC- for DVD playback and descale--I want to see if I can do it for under $300
3)Homemade case for my HTPC out of an old satellite reciever
4)Maybe see if I can mod my projector to sync to 1080i
5)Video extraction of my Dishplayer PVR
6)Paying for all of these projects;)

Well yes burn in is an issue--But only if you use it for applications that use static images. (Ie windows, or a network logo). However, for DVD or HDTV burn-in should not be an issue at all (and both are 16x9 so the top/bottem are not really an issue). All things consiter, If I was not a college student in a dorm, I would go for a CRT in a heart beat!

Not trying to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, but if it's 16:9, then you can experience burn in on the sides when watching 3:4 stuff (i.e. 95% of everything) with black bars on the sides. The alternative is to have bright grey bars instead of black (yuck!), or a stretched out image, or zoom in and crop the top and bottom.

qui,

1) decide what lcd screen you will use first (15", 7", mini car unit) and get it

2) get the optics from alan at diylabs.com, both the fresnel and the optics to match the size screen.

3) get the MH 400 watt light assembly from a local light store or the internet.

4) test everything.

5) build appropiate container.

6) optimize.

Those who went before have found many of the of the dead ends.

I am assembling my cabinet this weekend (and taking pictures as I go). It is a modification on Alan's Mark I project.

Proto5,

What is your setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.