I have left the DIY LCD and I think you should too

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm glad he spoke up.

I doubt it will be of interest to the guys that want a $200 DIY that can be accomplished by buying an OHP and projection panel on Ebay. They get OK results for cheap.

It will perhaps stop some of the guys that are shooting for the super duper picture (high rez, high contrast) that would be willing to spend $500 on a used DLP and save themselves the trouble. But their maintenence costs will be higher, their understanding lower, and their ability to upgrade very limited. These are the guys that get discouraged, end up abandoning their projects, and posting discontent. Lets get these guys to wait for a used DLP before they fail.

Ken

I've been following this for over a year, and I'm amazed at how fast the quality, and know how has grown, expecially in the last 6 or so months, I remember like it was yesterday when people were using the 5" lcds and delta lens and loved it, now we're tearing apart 15" lcd monitors and loving it more, I just put my ohp-spectra togather about 3 months ago, looking at getting the NEC 1555, I love the DIY scene, (in fact just ordered some servos and pic controlers to make my own cd duplication "transport arm"), now it sounds like we're about to get even better quality in our projectors with the help of people like, jcbklyny (let hurry-up with those comparison pitures).
So will I follow into the "buy it off the shelf", "be like the others" hum-drum world... I don't think so. Long live the free thinkers!

I have the greatest respect for the 'cuting edge' DIYers out there, you are doing great things for little money--and in a few years your work might make DIY a viable option for many people. However, I went into this looking for the end result being a Big, Bright, clear picture--and did'nt care much as the means, just that it fit in a limited budget. I thought long and hard about ripping apart a LCD monitor, but then realised that the risk was far to high for me to accept, and used projectors started to look very good.

I intend not to preach to those who are experts at this, Instead I want to remind those that are looking at this that there are alternatives to this, and depending on your risk tolerence you might want to look into them as well.

Also, those who are speaking of the joy of doing it yourself--So what if you built the projector yourself??? DIY home theater has a lot of conpoents and the projector is just one of them. Speakers, Amps, Screens, all play a part in the system; All can also be DIY.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
"Also, those who are speaking of the joy of doing it yourself--So what if you built the projector yourself??? DIY home theater has a lot of conpoents and the projector is just one of them. Speakers, Amps, Screens, all play a part in the system; All can also be DIY."

When it's all said and done...without my PJ my home theatre would be garbage with only my Samsung 27 inch TV ;)

zardoz

I don’t think there is one person here who did not have fun building their first projector (even those of us who have fried panels). The first time I got into diy, I was amazed at the fact that one could build such a machine! Hell, before this i never even knew how an lcd projector worked. When I built my first Delta IV and 5” LCD I was impressed! And I gained more knowledge by reading these forums. Like I was saying before though, the reason every one of us here builds projector is for fun! We want to watch movies or computer on the big screen. Why? ITS FUN! Regardless of your financial situation, weather its vga, or xga and higher, building a projector is still fun! But as anything fun goes, it can get old fast...

the only thing that really pissed me off about the DIY home theater I'm building is that I had to give up on a DIY screen that I poured $150 into in exchange for a much simpler solution that was just as good. Buy hey, I learned a lot and if I had to do it again, I would be much more efficient.

The hardest part of my DIY home theater has been trying to keep a positive attitude in the face of negative comments. When I first ripped about my 1545v and stuck it on the OHP, I got an image and I was ecstatic! But my dad basically said right then and there that the image was ****... that made me feel really bad not only because of the money I put into it but the time also. Now that I have a full enclosure for my OHP and have masked out the excess light, it looks 100x better than the first "hello world" run... of course my dad still thinks the image looks blurry but screw him... I think he's just jealous because he spent $1500 on his 36" tv a few years ago and he doesn't want to be out-classed. i never have gotten a positive comment from him even though i've been spending tons and tons of time putting everything together.... and btw i know the image isn't **** because 1) i think it looks good and 2) everyone i've shown it to is amazed. when i first started telling people that i was building a video projector, they expected something gimmicky but when they saw the results in person for the first time, their jaws dropped... seriously.

mostly backhaul news and syndication feeds. Also some oddball programing but mostly syndicated programs being fed to stations a few days before they air. Alot of it is going digital now, Telstar 5 and 6 where really the hot satellites--always something on there (or alreast then). goto Lyngsat.com they have a great list. (though most of the backhaul feeds are not listed) Also I had a KU-band dish that would get alot of news live shot feeds--Once I got on tape a NBC nightly news ancher (not tom but one of those that fills in) cracking a "Bush picks Dick" joke during a commersial break.

Yeap I bet! I really do miss it. I am away at college right now--They don't even allow the little dishes here. But my dorm next year is southern facing so with alittle luck I will be able to get Dish Network though the window! Anyways back to the big dish--It was nice, they are refured to as BUDs-Big Ugly Dishs. They are a major diy project if anyone is looking for a project, they are virually free for the asking right now. Also they are first generation signals so you will get picture quaility better then cable or small dish satellite.

130" diagonal..WOW!

Glad I didn't quit!

Attachments

• dsc00616c.jpg
    dsc00616c.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 253
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.