I have found a special amplifier, am trying to contact the designer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
"The idea is the magic to recreate the reality...the real sound you know...if the music recorded and the reproduction system can recreate the real thing...even not being the real thing...then it is very special."

Exactly :) It is when you close your eyes and the performance, the musicians are there, in your room performing for you. The pianist breathing, the dampers on the strings, the bow on the violin. You are in another world.

That has to be the ultimate goal, and the sound of amplifiers has more effect on that than most folks realise.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Carlos some months back I purchased this http://www.stereotimes.com/amp021003.shtml second hand, you should have a listen at one of these, I think your search would come to an end regarding amps that is, there is still speakers and source offcourse. This one handles any type of music you may wish with the same quality, realism that is if your speakers and source are up to it.

Ive still not found a diy design here that even comes close to its abillity at an affordable price.

homemodder said:

Ive still not found a diy design here that even comes close to its abillity at an affordable price.

Don't think Carlos will like it: it's class A, which means "MUFLED".

What music do you listen to anyway? It may be good for "Big orchestras without large bandwidth" but i doubt it will do so well with "Koto music from Japan"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D and yes, these green smilies are annoying. Their teeth are just too perfect.

Yeeeeesss!...yeah!...good!...i have found the man's adress

Now i will mail to the man.

hehehe.... if you have good friends, you will never be on troubles, or at least will have other folks to share the troubles with you.

Direct from Nashville, my beloved spy, a member of Dx Corporation, Nashville Division, have made the job...he accepted the task and acomplished perfectly and fast.

Let's see if i can arrange some schematic, some informs, picture and so on.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Almost the same.. differences are, and are very small

destroyer X said:

Also we use to pay a lot of money to obtain this small differential in quality..the small advantage.... sometimes parts selection, sometimes circuit complexity or simplicity...sometime the price you pay is too much big to the small advantage you may have.

This unit seems to be class AB...as idle it is cold, may have a special circuitry to modulated the bias increasing it following the signal (turns real hot..but this is acceptable as managing audio power sent to speaker...clever heat!).. this is something i am dreaming about since many years ago.... input level tracked dinamic biasing system...and from AB to class A, the opposite we use to find...normally they start class A and then switches to class AB.
regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos

Maby it's a variation of the current dumping amp topology.

Bye

Gaetan

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes Carlos,

Steve D has been found! I will gladly accept your reward!!! What did you say the amount was? :clown:

Actually - I "found" Steve" hiding in plain sight - hiding out "in the open". He posted here a couple of months ago about having a full workshop available at his place for people in the Nashville area to use and I drove over to his place (about 50 miles - 80 Km) and we spent some time together. In fact he demoed his amplifier for me! I think that this one is of a newer design than the Wisdom Audio unit. One thing is for sure - it is one very sweet unit!!!! I have informed Steve of this thread so I expect that he will be chiming in soon.

Yes - this is the same Steve Dunlap that did the work for Tom B's speakers back in '97.

ps - I have sent you a private message to the south as you asked.

Thank you about the Telephatic message Thomas

Was received.... because you know how to transmit.

Well..... what can i say...i am relaxed... i know that the seed was planted and for sure will produce a nice plant into the future.

The worse thing can happens is his dennie...and this for me is just the beginning of a new movement i will make into his direction, till we convince him to give us some cooperation without damage his Copyrigth.....if possible, of course.

Now i have the adress and we have you to help us Thomas

thank you very much.

regards,

Carlos

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Thank you about the Telephatic message Thomas

destroyer X said:

Was received.... because you know how to transmit.

Carlos

This is good - I took off my tin cap so as to send you clear
transmissions. :D

ps In your thread Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier post # 5622 - Steve D. made some comments and suggestions. So - you have already met Steve! :cool:

Okay Carlos I'm here now. And those were my amps in the review. I'll be happy to answer specific questions that you or others here may have, but be patient. I don't sit in front of my computer all day but I usually do check in once a day.

Let me correct one misunderstanding that was in the review. The amplifier is class A at idle not AB. The amplifier does operate at what I consider class A operation since no transistor in the amplifier ever switches off under normal operation. There are many people who insist that if the amplifier is not hot it is not class A. I disagree.

As the amplifier does not use global negative feedback the output stage is essentially its own unit, freestanding. What this means is it is not necessary to use the voltage gain stage that I'm using to drive the amplifier. The input impedance to the output stage is very high and easily driven by any reasonably well-designed voltage gain stage, as long as it has sufficient voltage swing for the desired output power. Of course I do like my own voltage gain stage which is why I use it. Other than being well executed there is nothing really special about it.

Let the questions began.:wchair:

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi analog Im an ex SA, joburger.

I dont listen much classical music, I prefer rock some blues and sometimes some metal. The closet I come to classical is pavarotti, I love the big guy.

I doudbt it is full class A, certainly has some watts in class A though. I also have Aw180s which are already very good, also purchased second hand. Coupled to BW 804s, they play anything you throw at them, realism is the word here, not tube like, not solidstate like. One crazy day I ll take the lid off the nemos and see what exactly is inside. All for the price of a medium new car.

Muffled, these?????? HaHaHaHaHa................ :whazzat: :cannotbe:

Hi Carlos

I forget to mention there are no fet's in the amp. I will work up a schematic with no frills so it should be easier to understand. Yes, I think I can explaine how it works. From reading more of the posts in other threads it seems to resemble what is being called a "Diamond buffer" with an improved (at least I like to think so) method of setting the idle current. This allows use as a power stage to drive speakers. I will explane more when I provide the schematic.

Steve

Your last post came in while I was typing this. Thread on hold for now.

Single ended ClassA:
The peak output current <= output stage bias current.

Push Pull ClassA:
The peak output current <= 2 * [output stage bias current]

Go and read Leach Lo Tim for a corrupted version of drivers that stay in ClassA, i.e. that never switch off even though one half has absolutely no control over the signal when in their dormant state.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.