I hate my fonkens :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
indeed one1speed,
with 2 watts you have enough if the speaker is efficient enough.
for me, in close range listening, i never make it over 1 watt with my 93db fostex fe167; don't like to listen loud anyway.

i'm gonna try with a resistor and and an inductor to get the driver in line. coating the driver might tame it, but some people say it is just kind of smoothing down everything, so also the detial level. they might be right, me fostes fe167 lost a bit of detail by coating it (although i used maybe to much: so maybe my mistake). so i might coat my fe127, but first i will try a coil cause that is reversable
greetz

It's not the amp. I ran the bottlehead SEX amp on my 127 Fonkens and it was plenty. The bass will not be there because its a 4.5 driver but it was not bad. The mids and highs were there and beautiful. So it sound so to me something is not right with your speakers. It could be the enclosure or the drivers themselves. Also don't know if you used any insulation on the inside. Make sure you don't over do it because it does make them lifeless if you do. Also let them play for a while. Let them brake in and then give them a listen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Drivers in question are matched FE127eN. Well QCed.

Treatment smoothes the response, and increases downward dynamic range.

In a FonkenPrime response should be good from 65-75 Hz up to 14-15k. No competition for 10 or 12" woofers, but likely more finese (for sure vrs the A25)

dave

Attachments

• JPB-FE127eN-imp.gif
    JPB-FE127eN-imp.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 525
Ra7 has heard my pair of FE127s and they are without BSC and in a box with less bass than a Fonken. My FE127s are in GM's MLTL. They are great sounding drivers, particularly when broken in.
I think that there is a level of taste involved in enjoying a full range driver. I know it took me about a month of drinking scotch to really appreciate it, the same is true for full ranges. People learn to get over the burn of scotch and learn to appreciate the subtlties, the same is true with full range. There may be the initial burn that you have to get over, but the more you listen, the more you can enjoy the sublties.
I have far too many drivers in my possession... and the FE127s are my favorite, I hate that they can't do bass like my audio nirvanas, my Hemps, my FE207s, or my CSS FR125s, but they do what they do so well. I don't mean to put them on a pedestal or raise your expectations like a friend telling you how great a new movie is, but keep listening.

Josh

Although I have absolutely experience with Fonkens, may I ask what kind of music you listen to most of the time? I have built my pair of bipole NS3 and my dad keeps on complaining a lack of bass (he listened to some Rod Stewarts and some other pop) while I was happy with the bass when I listen to Diana Krall and so...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.