I hate my fonkens :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something isn't quite right. Do try the cat 5 wire Dave recommended, just for comparison sake, if nothing else.

Reading 'terribly flat, no soundstage' tells me something is up. Even if they aren't for you, they should have an incredible image and be anything but flat. You might try drawing up your room set up as well and sharing it. Often there are places within a room where you won't hear much bass, as it cancels out. I've had some real issues with this from time to time. Even read it about the set-up of a $150k pair of speakers recently, where moving them just a couple cms made all the difference in the world. Crazy, this audio game.

your fonken adventure

murphy - not to be too defensive about your postings, but as I've built many dozens of pairs of this enclosure design over the past decade, during which they've been generally well liked by a lot of experienced listeners, a few points:

1) As you recall we had numerous rapid fire PMs (13 in 5 days) during this construction project, including several in which you indicated some confusion as to exact dimensions of panels and assembly techniques, some of which are critical to this not simplest of builds

Not the least of these were your concern about a gap in one of the back panels, as well as questions as to cutting holes in the brace, and details of damping materials.

FWIW, I believe I've made it quite clear in numerous posts in the past 5yrs or so that this particular enclosure design (suitable for a range of drivers with appropriate modifications) is not a simple job to be rushed - certainly not something I'd recommend as a first time build, or for someone without access to a well equipped shop.

In other words, it appears uncertain that this pair meets structural integrity or falls within acceptable tolerance of design parameters.

2) While I've not personally heard a Bottlehead SEX amp, the power levels are close to that of several with which I'm quite familiar on a wide range of speakers. I believe it was also discussed that these flea-watt levels could be borderline for speakers of the sensitivity of the FE127E, for larger / highly damped rooms, higher SPLs, etc.

What other speakers have you driven with this amp that are more to your liking ?

There are numerous other DIY speaker designs that are much simpler builds, including those using drivers of higher sensitivity that might well be a better fit.
( e.g. FH3 using Fostex FE126E) However, even the simplest of design requires following plans and most importantly, accurate cutting and assembly /joinery techniques.

3) Expectations - if this your first toe-dip in the single/driver / FR wading pool, perhaps you need to adjust them.

to be honest, I did expect bass. People impressions seemed to be positive toward a small room and plenty of bass, I dont even have close to plenty of bass, my realistic minimus have more bass then the fonkens

a lot of post traffic during my composition of above essay

have you checked the polarity as suggested? it's easy enough to make a mistake as the driver terminals are not highly visibly marked, but it never occurred to me that this wasn't already verified

safe enough to apply a 1.5V battery - each driver should move in the same direction if the internal wiring is correct.

but even easier would be to simply reverse connections on one speaker only

Last edited:
well if I reverse the polarity, I dont see the woofer mving anymore...

that doesn't sound right - if testing with a battery, the cone should move in one direction, then stop (out for positive polarity / in for reversed)

check this procedure on the dynacos - because it's DC you need to watch for the cone to move exactly when the voltage is applied, and you should hear a slight tick or bump

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
that doesn't sound right - if testing with a battery, the cone should move in one direction, then stop (out for positive polarity / in for reversed)

check this procedure on the dynacos - because it's DC you need to watch for the cone to move exactly when the voltage is applied, and you should hear a slight tick or bump
it did just that...

I'm not sure to understand...I tested it only with my wires connecting to the back of the speakers

Guys, quit fooling with batteries and all that.. If it's a polarity problem, switching the wires on one side, and then playing some familiar music will tell you if the situation is improved by the switch, or not. The sound will be better or worse, depending on whether the wiring was correct to begin with or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.