I got my new lamp. It is for commercial projection use. people use it to replace the

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Dumbfounded,

Indeed, this is my PJ. And yes I know, it is old, and newer ones give better pics. But this is the one my son used to connect to his Xbox, and I really do not intend to buy a new lamp for 500$ or whatsoever. I took the thing apat, and found something like this (attachment). And I think this can be replaced at a lower cost than the companies are charging us. At least I will do everything to find out how. Your help is greatly appreciated, since this is the only site (so far) that adresses this

Attachments

• met_hal_1.jpg
    met_hal_1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 441
Dear Ywh,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot e-mail you because my account is still under moderation, since I am a new member :-(. Your offer sounds attractive, and I am waiting to try your solution. Maybe you could contact me instead;-)?My e-mail adress should be within my personal page. If not. please let me know, and I can supply you with an alternative e-mail adress.
Thanks in advance! And for all your other posts.

It's a gamble

Hello,

I just wanted to urge caution on anyone that may be considering buying a replacement bulb like these. Nothing against ywh or his business partner; they were fine to work with, but I feel it's the right thing to do to pass on my experience.

I purchased a 200w JYD/AC bulb to replace the bulb in my Sanyo PLV-70 projector. I received the bulb and carefully cemented it in place and cleaned the bulb with alcohol to make sure there was no dirt or oil on the glass. It exploded after about 2 minutes in my projector. Since there was no protective cover glass on the reflector, I had to clean broken glass from my projector. ywh then replaced the bulb with another one, and this time I paid him to install it in a spare reflector. That one exploded after about 30 seconds (so it wasn't anything I did wrong). At least this time I took the precaution of having him install the protective cover glass on the reflector. Needless to say, I'm giving up on trying these replacement bulbs. He did give me a refund on the 2 bulbs I bought, but I'm still out $65 for the shipping costs and a reflector I can't use. I'm usually not a gambling man, but I figured an arc tube is an arc tube. I was wrong.

BTW, I originally went this route because my last bulb was rebuilt by Joppru Group and it only lasted about a year (~140 hours). I'm now going with a factory replacement bulb.

Hello jck,
Sorry to hear that your path has been a bit rough but might I ask did you buy this projector new or do you know if it has ever been modified or tampered with?
There may be other factors other than the bulb in play here and any time a lamp is replaced like this there should be a small check list that one should go over other than just re-installing the lamp in the reflector.
One main one would be supply voltage going to the lamp.
You mention your last two lamps haven't made it out of the starting gate.
It is a problem checking voltage with a dead bulb I know but have you ever checked when you got your first re-built one from Joppru Group?

Surges, consistent correct supply voltage, fans-thermo switches and other factors can play a large roll in lamp life also.
You may want to hold off on the expense of a new lamp unless they have a no questions asked total refund policy.

Dumbfounded said:
Hello jck,
Sorry to hear that your path has been a bit rough but might I ask did you buy this projector new or do you know if it has ever been modified or tampered with?

Yes, I bought it new. The only thing I've ever done is replace the lamps. The OEM lamp that came with it only lasted about 500 hours, then the Joppru lamp lasted about 140 hours. A lot of that 500 hours on the OEM lamp was pretty dim. I think these lamps only perform at 100% for about 10 minutes, then it's downhill from there. :( I admit that I don't have the 3' clearance behind the projector that the manufacturer recommends (I have about 1.5'), so heat might be a factor in the OEM and the Joppru lamp not lasting as long as they should have. I did clean the filters regularly, but there were a few times where the projector shut down due to excess heat and I had to clean them. I just installed an external fan that will help dispurse the heat around the projector so we'll see how that goes. I guess it is possible that the supply voltage is a problem since I wasn't able to measure it. If the factory replacement explodes, I will definately post it here. I got the 'factory' replacement from bulb_wholesale on ebay for $350. That is $100 more than the Joppru rebuild and it comes with a new reflector. I'm not happy about the cost and risk associated with replacing lamps on these projectors. It's unbelievable to me that all this is such a crap-shoot. If they (the manufacturers, Phillips included) can't make something that lasts, they shouldn't be making them at all!

Hi,

Ywh has just confirmed the sending of my (experimental) 260 W Metal Halide bulb. I am looking forward to test this thing. And yes, I am aware of the risks involved in handling these bastards, for nearly20 years, I have been dealing with HBO50, HBO100, XBO100 and XBO400 lamps. Especially the XBO's are very dangerous, since they are at high pressure without being lighted.
Nevertheless, I will keep you informed.

Regards,
Harrie:D

Hello Ywh,

I really am not shure that my lamp is 40 volts, other than the text on the lamphousing. I include a picture of it, maybe you can read the Japanese (chinese?) text on top.

Thanks anayway, I will just try the lamp you are sending me, and I will keep in touch about the results. It is pretty exciting stuff, these lamps..

Harrie:hot:

Attachments

• lamphousing1.jpg
    lamphousing1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 337
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.