I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. If you listen to music that actually has dynamic range, the latter will spend a lot of time clipping, even at moderate listening levels. Put some numbers to it and see.

The choice of my system is based on the sound I like to hear and not on magazine recommendations etc as AJ or others may think..I understand that some one else may not like it,for any reason.I do not hear any real problems when I play back my own recordings either.So for now I'm very happy with it in my room,even without any treatment,except the basic curtains,carpet etc.......just a typical room.
I think dynamic range,as other things,is not perceived by all in the same way or level.I have heard systems that may have more dynamic range than mine,yet I could not live with them.Some friends may find my system one they can't live with.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks AJ, interesting read. I missed that demo at RMAF.

I have here some old VU meters that have 2 needles. One for average, and another for peak. Never seen anything like them before. I use them for the same purpose that Bob Cordell does.

From his description, the RLJ track probably has an average to peak ratio of 21dB. Typical for classical and some big band recordings, not typical for pop and rock. Some older CDs did have this kind of dynamic range, alas not much anymore. More typical is 18dB or even 16dB. The recent compressed junk is 12-10dB.

I do think he is underestimating the peaks, tho. Bob says "Note that if one applies a continuous sinewave input to the box, both meters will read identically." I think they should not. The last time I looked, the peak of a sinewave was 3dB above its RMS average. So if his peak meter can catch a 10KHz peak (as he says) shouldn't the peak meter show +3dB on a sinewave? That's twice the power.

After all, the amp really does have to supply that power at the crest of the wave.

Jakob,

If case # 2 would happen, it would NOT be taken serious by the 'sceptics', don't worry. I would be the first to say that.

Case # 1 yes, those are the arguments. And as I said earlier, those arguments have deliberately been ignored.
There have been many cases where bias, psychological factors, what have you, have been discussed in threads related to the uncontrolled/controlled test discussion. When that happened, the uncontrolled/ anecdotal test proponents were silent and absent. When the discussion on bias etc petered out, pop! there were the uncontrolled/anecdotal proponents continuing as if nothing had been discussed at all. The horse and the water and all that.

jd

But it's the skeptics who are guilty in case number two, on this forum anyway.

I'm still interested in seeing the results of an acceptable DBT that I don't have to pay a fee to read.

John

Not odd at all. My 'serious' builds always stall when I learn something new and start restructuring. A direct-coupled 2A3 SE and 3-stage 813 SE among them. This 6LU8 P-P based on Rowe iron was something I was blowing off quick just to get something done, like the Gainclone I built before it.

So if I understand the gist properly, my conscious expectation of potentially audible differences between cables discounts the possibility of expectation bias?

Hi, still odd, but anyway, the quickie sounded better than you thought, so you expected it to sound good but not that good. Your explaination doesn't quite gel with your, "It's directly counter to my every expectation and preference."

Your case is not I expected A but got B. It is a case of I expected a small A but got a Big A.

I am not saying your "...the terrific sound quality is kicking my backside." is the result of expectation bias, good/bad engineering, or personal preference, how could I know. I just don't think you can use this example to dismiss expectation bias.

Your question indicates you didn't get my gist.

I do think he is underestimating the peaks, tho. Bob says "Note that if one applies a continuous sinewave input to the box, both meters will read identically." I think they should not. The last time I looked, the peak of a sinewave was 3dB above its RMS average. So if his peak meter can catch a 10KHz peak (as he says) shouldn't the peak meter show +3dB on a sinewave? That's twice the power.

After all, the amp really does have to supply that power at the crest of the wave.

I would also like to see the peaks but remember amplifiers are 'normally' rated in average power so it make sense to do it that way.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]. Bob says "Note that if one applies a continuous sinewave input to the box, both meters will read identically." I think they should not. The last time I looked, the peak of a sinewave was 3dB above its RMS average. So if his peak meter can catch a 10KHz peak (as he says) shouldn't the peak meter show +3dB on a sinewave? That's twice the power.[snip].

Often the difference between the two meters (peak/average) is only in the time constant in their detectors. The large tc shows average, the fast one shows (and may even hold) peaks. But if their scales are calibrated the same (likely RMS), they will indicate the same value with a sinewave input, although the average meter will be slower to get to that indication than the fast peak reading meter.

jd

Seems to me many of those skeptical of these claims of cable difference have, for the most part, been arguing that what has been presented as some sort of "data" supporting their position does not represent any sort of test, other than what they can hear for themselves and anyone who cares to believe their opinions.

Many of the "believers", I believe, also go beyond this point and claim their opinions to be factual. Some of the experts go so far as to assign physical processes to these beliefs as causation, and condemn and patronize those who object to such characterizations. I don't believe this is valid.

That's all.

Auplater, i know it is sometimes hard to follow these threads, but i commented Shanefields reasoning in an article AJinfla linked to.
I was asked why and tried to explain what the problem was.

The rules simply don´t discern between "believers" and "nonbelievers" , it is just the same set of rules for everyone.

So, once and for all times (i hope, but of course know better :) ), the burden of proof is on the claimant. No matter if you think it is a "believer claim" or a "nonbeliever claim" .

Wishes

<snip>
I think what jakob is saying is when you set out to achieve a null, a result asserted continuously by many here, the experimental protocol must be pristine. To use a trivial example of one that isn't, SY with a police whistle. Pants on or off.

Something similar, but more that the protocol has to be pristine in every case.
This demand simply doesn´t depend on the fact that a possible result may suit the experimenters belief or may confirm current state of science, because otherwise you´ll just run in circle and practice bad science.

Wishes

@ SY,

yeah, i used absolute polarity because it enlightens the fact that positive test results doesn´t change anything. :)

BTW, afair we still don´t know if it is more an effect of the ear or more an asymmetrical effect of the loudspeaker.

You´ve stated, that there must exist "many many" test with negative results; i´ve explained in the "?burn in cable thread?" why, simply due to statistical reasons, the number of tests can´t (most probable) be high.

You´ve asserted, that all these test can´t suffer from the same faults. Why do you think so? You´ve read Leventhal´s articles, therefore you know, that a small number of trials is only justified if the participants detection ability is high (means p>=0.9, pretty basic stuff btw).

So, how many tests (using a small numbers of trials) could you cite, that show that the detection ability of their participants was that high?

I really don´t want to be offensive, but just reflect to your own refusal to change your test protocol. There is strong evidence that your test protocol suffers from the "detection of sameness problem", your reaction...pah.

You know, that the small number of trials is only justified if the detection ability of the participant is high; your comment to the incorporation of positive controls to show exactly that....red herring.

You were relying on a wrong probability table; even after pointed to the errors several times, did you try to do some calculations to see what was going wrong?

Remember the "hypergeomtrical distribution desaster" in the "burn in cable" thread; were you able to correct your reasoning and accept a new proposed test method after pointed to the errors?

Why do you think, that other experimenters inclination to put their own beliefs (about testing) to test is stronger than yours? That would be the only chance to avoid the simple repetition of the same errors in nearly every test.

Wishes

Claims

Auplater, i know it is sometimes hard to follow these threads, but i commented Shanefields reasoning in an article AJinfla linked to.
I was asked why and tried to explain what the problem was.

The rules simply don´t discern between "believers" and "nonbelievers" , it is just the same set of rules for everyone.

So, once and for all times (i hope, but of course know better :) ), the burden of proof is on the claimant. No matter if you think it is a "believer claim" or a "nonbeliever claim" .

Wishes

I guess the semantics of claims vs. non-claims is the issue, but it's pointless to argue at this juncture. The vast majority of folks who use interconnects in the world have, by default, accepted the null (no difference), so testing whether or not this situation represents the "truth" as opposed to testing whether the few claiming otherwise seems fruitless, unless of course those claiming differences (believers in your vernacular) have monetary gain agendas. That's what I believe is the driving force for the claims...;)

Cheers

John Lichtenberger

So, how many tests (using a small numbers of trials) could you cite, that show that the detection ability of their participants was that high?

AFAIK, not one single claim of audible non-mundane cable differences is backed by ANY controlled tests, small number or no. That includes your own claimed tests. You've said that you have data, but won't publish it, nor will you share the test methods, procedures, setup, details, results, or analysis.

That doesn't inspire confidence.

Your question indicates you didn't get my gist.

Without dragging this too far afield, and trust issues aside ;), no, I wasn't particularly expecting good sound from it. I had no reason to expect a keeper, even the original circuit values appear optimized for long life, near Class-B operation giving little promise for the iron. Like the Gainclone, it was a quickie meant to get me back into the swing of building and possibly act as another reference for my SE projects. Sure, I would do due diligence in regard to basic performance parameters but was far from expecting possibly the best amp I have.

It was sighted, the circuit (still not drawn) evolved counter to almost all my design biases, and the results blew me away. When the mantra here is that audiophools are complete and unknowing pawns to sighted biases this experience appears to be a decent counterexample.

Status
Not open for further replies.