I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pristin-ity

Nice try.

<snip)

I think what jakob is saying is when you set out to achieve a null, a result asserted continuously by many here, the experimental protocol must be pristine. To use a trivial example of one that isn't, SY with a police whistle. Pants on or off.

So I guess your point is that, unless you do a proper experiment, take time to design and execute correctly, and publish the results for others to review and crritique, it's not a good experiment? Okay, I believe that's implicit in normal competent scientific inquiry.

So, got anything else?

jan, you really believe no one understands? Where I struggle with it is, for example, my latest project. It's directly counter to my every expectation and preference; it's PP instead of SE, low FB instead of NFB, triode-connected pentode instead of triode, $50 of '60s jukebox iron with a dozen taps instead of the nice James stuff laying about, LC power supply instead of low DCR, huge electrolytics in the PS instead of poly. And the terrific sound quality is kicking my backside. So, at least on the basis of expectation, here are strong biases shattered one after another by sound. How should I reconcile this with claims I'm completely its dupe?
Just drop the assumption that you are consciously aware of "every expectation and preference". It seems slightly odd to build an amp based on ideas you reject, unless you were out to build a bad sounding amp.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jan, you really believe no one understands? Where I struggle with it is, for example, my latest project. It's directly counter to my every expectation and preference; it's PP instead of SE, low FB instead of NFB, triode-connected pentode instead of triode, $50 of '60s jukebox iron with a dozen taps instead of the nice James stuff laying about, LC power supply instead of low DCR, huge electrolytics in the PS instead of poly. And the terrific sound quality is kicking my backside. So, at least on the basis of expectation, here are strong biases shattered one after another by sound. How should I reconcile this with claims I'm completely its dupe?
[snip].

With all due respect, but if you really understand, how can you NOT be for controlled testing? If you really understand, how can you think you are aware of your bias, aware of the factors that determine in the end your perception? The whole point is that your aren't.

And if you really understand, how can you still think it's viewed as 'a dupe'?

jd

It seems slightly odd to build an amp based on ideas you reject, unless you were out to build a bad sounding amp.
Not odd at all. My 'serious' builds always stall when I learn something new and start restructuring. A direct-coupled 2A3 SE and 3-stage 813 SE among them. This 6LU8 P-P based on Rowe iron was something I was blowing off quick just to get something done, like the Gainclone I built before it.

So if I understand the gist properly, my conscious expectation of potentially audible differences between cables discounts the possibility of expectation bias?

Last edited:
If it is audible to you,I assure you it is audible to me too.
Like the popping sound in the Klippel test? Clearly not ;).
Nor can you hear the diffraction of the sharp top edge of the cabinet, the decorrelation of the vertical drivers, the sharp changes in the directivity index, the large power response spectral imbalance, the low resolution of the lossy diaphragm materials, the poor polar response and it's effect on the reverberant field, the soft clipping of the low power tubes driving an inefficient load, etc, etc, etc. etc.
Yet you can hear witch effects in wires, while missing all of that. Strange.:confused:

Please consider two possible scenarios:

1.) guy (believing that absolute polarity is audible) does a sighted test, and claims that he had heard a difference.

2.) guy (strongly believing that absolute polarity is inaudible) does a sighted test and claims, that he had not heard a difference

Do you see the problem?

Yeah.

Do you?

If you believe that all high end audio cable manufacturers's cables alter the sound then you have no idea about high end cables.Don't tell us again of 4-5 cases that we all know...............

Panikos this is a strange comment. Cables do not alter the sound but are still audibly different?

Cardas has cables that range from 1nF per meter to 60pF per meter, as do many not just 4-5. To discount out of hand the effect of 3nF for a 3 meter cable is unreasonable.

Any cable test that does not eliminate the possibley audible FR changes is invalid or just plain anecdotal at best.

Who's idea was the klippel test?
Mine :devilr:
I thought I had already thanked you for participating as I intended?
What about all the audible, measurable (real - the sound waves portion of the "hearing" process) issues I raised? No imagination is needed to hear these, so the consequences are in a different category than wire "witch effects". Yet they are unaddressed and wires take precedence?
Now,if for you good sound is a huge amp driving big sensitive speakers in very high levels in a 4x5m room,then I have no problem with your preferenes and understanding of what good sound is.
Is this what you meant here?
Don't tell us about a 20 years old 100db sesitivity disco speaker driven by a 250w/ch questionable amp fed by a questionable dvd player and used off e-bay crappy wires.
I mistook it for the condescending attitude those who are convinced that they have "high end" systems and "hearing" (of things like wires) often have towards the "mid-fi" (competent engineering) "cheap" systems and hearing (sound waves) crowd. Hopefully you would not be offended if the table was ever turned on you.
If by "huge" amp, you mean sufficient dynamic power as to be not in a state of constant soft clipping, during classical, big band and jazz recordings, then yes. That is audible, even in blind tests after dawn.
As are speakers with enough dynamic range as not to be compressors. Like you would hear with a live piano or ensemble. No compression. Real. That type of "good sound".
Ever think of "wire sound" when listening to a live saxophone?

cheers,

AJ

Last edited:
Panikos this is a strange comment. Cables do not alter the sound but are still audibly different?

Cardas has cables that range from 1nF per meter to 60pF per meter, as do many not just 4-5. To discount out of hand the effect of 3nF for a 3 meter cable is unreasonable.

Any cable test that does not eliminate the possibley audible FR changes is invalid or just plain anecdotal at best.

Many cable manufacturers make different cables for certain uses,so it is logical that their characteristics wil be different..A typical interconnect cable however,of say 70-80 pF/m cannot be regarded as one that alters the sound-in a negative way-as AJ implied in his post,probably for one of my cables.As I said in other posts of mine before,I have experienced higher resolution from higher purity metals in similar cable designs,one of the examples were some identical designs from audioquest but with different grades of copper etc...

A typical interconnect cable however,of say 70-80 pF/m cannot be regarded as one that alters the sound-in a negative way-as AJ implied in his post
I didn't imply.
You stated you "heard" a difference in wires.
I asked, directly: did you measure the sound field? Did you try to account for what you "heard", by measuring sound waves?
That is not what you said your approach would be to room "treatments". You said, specifically: No measurements of sound waves.

Is this what you meant here?

AJ

What I meant there is clear.It was a reply to the poster who said that some don't know what to listen to etc........Someone,who is using a system that IMO has nothing to do with high resolution sound.I just happened to know his cerwin vega speakers very well.I also used to know the importer of those speakers,who was installing them in small clubs,pubs etc.......for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
What I said about room treatments is that I have the luxury to borrow some and experiment.

Perhaps one day you'll have the greater luxury of borrowing some measurement equipment. Learn how to correlate sound waves with that portion of the hearing process. Realize why rationalists consider electrical wire an afterthought...and 20+ years audio equipment/wire salesmen don't ;)

So you don't/can't measure, but you know FR is not altered by your magic wires. :confused:
That's quite a conundrum.

AJ

Here is what you said about my cables,without of course knowing what they are.What do I have to measure when I'm using an interconnect with 70pF/m capacitance to confirm that it does not alter FR?Especially when I don't feel that something in my system's sound is bothering me?

EDIT: Same reply for your post 11377 above.

Last edited:
Any reason why a huge amp/very sensitive speakers will sound better than a small amp/lower sensitivity speakers in a 4x5m room,except the higher sound presure the "big system" can achieve,especially if one does not listen to very high levels?

Yes. If you listen to music that actually has dynamic range, the latter will spend a lot of time clipping, even at moderate listening levels. Put some numbers to it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.