I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make sense. EMF is caused by a wire & a magnetic field in relative motion.... a fixed inductor is not moving in a magnetic field, it is the whole basis of how a dynamic loudspeaker works.

EMF is caused by a changing magnetic field impinging on the coil of wire, whether it's due to the coil moving within a magnetic field (such as with a moving coil cartridge), a magnetic field moving within the coil (such as a moving magnet cartridge), or by a change in current flowing through the coil of wire (such as an inductor).

In a dynamic loudspeaker, the cone's mass, the compliance of the surround and spyder, and the frictional losses of the two combine to form a damped resonant system which models electrically as inductance, capacitance and resistance.

And the EMF of a loudspeaker is the same as the EMF of an inductor.

Jeeez, just look at the most basic physics of an inductor. EMF = -L (delta I/delta t).

se

It is this lack of moving parts that causes most folks to think that designing transformers is a Black Art, and what attracted me to them in the first place. The no moving parts bit, though, considering the land wars I am responsible for starting on this site, I suppose the Black Art bit could also be relevant....

Bud

My vote is to close the thread or to move to a less important forum place

I will, by myself unsubscribe:

C'mon guys, let's stop with this delirium..let’s try to
set our foot on earth, have the good sense to realize that
we represent the elite of DIY, this is the best wide world forum and we have a lot of people that deserves respect ... these fantasies, delusions, they are going too long and it just cooperates to our discredit, to humiliate us before the international audio communitty..already read and heard that audio lovers, also passionated people, professionals and musicians think we are pseudo scientists, arrogant and pretentious and fans of myths, the creators, the transmitters, propagators and perpetuators of myths and absurd ideas.. they say we complicate everything not referenced into the science, the physics and common sense.. that we use to looking for lice into bald man heads.

Give us a break friends, and keep with yourselves all those dreams of deep imagination..all that stuff is a shame for us, so many opinions without any scientific basis and support..without having a comparison testing… based on “I feel”..or “I believe”… egocentric and individual ideas beeing spread into a communitary international forum… ideas alike (I can hear better than others) are ridiculous..we are all the same folks..our genetics are 99 percent the same around the world..we all came from Africa.

This is turning too much .. stressing all maximum levels of tolerance to people that is reading all those absurdities that are showing us ridiculous in front of the world.

We are not we the only ones who read these posts and
threads .... everyone reads ... and lower the level that way reduces our importance as respectable members of the audio international community.. not only that but also rave those who tolerate the continuation of threads containing material so unscientific and unreasonable.

My vote is to end this discussion, or to be moved to a less important forum part as “everything else” or “crazy imaginative things”

regards,

Carlos

Yes. Conscious ones, too. I remember the early days of The Audio Critic- if a speaker didn't use a KEF T27 tweeter, the highs were no good.

Peter Aczel was never an advocate for anyone that seriously listens to anything but his prose about how smart he is and how dumb everyone else is. That is why he publication is the smallest circulation of all the audio rags that I am aware of. No one reads him that I am aware of anymore.

meant to suggest that a cable thread will interest "purists" more, if that doesn't interest you why bother in a cable thread.

Any Cable discussion shouldn't be exclusionary. I live in that exclusionary world (gated communities, private clubs, etc) I defy them all the time and I will defy any exclusions anywhere else.

People that like audio science and do not consider themselves purests are more then welcome to post opinion (I would hope since this is an open and free forum). Their opinions if backed up has more substance then anyone that posting based on subjective experience only.

Also "purists" would only represent one side of the debate...what is the point in that sort of discussion other then to stroke each others subjective opinons?

Peter Aczel was never an advocate for anyone that seriously listens to anything but his prose about how smart he is and how dumb everyone else is. That is why he publication is the smallest circulation of all the audio rags that I am aware of. No one reads him that I am aware of anymore.

Geddes papers on waveguides, etc are not in major circulation but they are extremely accurate and have changed the way people are designing horns.

Circulation numbers really are not a good barometer of accuracy. Tabloids sell the most compared to something like the Havard Review (Yes I have a subscription to that) so based on your logic we should all believe what is printed in them.

Audio rags in general are useless, they have to make money and so they look at the market who is buying them....Guys like you buy them so they know accuracy and science need not be included to make a profit ;)

You amuse me daily with every post. Im scared to think what kind of audio sales guy you were. :eek:

Geddes papers on waveguides, etc are not in major circulation but they are extremely accurate and have changed the way people are designing horns.

Circulation numbers really are not a good barometer of accuracy. Tabloids sell the most compared to something like the Havard Review (Yes I have a subscription to that) so based on your logic we should all believe what is printed in them.

Audio rags in general are useless, they have to make money and so they look at the market who is buying them....Guys like you buy them so they know accuracy and science need not be included to make a profit ;)

You amuse me daily with every post. Im scared to think what kind of audio sales guy you were. :eek:

Thank you Doug.

The tweeter stuff from TAC was back in the days when they heard all sorts of magical things that their later testing showed to be... questionable. These days, they aren't publishing anymore- audio as audio is a graying and contracting field, and being a niche guy in that field is pretty much impossible. Too bad, I was never impressed with Aczel, but guys like Rich, Nousaine, Keele, Berger were terrific. And the occasional tech article (like the jitter one from Bob Adams) stood head and shoulders above the rather sad pack of audio mags like post-JGH Stereophile, Fi, TAS, and the like.

Never said anything was wrong with Earl's work, did I :)

Well it is a good indication that it must not offer much as no one reads it, except maybe those that believe what he thinks. Which thankfully are few.

Doug this is the internet. Why not ask the question! I am sure that some of my customers are out here somewhere. Any other insults that you feel neccessary to make about me today :spin:

The tweeter stuff from TAC was back in the days when they heard all sorts of magical things that their later testing showed to be... questionable. These days, they aren't publishing anymore- audio as audio is a graying and contracting field, and being a niche guy in that field is pretty much impossible. Too bad, I was never impressed with Aczel, but guys like Rich, Nousaine, Keele, Berger were terrific. And the occasional tech article (like the jitter one from Bob Adams) stood head and shoulders above the rather sad pack of audio mags like post-JGH Stereophile, Fi, TAS, and the like.

Sy,

Peter Aczel has never been an audiophile in all the time that I have been reading his stuff (since before 1980). He tries to discredit everything about the high end audio market. Not very successfully, but that has not stopped him yet. The economy has put a hurt on all of the audio market, as well as every other discretionary hobby for the majority of the world.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry I disagree, I believe the subconcious can be influenced by concious training. A blind person's ears doesn't change, he only trained the mind.

Not quite true.
If the neuron transmitters in your ears are going to be you're only way to survive, they'll be more accute as they'll get exercised more.
Which kind of corelates with the "let's train ours ears" theory.

I'm quite certain women have good hearing abilities because society historically has pushed them in a submissive role for centuries.
Unfortunately that doesn't imply they'd understand what us males are telling them but their way of communicating proves the point.

No, what you're training is the cognitive part of your brain.
What you can act upon may well be the intuitive part of your brain relying on instinct.

The situation within the context of this thread resembles more an inner battle between right and left lobes of the brain than it has to do with cables.

Cheers, ;)

Also "purists" would only represent one side of the debate...what is the point in that sort of discussion other then to stroke each others subjective opinons?

Doug I agree with you that this should be a discussion, but there seems to be no room for it here. Proof is the large number of people that buy the products that you say can not be what they claim to be. I guess I never knew that intelligent people made choices based upon advertising, except the lesser educated people or those that were not serious about their hobbies. That I can understand.

Monster Cable came onto the scene and offered a simple test. Listen to these cables and decide for yourself if they sound better to you. When they were first on the market, I do not recall one person that said "I have to have those cables". We set up a simple switch with 16 gauge zip cord (the defacto in the last 70's in a mid-fi shop and the basic Monster Cables on the other switch. They were allowed to select either one and decide for themselves. I will GUARANTEE you that far more said that it could not make any difference than ever said that "these must be great", before we ever turned on an amplifier to listen. The rest is history.

No predisposition to that product I can assure you! I do not recall one person that "listened to those simple cables, that did not buy them. These were the cheapest cables that we carried other than zip cord.

Last edited:
Any Cable discussion shouldn't be exclusionary. I live in that exclusionary world (gated communities, private clubs, etc) I defy them all the time and I will defy any exclusions anywhere else.

People that like audio science and do not consider themselves purests are more then welcome to post opinion (I would hope since this is an open and free forum). Their opinions if backed up has more substance then anyone that posting based on subjective experience only.

Doug I wil say again, my intend were not to exclude you. I've said in the past also that I believe it is only worthwhile to experiment with cables if you have a descent system and you like to listen to unamplified acoustical instruments, perhaps voice also. The idea of playing with cables is only to try and get those last few percent of information but to me that last few percent is what make it sound 'real' or at least believable.

According to me, if one start with EQ you undo everything that may be achieved by good cables. Only my view so don't shoot me for saying it. So my point were, why worry about cables if you clearly don't care for what you may gain with good cables. To some of us there is enough potential gain in using good cable to make it worthwhile to US, we have never tried to convince other to change their beliefs or cables, it is completely your choice.

Clearer now?

If the neuron transmitters in your ears are going to be you're only way to survive, they'll be more accute as they'll get exercised more.
Cheers, ;)

Dave, this survival theory doesn't sit well with me but let's leave it there. :)

I will agree with you on the left / right brain part but I do believe that better hearing are not reserved for the blind, everybody can train themselves to sharpen their senses. I believe our subconcious mind block everything it deem irrelevant, only passing the rest to the concious mind, we can to a certain extent control what get blocked and what not.

Proof is the large number of people that buy the products that you say can not be what they claim to be.

Bottled water. Copper bracelets. Magnetic inserts for shoes. Astrology. Homeopathic drugs... there's no shortage of stuff that does absolutely nothing that's claimed for it but sells well, and not just to drooling morons. Sorry, the argument "it must work, it sells" doesn't hold homeopathic water.

I'd also gently point out that the makers of ultra-expensive speaker wire don't sell that much, either, so the argument fails there as well. If >$2/ft cable is as much as 2% market share, I'll be shocked.

Sy,

Peter Aczel has never been an audiophile in all the time that I have been reading his stuff (since before 1980). He tries to discredit everything about the high end audio market. Not very successfully, but that has not stopped him yet. The economy has put a hurt on all of the audio market, as well as every other discretionary hobby for the majority of the world.

I don't see how anyone can read his reviews from issues 1-14 and come away with that. It was all esoteric stuff with loving descriptions of the sound and the usual glossing over of fit, finish, and reliability.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Dave, this survival theory doesn't sit well with me but let's leave it there. :)

I will agree with you on the left / right brain part but I do believe that better hearing are not reserved for the blind, everybody can train themselves to sharpen their senses. I believe our subconcious mind block everything it deem irrelevant, only passing the rest to the concious mind, we can to a certain extent control what get blocked and what not.

A small supplement of Omega 3, 6 and 9 may solve the confusion of the brain lobes, mon ami.

Apres tout, en vieillissant on ne rajeunit pas, n'est-ce-pas?

No one suggested that "better hearing" is reserved for the blind.
I could think of other social circumstances that could have a similar effect, can't you?

Cheers, ;)

Bottled water. Copper bracelets. Magnetic inserts for shoes. Astrology. Homeopathic drugs... there's no shortage of stuff that does absolutely nothing that's claimed for it but sells well, and not just to drooling morons. Sorry, the argument "it must work, it sells" doesn't hold homeopathic water.

I'd also gently point out that the makers of ultra-expensive speaker wire don't sell that much, either, so the argument fails there as well. If >$2/ft cable is as much as 2% market share, I'll be shocked.

All that I can say is that people heard those differences for themselves Sy. As far as 2% of the sales of a average audio store, you are way off. If you are talking about zip cord that is probably really high! Just my experience from being in retail audio for all those years.

Now expensive cables (over $50.00 a pair or more) then is was really system cost dependent. If someone purchase a $2000.00 system, then the cabling would easily exceed $100.00 for a pair of interconnects to a CD player and decent speaker cables. They were always told that the cabling (interconnects that were packaged with the CD players for example) should be tried against the better cabling that was purchased, just to make sure that they knew what they were buying, once the system was setup in thier homes. The cabling was a money back guarantee always.

Sorry if that hurts your opinion, but that was an average tag on a system of that cost. I do not recall anyone that bought a decent mid-fi stereo system that did not want better cabling. We did not even offer zip cord after about 1985 or so. I do not recall anyone asking for it anymore around that time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.