Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you want a good laugh, go over to the AC site and read through the NCORE threads. The dogma there is astounding. Here is just a sampler... "all switching amps sound worse than any Class A amp", "Class A amps do a better job of cleaning the input signal than switching amps" (I guess Class A amps have more suction than switchers...LOL), "battery power supplies are always better than SMPS"....and the list goes on. And the guy who runs AC just boots anybody with a dissenting opinion. Hilarious.

If any of you want a good laugh, go over to the AC site and read through the NCORE threads. The dogma there is astounding. Here is just a sampler... "all switching amps sound worse than any Class A amp", "Class A amps do a better job of cleaning the input signal than switching amps" (I guess Class A amps have more suction than switchers...LOL), "battery power supplies are always better than SMPS"....and the list goes on. And the guy who runs AC just boots anybody with a dissenting opinion. Hilarious.

When you quote from an other forum, at least do it correct (your copy/paste function might come in handy....).
Unless the post I read was not the same as where your quote comes from it is like this: "A class A amp from Passlabs does a much cleaner job of reproducing an incoming music signal than any switching amp".
That is quite different from your quote "....a better job of cleaning the input signal.....".
By the way I read a lot of positive comments on Ncore at AC, so I don't understand your suggestion that the product is less well received there than it is here (by the way I am not a member there).
Laugh provoking posts are to be read on every forum, also at DIYaudio, even at this very thread.

Last edited:
Without wishing to prolong or inflame the AC NCore debate, I have read a lot of what has been written on the Ncores both here and on AC. My view - fairly impartial, I have no axe to grind here - is that if AC have some kind of anti-Hypex/ClassD agenda they're not implementing it very well...

The US NC400 Tour thread is a pretty compelling advert for the power of the Ncore technology to convert people to the Hypex darkness (sic). Lots of positive comment, some cycnicism.

Personally I'd rather they were doing the NC400 down - the waiting list might be a bit shorter if they did!

I guess you hear what you want to hear, see what you want to see. The debate is always more around how you spread your views.

I think that is not an entirely fair description of the AC thread. And while you may disagree with some of the claims being made over there, these forum members are mostly stating what has been the case in their experience.

You will see many members there comparing the ncore to their personal amps thanks to the tour that has been organized. A great resource for those on this thread looking for listening impressions and comparisons.

And speaking of comparisons. I briefly heard the ncores back to back with some TRL Samson monoblocks last night, and wow did both sound impressive. Very ecxiting to finally hear these. No clear cut winner, but certainly walked away impressed with both amps (never having heard either before). As some folks on AC have mentioned, it is a pretty close call with some high-end amps. I think that where it is as close as what I hear last night, I'd need to live with both for a little while to eventually make a final decision.

Has anyone who is running 110 volt mains measured the output voltage from the auxiliary tap on the SMPS 600?

The manual indicates that it's typically 21 volts (min = 16, max = 24), but that voltage is proportional to the mains. I'm only interested in using this to power a LED, so if there's a better way, I'd be happy to be told otherwise.

Thanks,
Bob

And speaking of comparisons. I briefly heard the ncores back to back with some TRL Samson monoblocks last night, and wow did both sound impressive. Very ecxiting to finally hear these. No clear cut winner, but certainly walked away impressed with both amps (never having heard either before). As some folks on AC have mentioned, it is a pretty close call with some high-end amps. I think that where it is as close as what I hear last night, I'd need to live with both for a little while to eventually make a final decision.

Well, if you did not perceive a clear cut difference, then the NCOREs win on price/performance. Samson's retail for $5500/pair and a DIY dual mono config of NC400's in cases is around $2K IIRC.

I don't recognize why this long discussion about hypex Ncore, for me I really don't care for a D amplifier built with SMD technology, while I know nothing about its circuit.

However, many people here like this type of amplifiers, because they feel they own the technology, but indeed, I cannot feel the DIY spirit into such thing.

what about, if this amp blown? can any one fix it?

The manual indicates that it's typically 21 volts (min = 16, max = 24), but that voltage is proportional to the mains. I'm only interested in using this to power a LED, so if there's a better way, I'd be happy to be told otherwise.

At the same time, the SMPS600 has circuitry to sense the mains voltage, and switch "ratio" based on sensing 110 vs. 230 V. So the "proportional to mains" is in relation to nominal mains, be it 110 or 230 V.

What do you mean?

Simply that the Tour (for which I am amazed at your generosity, letting your new amps go off around the US on their own - full marks!) is generating a lot of demand for the NC400s which are in very short supply as it is.

Taking my tongue out of my cheek, it is very encouraging (for someone like me who has been a firm UCD fan for five years or more now but has yet to be able to hear the new modules) that the ncore amps are winning out over some very respected designs. I shall be placing my order as soon as enough spare pennies have accrued in my pockets:)

Simply that the Tour (for which I am amazed at your generosity, letting your new amps go off around the US on their own - full marks!) is generating a lot of demand for the NC400s which are in very short supply as it is.

Taking my tongue out of my cheek, it is very encouraging (for someone like me who has been a firm UCD fan for five years or more now but has yet to be able to hear the new modules) that the ncore amps are winning out over some very respected designs. I shall be placing my order as soon as enough spare pennies have accrued in my pockets:)

Gotcha.

Show me a power supply that works when short circuited... :)

they are called arc welders and tend to turn speakers into piles of slag.

but I know of no instance of the SMPS 600 being reported as failing. One may have caused a failure in an amp module when plugged in with a full charge. Still unclear on that. But that is incorrect action on the person wielding the parts, this is DIY, meaning you should have knowledge about what you are doing. If not, go buy the one with the full warranty.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.