Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the creation an engraving template file from a vector file, we charge a flat rate of € 20 per file and size. For vectorizing a bitmap image, we charge a flat rate of € 80 per file.

I think I'll pass :)

You won't need any of the above.
Just download their software and experiment.
It'll also calculate cost (excluding VAT I think & shipping to and from Schaeffer).

Me neither, not with with a gouge /curved chisel!
I do suspect they use a (cnc) router.

Maybe use something like Schaeffer (Home- Schaeffer AG - Frontplatten, Front Panels, Faces Avant). Expensive, but very good.

I've used this company for prototypes and the enclosures http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/fileadmin/pdf/Housingassemblymanual.pdf are really good and I think the 'side panel 2' which is an extrusion 56mm overall may be ideal to house the NC400 and the SMPS600 with 10mm spacers.
Only negative with Schaeffer (Front Panel Express in USA) is that the front panels have 'raw' unfinished cut edges! Other than that, their service is 1st class and the little CAD programme is a piece of cake to use. I like the fact that you can keep checking the cost as you design.

I wonder what kind of unbalanced cable can be so good that overall it actually performs better than a normal, decent balanced one.

Well Bruno I have a pair of unbalanced RCA Bertram ref silver cable with handmade (bakelit) phonoplugs, that are lasertech welded on the pure silver cable. Actually looks like **** , but sounds like a dream !

Both my cd player and my amp is fully balanced, but I prefer the unbalanced solution because of the sound of the Bertram cable !

Unfortunately I can`t afford to buy the same cable in the balanced version, the price tag is simply too high :( As an example, I have compared the Bertram cable with a balanced Nordost Frey cable and I still prefer the unbalanced solution :)

The Frey is a very good cable and I use Nordost speaker cable, so it`s not a question of which brand of cable I prefer ;)

If you compare two identical cables ,one RCA and one XLR, I`m sure as you indicated that the balanced version will sound better ! If we`re talking about truely balanced gear :cool:

I wonder what kind of unbalanced cable can be so good that overall it actually performs better than a normal, decent balanced one.

Well Bruno I have a pair of unbalanced RCA Bertram ref silver cable with handmade (bakelit) phonoplugs, that are lasertech welded on the pure silver cable. Actually looks like **** , but sounds like a dream !

Both my cd player and my amp is fully balanced, but I prefer the unbalanced solution because of the sound of the Bertram cable !

Unfortunately I can`t afford to buy the same cable in the balanced version, the price tag is simply too high :( As an example, I have compared the Bertram cable with a balanced Nordost Frey cable and I still prefer the unbalanced solution :)

The Frey is a very good cable and I use Nordost speaker cable, so it`s not a question of which brand of cable I prefer ;)

If you compare two identical cables ,one RCA and one XLR, I`m sure as you indicated that the balanced version will sound better ! If we`re talking about truely balanced gear :cool:

Can we please keep snake oil related topics like these out of the thread? :(
There are already too many more or less off topic posts which do not contribute to the transparency.

Now I remember, the old telephones always sounded really superior to the new mobile phones. It`s probably the bakelit that was responsable for this. Oh no! This sounds like a dream too.

Last edited:
Just finished assembling my NCores and compared some against my Aleph J monoblocks... and since I promised to post a review here it is =)

Summary: The NCore is a better amp, there is no question about it.

Method: I put both speakers next to each other, hooked one to an NCore and the other to an Aleph J. I then normalized volume of both with and SPL meter using pink noise. I mixed together the tracks I tested with to mono and then used the software channel balance slider to test back and forth during listening.

Speaker: A pair of omnidirectional BR built from a kit (Valutronics SQ-50 C2)
I have not yet measured the speakers so they might not have a perfectly flat response, getting microphone is next on my agenda but I'm not there yet =)

What differences I found: The Aleph Js emphasises the midrange, the bass and the highs. When I switch from the Aleph to the NCore the biggest difference is that I can hear the highs better and the lows better, but the biggest difference is in the highs.

It's almost as if I had used EQ to lower the bass and highs with the Aleph. It's like lifting a veil when switching from the Aleph to the NCore, the bass is heard better and the highs also.

The difference is much more subtle on less complex tracks, especially in the bass but the highs are still much more clear with the NCore.

To summarize, the NCore is as far as I can hear a better amp.

The tracks i tested: ( I used flac versions ofc, not bad youtube rips :p )

Complex tracks:
Towards the Terra - Aoi Hoshi
Towards the Terra - Idai naru Kake
Rideback - Legend of the few miles (didn't find those two on youtube, so no links on those :crying:)

Less complex tracks:
Tsukoyomi Moon Phase - A Valley in my Tears
Haibane Renmei - Ailes Grises

P.S. Anyone here who wants to buy a pair of Aleph J monoblocks? ;)

..... The Aleph Js emphasises the midrange, the bass and the highs. When I switch from the Aleph to the NCore the biggest difference is that I can hear the highs better and the lows better, but the biggest difference is in the highs.

The Aleph J's emphasizes midrange, bass and highs..... :D:D

You seem to be focused on balance of frequencies.
You don't know your loudspeakers' balance......

I am sorry, for my this "review" is completely useless

Addition on harshness:

I didn't find the NCore to sound harsh, I didn't cringe on some tracks as I remember that I did with the F5 when I compared that one to the Aleph J on some track. The main difference were that the Aleph sounded as if the bass and highs were EQed down wheres the NCore didn't.

The Aleph J's emphasizes midrange, bass and highs..... :D:D

You seem to be focused on balance of frequencies.
You don't know your loudspeakers' balance......

I know that it's response is fairly flat, but what I don't have is an exact measurement where I know every imperfection in the speaker.

I didn't mean balance in that way, what I meant was that on complex tracks the Aleph muddles frequencies together and mainly the midrange is heard, where with the NCore the bass is still heard.

Last edited:

C'mon, no need to be that harsh. We asked for a comparison between the two amps and we got one. Certainly not useless just for the information that for one person, in one system, the ncores were preferred, particularly in the bass and with certain types of music over others.

How about instead of insulting a forum member who took the time to give a comparison, instead ask for some clarification or additional details that you would find helpful.

C'mon, no need to be that harsh. We asked for a comparison between the two amps and we got one. Certainly not useless just for the information that for one person, in one system, the ncores were preferred, particularly in the bass and with certain types of music over others.

How about instead of insulting a forum member who took the time to give a comparison, instead ask for some clarification or additional details that you would find helpful.

Sorry, I would not call this a comparison between amps regarding the test "set up".
I don't think anyone gets any wiser from this, and it was not meant to be insulting, but to be taken serious I'd expect something better.
Both amplifiers will measure ruler flat in the audio band; when there are clearly detectable differences in tone balance I rather expect some mismatch somewhere. When there are no mismatches the differences between whatever good quality amplifiers are subtle.

Last edited:
The test set-up has some advantages (such as being able to quickly and easily A/B the amps) and some disadvantages (such as no way of assessing things like soundstaging). We may not get wiser on all aspects of the amps. But I feel wiser knowing that someone preferred the ncore to an Aleph J in this type of set-up with a particular pair of speakers. There isn't any such thing as a review without certain caveats.

As I said, if you want to be wiser about how the two compare, maybe ask for clarification or additional details of interest to you, rather than insulting the poster. Let's keep this a civil and supportive forum.

OllBoll, many thanks for your efforts. I certainly look forward to any other comparisons you care to share.

Speaker: A pair of omnidirectional BR built from a kit (Valutronics SQ-50 C2)
I have not yet measured the speakers so they might not have a perfectly flat response, getting microphone is next on my agenda but I'm not there yet =)

Curious how the impedance curve of this speaker is.
They don't seem to be a good fit for an Aleph J.
They remind me of Sonab loudspeakers; nice room filling sound but no clear focus or real transparency. Actually I can imagine that the reviewer does not find more than some differences in balance.
IMO omnidirectionals are not well suited for this kind of comparisons.

.....But I feel wiser knowing that someone preferred the ncore to an Aleph J in this type of set-up with a particular pair of speakers. There isn't any such thing as a review without certain caveats.

As I said, if you want to be wiser about how the two compare, maybe ask for clarification or additional details of interest to you, rather than insulting the poster. Let's keep this a civil and supportive forum.

That's the point: with a particular set of speakers which to me are not suited for an amplfier comparison.

Please stop suggesting that I insult the poster; when he feels insulted he will let me know but I don't think he feels like that.

OK, now we are getting more constructive.

I doubt I am alone in thinking that this statement could be read as insulting: "I am sorry, for my this "review" is completely useless" Especially since you put "useless" in bold. The poster may not find it insulting, but I sure would if I had taken the time to compare the amps and report back my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.