Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does an unbalanced cable with separate signal and shield/ground wires let ground currents mix with the music?
RCA plugs have only two circuits. There is no arrangement of wires between two RCA plugs that will make it three. Whatever wire connects the two ring contacts will serve two purposes at once (connecting the chassis and transmitting the reference zero potential that is one half of the signal), thereby letting both functions interfere with eachother. The very popular "pseudo balanced" cable arrangement you're referring to is based on the belief that the conflict is between shielding and grounding. It is not. There is no conflict between shielding and grounding. The two are almost made for eachother. There is however a serious conflict between transmitting the zero potential and grounding. That's the one nobody is ever going to solve with only one circuit to do both.

Do you mean SPL moving cable conductors relative to each other modulates the signal?
Mixes with. The effect is slight when the cable is driven by a low impedance sources but with a high impedance source or no source it's quite easy to hear the effect of rubbing or tapping on a cable. But there's an important message here. The effect goes away when the cable is shorted because the charge caused by mechanical vibrations can directly equalize through the short. There is a reason why esoteric cables are more prevalent in consumer high-end audio: preamps with high output impedances are also more common there. Once again you see how this market stimulates its own follies.
If so, it seems that cable construction that tightly binds the conductors together is preferred.
Correct. There are other methods too to make flexible low-noise cables but making the whole thing rock solid is one way.
How about keeping speaker/amp ground isolated from earth/chassis ground with the shield connected to the latter?
Yes! You're almost there!!! Now, consider that the differential input of the NC400 can also be called a floating input. So the floating you're asking for is not done at the amplifier ground but at the input.
How does the performance of the NC1200 compare to the NC400?
All the info you need is in the data sheets. The NC400 has somewhat lower distortion & output impedance than the NC1200 and it's got de luxe discrete input buffers. Otherwise the NC1200 has about 40% more voltage and current reserve and that's pretty much all.

Hi, I'm new on here but have been reading with interest for a while and will probably be taking the plunge fairly soon. I'm looking at case options, most of which I have found to be almost the right size but not quite (especially from the Italian company I forget the name of with all the custom plate options).

So, is the above case available with a plain face i.e. no knob etc?

I asked, but they wouldn't make a custom faceplate for just a few pieces. Maybe if there were more of us wanting this it could be done (10 units say?). I could sign up for 3 I think

I'd want two and know someone who might want another two but I'm not sure. The Galaxy cases would be good but my understanding is that the order has to be 100 for them to customise the case size. The THL cases (with the curved front) look pretty good but come in at over £200 delivered. I think you could get the Galaxy cases fully customised (but standard sizes) for less than that and I wouldn't really want to send that much off to Taiwan without having seen one first. I have an engineer who is a friend so will see if it would be straightforward for him to make me two (or preferrably help me make them) but don't want to put him to too much trouble.

I also need to look at best ways of mounting things to minimise drilling or at least make it look as clean as possible as this is all new to me.

I asked, but they wouldn't make a custom faceplate for just a few pieces. Maybe if there were more of us wanting this it could be done (10 units say?). I could sign up for 3 I think
I don't understand. you mean that they won't customize the faceplate for single unit orders? the website doesn't mention anything about a minimum order, the engraving, ink filling and other finishing options are listed as products that you simply add to the cart. care to detail a bit?

Is this a review?
I just love 3 word reviews.

How can you be so sure StigErik?

My UCD400s clearly needed some hours on them before they finally became as open and transparent as they are now. They, without a doubt, changed over the course of 50 to 100 hours. I stopped paying attention after that because they began to sound so good, but early on they didn't sound nearly as transparent as they do today.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
How can you be so sure StigErik?

My UCD400s clearly needed some hours on them before they finally became as open and transparent as they are now. They, without a doubt, changed over the course of 50 to 100 hours. I stopped paying attention after that because they began to sound so good, but early on they didn't sound nearly as transparent as they do today.

Did you - after "burn in" - do an A/B test with brand new modules?

I do like many others also experience that things "settle" after a while. But is not due to any equipment changing. Its about myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.