Hypex DSP module(s)

Hi folks.

I'm looking for a DSP solution.

I scanned plenty of posts back over here. I do find it hard to get the picture about this Hypex module.

The current price seems attractive. Though usually a price reduction means there is something new in the pipe. :confused:

That brings me back to the areas of improvement.

I cut out my 3 major areas of concern.

People seem to accept that the resolution ( or call it sound experience) of the Hypex DSP seems to be more mellow & softer then e.g. a MINIDSP module.

If I hear people talking "mellow&soft" and/or "natural&warm" in the digital world, my alarm bells start ringing.

And such a or a similar performance is supposedly better than a clean and detailed MiniDSP that's powered by a cheap SMPS. Hmmh.

I read certain feedback about the MiniDSP stuff some months back.
MiniDSP doesn't seem to be able to compete with high quality standalone stereo DACs.

My conclusion: What's being brought up over here might suggest that the Hypex DSP board including DACs is even worse then the MiniDsp when it comes to 1:1 DA conversion.

6 * mediocre DA conversion, won't make 1* top level sound.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.

Somebody referenced to Grimm LS1 DSP. Obviously they put some additional emphasis on clocking etc. This then kind of makes sense to me.

USB audio and 16bit. :eek:

That's been a pretty common feature in 2005-2007. Associated interface chips are not known for highest quality sound experience. Beside that all
data processing done on the PC needs to be converted back to 16 bit and dithered.

Today you'd expect an XMOS chip on the receiving end that can handle 384khz and all kind of DSD formats @ 32bit.

It again seems that the Grimm products are a bit ahead of time.

I do see a lot of selling arguments around IIRs, minimum phase and avoidance of preringing.
No FIRs are supported due to above.

My view.

Usually FIRs are not supported due to processing power limitations. High sample rates and long FIRs do require quite some horsepower.

Meanwhile MiniDSP also supports FIRs btw.

On the PC s side FIRs are used for highest quality active setups.

####################

Bottom line. I'd understand if Hypex would come up with a new DSP product sooner or later.

I do have a feeling that today I'd be still much better off using a quality 6 channel sound card/USB DAC and a PC with convolver.

Please convince me to go the Hypex (or MiniDSP, Sitronik) route. I'm listening.

Cheers

Hypex knows their way around analogue stuff, so this part should be as good as it gets. They have solved grounding much better than say the MiniDSP that doesn't have floating outputs. The DACs of the DLCP are really good, but most of the performance is in the implementation and I trust Hypex has a good one.

Hi folks.

While I trust Hypex on the analogue part I agree that the USB input is a joke, as it is now it's unusable and I commented on that way back but I don't think they will change it in the near future. Your best bet is a USB -> SPDIF / AES/EBU converter. As the DLCP reclocks it doesn't even have to be a good one, it's enough that it supports 96 khz @ 24 bits.

Hi folks.

The FIR is understandable as it is still somewhat expensive, the MiniDSP solves this with another board as they currently don't have a FIR capable multichannel board. Until Hypex releases a FIR product the easiest solution is to buy say an OpenDRC / MiniSHARC and use it before the DLCP and then do phase correction with FIR first on the MiniSharc and then use IIR on the DLCP. This is the way I'm currently planning to use FIR, just waiting for the DLCP psu to be released =)

I'm glad I found out about the USB input concerns before making any decisions on this.

Would using optical SPDIF from my PC's sound card be one of the better ways to get the audio from my PC to the DLCP?

Yep, unless the PC is ancient it should work perfectly. I too plan on using the optical SPDIF forum my PC as source :)

If it transmits the audio at your desired sampling frequency and bit depth without stuttering then it's OK and you will not improve anything with a more fancy digital source.

The thing with the newer USB interfaces is that they can be asynchronous and thus independent of PC clock but as the DLCP reclocks the signal it already is so there is no need for that.

Yep, unless the PC is ancient it should work perfectly. The thing with the newer USB interfaces is that they can be asynchronous and thus independent of PC clock but as the DLCP reclocks the signal it already is so there is no need for that.
Indeed. More than happy using optical - the benefit of optical is of course that it isolates the connection galvanically, so earth loop issues etc.

Any chance of a repeat of the 4 plots in the datasheet, but for various digital inputs - there's plenty of talk about low jitter, but surely plots for analogue input only tells part of the story? Am I correct in thinking that resampling the input data to 93.75kHz will be a source of jitter that's bypassed when sampling an analogue signal directly?

I could wait for the dedicated power supply if Hypex would speed up the software update cycle. The DLCP is a fine preamp with lot of potential.

What is bothering me is that there is no way to display volume and the input at the same time - a big problem when you switch inputs via remote. Apart from that my unit has some strange crosstalk noise from input 1 on analogue 2 - I will check this again with my dealer next week, but at this point I feel there is a lot of potential not used here.

My DLCP drives my two NC1200 Monos - never heard a better system so far. The only thing that needs improvement is the comfort...

Best
Robert

The progress continues and the next step for me is to connect the DLCP cables.

As the hypex dlcp psu is not out yet I'm using my own psu and as I'm not using the input board I'll be connecting the other stuff myself too. So I wonder about the pin arrangement. I assume that on the dual row connectors the first pin is the black one, and then pin 2 is on the second row. Pin 3 is then on the first row again 1 column right from pin 1. Or in short, like I've drawn with the green circle around it.

And thus the J4 psu connection should be connected with V+, gnd and V- as I've drawn too if I've got the pins correct.

Here is a pic of the rig so far:

The board in the top right corner is my auto poweron/off circuit which I will use one of the two unused channels of the DLCP for such that when I don't play anything for ~ 20 minutes my main speakers power off. The relay on the board is connected to the switch on the hypex soft starts. The amps which is a PSC2.400d & a ~ 75W munching dual channel class A amp for each channel so letting them stay on when not listening is kind of a waste =)

The input is is from a MiniSHARC as I want FIR magic =)

The amount of cables most DSP setups have frighten me so the outputs from this one will be one PowerCON + etherCON for each channel. The EtherCON contains 2 analogue channels + AES/EBU with the option of throwing in another channel in the future if I get a separate DAC for the poweron/off circuit.

Attachments

• DSC_0265.jpg
    DSC_0265.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 490
  • WholeBox.jpeg
    WholeBox.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC_0273.jpg
    DSC_0273.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
What do you see as "FIR magic" ?
(I'm not trying to pick holes, I genuinely want to understand)

Thanks

Phase linearization of the low frequency roll off + all crossovers. I'll use IIR in the DLCP for all the frequency modification but the MiniSHARCs FIR for phase, like how Bruno does in the Grimm LS1. And the nice thing is that the FIR can be common on the whole channel, so it's enough to have 1 MiniSHARC with the 2x2 plugin which has ~ 6000 taps @ 48 khz. It is enough fix even the LR4 @ 25 hz low frequency roll off =)

Last edited:
Hi folks.

I'm looking for a DSP solution.

I scanned plenty of posts back over here. I do find it hard to get the picture about this Hypex module.

The current price seems attractive. Though usually a price reduction means there is something new in the pipe. :confused:

That brings me back to the areas of improvement.

I cut out my 3 major areas of concern.

People seem to accept that the resolution ( or call it sound experience) of the Hypex DSP seems to be more mellow & softer then e.g. a MINIDSP module.

If I hear people talking "mellow&soft" and/or "natural&warm" in the digital world, my alarm bells start ringing.

And such a or a similar performance is supposedly better than a clean and detailed MiniDSP that's powered by a cheap SMPS. Hmmh.

I read certain feedback about the MiniDSP stuff some months back.
MiniDSP doesn't seem to be able to compete with high quality standalone stereo DACs.

My conclusion: What's being brought up over here might suggest that the Hypex DSP board including DACs is even worse then the MiniDsp when it comes to 1:1 DA conversion.

6 * mediocre DA conversion, won't make 1* top level sound.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.

Somebody referenced to Grimm LS1 DSP. Obviously they put some additional emphasis on clocking etc. This then kind of makes sense to me.

USB audio and 16bit. :eek:

That's been a pretty common feature in 2005-2007. Associated interface chips are not known for highest quality sound experience. Beside that all
data processing done on the PC needs to be converted back to 16 bit and dithered.

Today you'd expect an XMOS chip on the receiving end that can handle 384khz and all kind of DSD formats @ 32bit.

It again seems that the Grimm products are a bit ahead of time.

I do see a lot of selling arguments around IIRs, minimum phase and avoidance of preringing.
No FIRs are supported due to above.

My view.

Usually FIRs are not supported due to processing power limitations. High sample rates and long FIRs do require quite some horsepower.

Meanwhile MiniDSP also supports FIRs btw.

On the PC s side FIRs are used for highest quality active setups.

####################

Bottom line. I'd understand if Hypex would come up with a new DSP product sooner or later.

I do have a feeling that today I'd be still much better off using a quality 6 channel sound card/USB DAC and a PC with convolver.

Please convince me to go the Hypex (or MiniDSP, Sitronik) route. I'm listening.

Cheers

Hi Klaus,

www.exadevices.com > Home ????
You do all the oversampling, FIR filtering, measurement with your futur Cubitruck A80 (let me know when launched please !) before : small size also.
You can find many good I2S DAC brand new dac chip or vintage multibitdac... impedance matching and insulation with external I2S boards is a problem but some exist with uf.l connectors. Though I don't see any here with this board...
Hope that helps

Last edited: