• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hybrid Circlotron Amplifier with only 3 components on the signal path

How many reactance is the optimal when I calculate the value of the shunt cap and on which frequency?
I mean this by a "standard" voltage divider, in my original question.

Optimal for what? I would shoot for something below 5Hz at least. A series resistor of 5k and a 10uf cap would give you an F3 of around 3Hz. If you want to use a smaller film cap, then use a higher value resistor. Or, if the bias supply is quiet enough, leave it out altogether.

Sheldon

Thanks Sheldon!
I thought the target frequency is 50Hz or 100Hz against humm.

A series resistor of 5k and a 10uf cap would give you an F3 of around 3Hz. If you want to use a smaller film cap, then use a higher value resistor.
In this example the cap is after the series resistor or before (from the middle point of the voltage divider to the ground)?

If you want to use a smaller film cap, then use a higher value resistor. Or, if the bias supply is quiet enough, leave it out altogether.
Thanks! It was the most important for me.

Only one more question:
What could be the "optimal" imput impedance of a mosfet source follower?
I know it dependinig on the driver's output impedance, but I ask this from the mosfet's point of view.

Tyimo

I thought the target frequency is 50Hz or 100Hz against humm.

'tis, but you want to be well below that to completely suppress it. A little overkill is not a bad thing here.

In this example the cap is after the series resistor or before (from the middle point of the voltage divider to the ground)?

The series resistor is between the wiper and the cap.

What could be the "optimal" imput impedance of a mosfet source follower?
I know it dependinig on the driver's output impedance, but I ask this from the mosfet's point of view.

Not sure what you are asking, and I am by no means an expert on this. That said, I would think that you want some path to ground to drain any static charge from the gate, if it is DC isolated from the rest of the circuit, but I would think that something in the MOhm range would be adequate. In this design, there is already a low impedance path to ground via the bias supply.

Sheldon

The series resistor is between the wiper and the cap.
I attached a little drawings for better undrestanding. Do you mean the A or the B version? Usually people use the B.

Not sure what you are asking, and I am by no means an expert on this.

I mean on "optimal" input impedance as my friend Lineup wrote:
Today Normally used input impedance for power amps is:
10.000 - 22.000 Ohm
The rule is:
If you can,
keep input impedance as low as possible.
This will transport more micro currents ( uA, uAmpere )
in your signal cables,
even if you input voltage is a as low as 0.1 Volt RMS.

So, the question: What is better for the Mosfet sourcefollower? 10K or 100K?

Tyimo

Attachments

• Voltage divider.JPG
    Voltage divider.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
I attached a little drawings for better undrestanding. Do you mean the A or the B version? Usually people use the B.

B

I mean on "optimal" input impedance as my friend Lineup wrote:
Today Normally used input impedance for power amps is:
10.000 - 22.000 Ohm
The rule is:
If you can,
keep input impedance as low as possible.
in your signal cables,
even if you input voltage is a as low as 0.1 Volt RMS.

So, the question: What is better for the Mosfet sourcefollower? 10K or 100K?

Still not sure what you are getting at. Do you mean; what is the optimal impedance for the mosfet source follower to drive? If so, that depends on the circuit, and your distortion requirements. But, a typical power mosfet follower in a TO 220 package can easily drive much lower than a 10k load. The circuit in this thread is a large power mosfet driving an 8 Ohm load, so that should tell you something.

Sheldon

No!!!!
I mean the input impedance of the Mosfet Power Follower stage.:smash: :)
Some people want to set it high, for example 100K or even higher, because it is better for tube preamps, but some people says lower input impedance is better, for example 10 or 20K because the keep input impedance as low as possible.
in your signal cables, even if your input voltage is a as low as 0.1 Volt RMS.

But slowly I will give up. Nobody want to understand this question....

No!!!!
I mean the input impedance of the Mosfet Power Follower stage.:smash: :)
Some people want to set it high, for example 100K or even higher, because it is better for tube preamps, but some people says lower input impedance is better, for example 10 or 20K because the keep input impedance as low as possible.
in your signal cables, even if your input voltage is a as low as 0.1 Volt RMS.

But slowly I will give up. Nobody want to understand this question....

I finally understand the question, but there is no value that works in general. It depends on the system. If your driving source has a low output impedance and can source enough current to drive the signal to the levels you require for a low input impedance, then it's better to keep it low. Low impedance will keep noise levels down. And if your source can't drive a low impedance load, then it has to be higher. So, the lowest input impedance that meets your goals is what you should generally choose. Lower than what, higher than what? The answer to that requires a circuit and the designers priorities. Is noise the limiting factor, or is distortion the limiting factor. What's your happy medium for the circuit?

Sheldon

Low impedance will keep noise levels down. And if your source can't drive a low impedance load, then it has to be higher. So, the lowest input impedance that meets your goals is what you should generally choose.
Thanks Sheldon! This is what I meant.
What's your happy medium for the circuit?

Nothing special. Just wanted to know another people's oppinions.;)

Greets:
Tyimo