How to DIY headphones with full range woofer??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, not so tough if the goal is headphones, budget notwithstanding :D.

There are some folks eager to spend big time on headphones and specialized amps for same - not that anyone gives a flying frack, but as much as I've tried over the years, I could never get the appeal.

I have actually never heard a headphone that comes close to a very good audiophile speaker in resolution. That said, I've never heard a Staxx, so perhaps my opinion doesn't matter.

Audiophools used to commonly say their goal was a speaker that sounds like HD600 cans. IMO that's pretty funny since while I love my Senn H600's, they are warm and fuzzy and pleasant but not particularly hifi. They get their doors blown off my most of the speakers I've made in the fidelity department. Even so I love them cuz they are so pleasant and musical - not to mention comfortable. Drifting OT but IMO the Beyer DT770 Pro (250ohm) are a slightly better value.

FWIW, of the dozen and a half or so 'can that I went through in my misspent youth, the best sounding dynamic type were a Beyer "studio special monitor" - whose model/ number is now long lost in purple mists of that time.

It was hard to believe that you could "hear" that much bass without feeling it in your chest - in itself a most unnatural sensation- , but along with the Koss PRO4AA, and ESP9 gave me a headache (actually pinnas felt more like mum boxed my ears) after less than half an hour, which was barely enough time to get through the latest Moody Blues or Santana album.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.