How to DIY headphones with full range woofer??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had these in the lounge for a while and she's stuck around.........maybe I could swing the helmet speaker?

Attachments

• 12476249_10153538510973375_25583031_n.jpg
    12476249_10153538510973375_25583031_n.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 12540102_10153538510798375_1031356702_n.jpg
    12540102_10153538510798375_1031356702_n.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 145
There is an answer. Egg Chair. Perhaps you can build one out of foam core.

The vintage ones used to sound very pleasant even with the junk autosound drivers that they used. I always wanted to build one with modern FR drivers, but it's one of those projects I never got to. At one time you could buy old ones for not too much, but that time is gone. New ones are available but not cheap.

IMG_5380R.jpg

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to be sennheiser guy when it comes to headphones, but over the holidays I got myself gift, planars...he400i. Just because they were on sale. Not the top model, but amazing sound. They work as dipole too. X, give planars a try, you will not regret it. (I used to have many sony headphones, now I do not have any...that is a hint)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hehe, STAX are already at the top of my wish list brother. :)

I am looking for something to put my unused drivers to work and have some fun.

Thanks for the tip on planar mags though. My friend has about 3 dozen headphones and she says without a doubt, the STAX are tops for resolving power and speed.

Last edited:
While I've long since given up on headphones for all except infrequent airline travel, one of my favorites from decades ago were the Micro Seiki MX1, rumored to be an OEM STAX product.

The most bizarre fitting / uncomfortable I ever tried were Jecklin Floats - no bass to speak of either, while the cheaper Nakamichi SP7 or Yamaha HP2 planar types were far more comfortable and musical - but didn't take kindly to being sat on.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hehe, STAX are already at the top of my wish list brother. :)

I am looking for something to put my unused drivers to work and have some fun.

Thanks for the tip on planar mags though. My friend has about 3 dozen headphones and she says without a doubt, the STAX are tops for resolving power and speed.

I agree that STAX are the best, I used to have two pairs long time ago. But the inconvenience of power and step up trafo required was enough for me to give them up and to sell them on ebay.
Planars give me almost as much as electrostats, but for much less trouble.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I agree that STAX are the best, I used to have two pairs long time ago. But the inconvenience of power and step up trafo required was enough for me to give them up and to sell them on ebay.
Planars give me almost as much as electrostats, but for much less trouble.

Those HE400i's get some rave reviews. I may have to try them. However, they are about the same price as the new Elac UB5 speakers from Andrew Jones with a KEF style UniQ coax - it's a tough call.

UB5 – Elac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwA-F2m4ONI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uhkmvd3XnI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.