how to build a pre using S&B TX-102 transformers

Up'n'runnin' !

...And I'm mesmerised, glassy eyed, etc...
At first I thought it was the Audio Gods giving me a brief preview of audio perfection. So, for two days I touched nothing in case moving a cable would spoil the broth... fearing that the experience was not repeatable
Then I had to power down; when i switched everything on again, the same magic emerged (OK, it takes some time for my system to reach optimum performance).

Now, I'm operating my TX's in singularly suboptimum conditions I have yet to address:
*I'm paralling TWO loads one of which is already 10kOhm (the other is 33k);
*The TX output is conected to a cable that's connected to output jacks... (i used an old pre casing).
I MUST remedy that (I'll probably just solder TX outputs to IC cable & stp using RCA's altogether.

PLUS I'm picking up ~ 13kHz on the LEFT channel only:confused: Me thinks it's something to do with the original pre's connection PC: moving the IC (TX-> amp1) cable makes this noise disappear.

Anyway,
any takes on the impedance issue? I could of course just pick an out from the main amp's spkr conection & feed the amp for the woofers via a volume pot. Anyone have an idea on this?

Best,
Greg

Re: Up'n'runnin' !

Konnichiwa,

Gregm said:
*I'm paralling TWO loads one of which is already 10kOhm (the other is 33k);

Anyway,
any takes on the impedance issue?

The extra 33K will not kill anything (including sound), but I'd avoid the stepup connection. Also, you never know what earth loops result from such an arrangement.

Gregm said:
PLUS I'm picking up ~ 13kHz on the LEFT channel

Any TV's, PC Monitors or the like in the Vicinity?

Gregm said:
I could of course just pick an out from the main amp's spkr conection & feed the amp for the woofers via a volume pot. Anyone have an idea on this?

I never use any other approach!!!!

krishu said:
should I keep those wires coming out of the cans as short as possible? Does it matter somehow?

Longer wires tend to pick up more interference (if any is picked up), but keeping them long avoids the sort of problem illustrated in this line:

"Hey, I already cut it off three times and it is still too short!"

So I'm with Greg, keep them long (within sensible levels).

Sayonara

Re: Re: Up'n'runnin' !

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Longer wires tend to pick up more interference (if any is picked up), but keeping them long avoids the sort of problem illustrated in this line:

"Hey, I already cut it off three times and it is still too short!"

So I'm with Greg, keep them long (within sensible levels).

Sayonara

Hello,

I did not shorten anything, which means wires are still full length. I saw those TX102s in several diy and non-diy amps .... can't remember if any of them did shorten the wires.

Am I right thinking that the shorter the wires the smaller the risk of ultrasonic peak?

Cheers
Christian.

Thank you, Kuei.

I'm using the 1:1 output, as you suggest, and the music is plenty loud, I can't really subjectively point to lack of energy (i.e. weak bass, lower mids, etc, the usual culprits). It's just that from a theoretical point of view, driving a better load "should" be better ie.e sound even better... I guess I'm just nitpicking or being audio-retentive, or both:D
I never use any other approach!!!!
Pls excuse my confusion:confused: : do you mean you always use the spkrs output from one amp to drive the other amp??

As to the noise, strangely there is nothing of the sort in the vicinity and unplugging a trimmer light at the other end of the room didn't help. It could be a relay on the connector board...

Re: Re: Re: Up'n'runnin' !

Konnichiwa,

krishu said:
Am I right thinking that the shorter the wires the smaller the risk of ultrasonic peak?

No.

Gregm said:
Pls excuse my confusion:confused: : do you mean you always use the spkrs output from one amp to drive the other amp??

No, I mean I always drive the (Sub) woofers from the main amplifiers speaker outputs. I find it practically impossible to get them to play the same tune otherwise.

Gregm said:
As to the noise, strangely there is nothing of the sort in the vicinity and unplugging a trimmer light at the other end of the room didn't help. It could be a relay on the connector board...

Hmmm, beats me. It has got to be noise pickup somewhere....

Sayonara

Hello!

Just spotted this thread - and the concern over my web page at www.bent audio.com. Or at least that is where the page should be! My web host closed up shop sunday after a bunch of troubles with hackers over the weeks and months prior to that. I am setting up the page at a new host and through this week will have it back on line.

Sorry for the hassles and if anyone has any questions please e-mail at jchapman@telus.net (temp e-mail) or call at (604) 538-9812.

Thanks!

John

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have separated the left and right input grounds, left and right output grounds. I have a switch to connect input and output ground together. I have a switch for gain controll. I also have a switch for connecting output ground to chassi ground. The sound is over all of my expectations, the bass is better, have better punch and is extreamly tight and overall it sounds more spacious and 3 dimensional.

/Anders

Konnichiwa,

krishu said:
.... nice. MEybe we'll start a TX102 gallery sometime.

Well, here one implemention from yours truely, possibly one of the first ever:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The pictures show an RC Zobel (aka Snubber) which connected across the secondary from the 0db Tap to the wiper of the Switch. The transformers where MKI and this RC circuit quite effectively damped the resonance of the unconnected winding part without significantly worsening the sound....

And here pictures of a commercial Unit I had some input into:

mf2l.gif

Sayonara

TX102 clunk smash!

I use the Seiden switches from Brian in my pre. Still really chuffed with it :D .

One issue is that when I select a different source I get a thump in the speakers if I forget to turn down the volume. Anyone else get this, is there a cure?

Having seen the quality of S&B kit I've been wondering about using a TX103 + LCR module for my phono stage. Expensive but if they are as good as the TX102's then they could be worth it. Anyone tried this , is there a working schematic, as designing the electronics is beyond me.

Kev

Re: TX102 clunk smash!

Konnichiwa,

KevinTams said:
One issue is that when I select a different source I get a thump in the speakers if I forget to turn down the volume. Anyone else get this, is there a cure?

You would need to identify what the reason for this thumping is. It could be that the Sources chassis are at different potentials and the changeover causes these.

KevinTams said:
Having seen the quality of S&B kit I've been wondering about using a TX103 + LCR module for my phono stage. Expensive but if they are as good as the TX102's then they could be worth it. Anyone tried this , is there a working schematic, as designing the electronics is beyond me.

I have tried it. It works great. There are several schematics, If you check the Bent Audio Forum on AudioCircle.com and DIY HiFisupply Forum on AudioAsylum.com, I have posted several notes on various circuits and approaches.

If you need more you can ask Brian Cherry, he probably has most of the stuff collected somewhere.

Sayonara