how to build a pre using S&B TX-102 transformers

Is anyone on the forum still using or making preamps with the TX102?

What do you mean?
I don't see why anyone would stop using or selling it, unless one wants coloration or more Vout...

I also build another based on Silk's supermalloy, comparable, if not better:

Transformer Volume Control (TVC) – DIY Hifi Supply

Cheers,
M.

PS edit: I am searching for Thorsten Loesch's "soft grounding" the inputs schematic. I remember it was 2K5 for the unbalanced and 5K for the balanced ins. Found it! Post #19 Plus RF screening.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, maxlorenz. My son's wife is from Vina del Mar. I don't see many audiophiles posting from Chile!

Alas!
I don't have here anyone to talk to. :(
And that can also be said about almost all of my interests...but that's OK. I am used to the fact that nobody understands what I am talking about...:D

Thanks for the Internet where groups of people with shared interests can gather together.

Best wishes for you all,
M.

Last edited:
Still using mine with MyRefC amps and SD1 speakers. Aya DAC. Lovely!

Today I am using my S&B with my own Amnesis with Cascoded VFET outputs and Tannoy Autograph clones, and several sources, like ECdesigns MOSAIC DAC, heavily modded Otari MX5050II and Lenco TT with DIY unipivot arm :cool: in my main system n°1.

My main system n°2 uses Silk TVC feeding my Amnesis QUAD bootstrapped amp and DIY speakers with Heil Tweeter and "Onken 360-like" cabinet for the woofers. My main source today includes the recently discovered electro-optic link for SPDIF, between digital transport and DIP upsampler. :cool: Thanks to
-ECdesigns-' creativity and generosity. :) I consider it the discovery of the decade.

A pic of the Silk permalloy cans. True gems.

Cheers,
M.

Attachments

• TVC SILK1.JPG
    TVC SILK1.JPG
    525.5 KB · Views: 142
Hi,

Elektro-optik is my invented name for -ECdesigns-' invention/discovery which he uses on his own Fractal DAC with his own digital protocol.

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/info/archive
It is simply using electric digital SPDIF out from the transport and the Toslink receiver from the DAC. You need to replace the "receiving" connector of a digital cable for a 3mm Red LED AND increase the digital signal from stock to 3V3 to 5V, depending on the transport circuit, for example by connecting the digital signal from the Optical Transmitter or by adding a digital buffer to your stock output.

Another solution is to mod a USB to SPDIF board by connecting the digital signal from the Optical Transmitter to the electric SPDIF out, which usually is 3V3. That would give you the best PC based sound.

A third solution relates to DAC which do not have Toslink receiver: use usual digital cable to connect transport to DAC and install a toslink receiver to the digital input circuitry inside the DAC, after the input digital connector+Red LED assembly.

I have tried all of the above and all work OK. The total cost of the experiment should be under USD$10 for the best sound I have experienced. As per -ECdesigns-' explanation it has the best of both systems with none of their side effects...
I use a mini-to-standard-toslink adapter to secure the LED and connect to Toslink in.
I attached some pictures explaining the process.

Cheers,
M.
PS: I should open a new thread for this...

Attachments

• Electrooptic (1).JPG
    Electrooptic (1).JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Electrooptic (2).jpg
    Electrooptic (2).jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Electrooptic (3).JPG
    Electrooptic (3).JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Electrooptic (4).JPG
    Electrooptic (4).JPG