• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to bias a Fender Bassman 59 Ltd guitar amp?

OK, I see where you're coming from. Yes, I like to tune tube bias by ear as well as measurement. I almost always like the sound of an amp biased between 70% and 100% of the output tubes' maximum safe dissipation (determined by whether the circuit is class A or AB and whether it's cathode or fixed bias), but it's interesting to listen to different levels of bias. No argument that going above max safe dissipation counts as "badly biased," but sometimes a colder bias of an amp (say 50% of max dissipation) sounds good to me, given the guitars I play, the way I play them, and the way I hear.

... But if the amp sounds better to you with lower bias (the range between –52v and –25v or so), you can leave it there. A bias setting higher than –52v (–60 for example) will shorten the life of the output tubes...
outch ... ! ... it's the other way round ...
the -52V goes directly to the grids of the 6L6s in fixed bias;
so, -60V is running the tubes cooler, not hotter ... less current, extending tube life
while -25V would run them super hot, probably way into red plating ... shortening tube life by orders of magnitude ...

Reactions: 1 user