How low can a 12P Pensil go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sealed team.

Hello, everyone.
I'm going to retire my Tannoy system 600 + centre sound bar, in favour of some unused Alpair 12P, for a 2.1 movie system.
I get a calculated .25 foot sealed enclosure for an f3 of 104 hertz, and a qtc of .707.
Does this seem TOO small an enclosure to anyone else?
It will be highpassed at 130 hertz, but still seems Sam.
Am I risking harm to the driver?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My A12p sealed sim:

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• A122p-sealed.gif
    A122p-sealed.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 740
.25 cu ft = 7 liters does seem pretty small for this driver - would it even fit in a box that size? If high passed where you've intimated, I can't imagine you're risking harm, but I'd be inclined to go with one of the larger volumes seen in Dave's modelling - 14liters= 5ft^3 shows yielding just under 90Hz resonance, and is still a pretty small box for a driver with an over 8" diameter frame.

Yes, I remember, and that turned out how, exactly? ;) Of course the 12P is an entirely different animal, and since MIT appears to already have the drivers, it behooves us to suggest something that will work reasonably well - I just think the smallest possible box in which it will fit isn't the optimal way to go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.