How low can a 12P Pensil go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
That'd be an interesting comparison - having build 2 pairs of Castles so far (r EL70 and CHBW70/ERT26) I'd opine that whichever actually goes lower, there are some things that the FH series do in terms of sound stage spread that I'm not sure the castles can.

(Again, sorry for the OT.)

I found that a single A10.2 or A10P just doesn't have the "oomph" to remain coherent at higher SPLs. Add that to the fact that the Pensil design does not seem to provide a whole lot of damping and what I witnessed was Alpairs flapping around excessively for the amount of actual low end delivered in-room. Comparatively speaking, dual EL70s in a well-damped MLTL maintain their composure and seem far more "in control" at similar SPLs. This is why I am eager to put dual Alpair 10 drivers into a similar cabinet design. If there was a dual Alpair 10 FHXL design, I'd be mighty tempted to try it.

Full disclosure: I really have a hard time enjoying speakers with lackluster bass.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If there was a dual Alpair 10 FHXL design, I'd be mighty tempted to try it.

"Stack" 2 pair… like these but bigger.

Twin-FH3-1st-pix.jpg

dave

Dave, what software are you using to simulate the Pensils, btw?

So, yeah. I guess it's now a case of choosing the right enclosure for the 10Ps. I had a look at Brine's A10-M10 and it looks good but I'd like to be able to swap the circular port for a slot one at the bottom.

Also most of the enclosures seem to have the driver at about 75CM off the ground. Seems a little low for a floorstanding speaker. Is there any way of tilting the driver up 10 to 15 degrees or so?

Dave, what software are you using to simulate the Pensils, btw?

So, yeah. I guess it's now a case of choosing the right enclosure for the 10Ps. I had a look at Brine's A10-M10 and it looks good but I'd like to be able to swap the circular port for a slot one at the bottom.

Also most of the enclosures seem to have the driver at about 75CM off the ground. Seems a little low for a floorstanding speaker. Is there any way of tilting the driver up 10 to 15 degrees or so?

Monty,

Slot port should be doable - you can send an e-mail to Bob; or maybe a round port at the back if you don't want the port hole in the front?

Regarding driver height, that is something which is dictated by MLTL design consideration. Speaker designers (at least proper ones :)), optimize the driver height to minimize ripple, and the driver position tends to end up looking a bit low compared to the overall cabinet height. Pensil's might have the driver closer to the top albeit similar height from the ground, but they are a different alignment. If you really want to raise the driver height, you will have resort to a plinth of sorts. Again better check with Bob (in case you decide to go for his design) as to what height of plinth he would recommend.

The plinth can also help you get that 10-15 degree tilt - use slightly taller spikes for the front part, and shorter ones at the back.

Last edited:
monty,

All should be close, but their respective designers would be able to comment best on that.

The FH-XL takes the A10P impressively low, and thought not the M10-A10, I have heard the Alp 10P in a similar sized MLTL where it was good too. The FH-XL is likely to throw a wider sound-stage, but the cabinet will be ~23 inches deep at the base.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There is not enuff room between the baffle and the interior partition to fit the driver.

dave

This will give you an idea of what's going on: The Frugel-Horn

jeff

Hmmm. I see.

I wonder...

If the driver was positioned as high as possible on the side of the enclosure, and centred over the interior partition, it appears as though only a small piece of the interior partition would need to be removed. If done with some forethought, it could double as a (half-a$$ed) driver brace. The bulk of the interior partition would remain the original length.

Would this alteration compromise the design too much?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.