HOLMImpulse: Measurements in practice

No measurements using Behringer Xenyx 302USB and HOLMImpulse

Dear members
I try with no success to make measurements using Behringer Xenyx 302USB.
I use HOLMImpulse,
I try to perform a measurement and got a surreal perfect freq. response curve (like ideal curve),
Even when my speakers’ woofer is not connected at all, so there is no bass.
The HOLMImpulse swipe tone speaker’s output are just fine during the measurement curse.

My specs are:
Lenovo E540 Laptop (I7)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer
ECM8000 Mic.
HOLMImpulse software

I would be pleased to have you instructing me on how to connect and use this hardware for frequency response measurements.

P.S.
I tried to make a DAC-ADC Calibration, and it resulted in an error message saying the signal is either too
low (-70 dB) or clipped.

Many thanks in advance for your effort
HanA

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do check your phantom power. You can also see if your microphone is working in HOLM with the TOOLS menu. It gives you a VU meter. You should be able to see it move even when not taking a measurement. Make noise or talk, you should see the meter move.

If it is working and you are getting proper level, all should be OK. You might be getting a loopback. To test for that, disconnect the microphone and run a test. Did the VU meters move? If they move above about -70, then it's possible the output is somehow routed back to the input.

Thanks for your reply.
With this device 302USB, the phantom is power at all time aoutomaticly.
I already tested and found that even unpluged mic. I still get a signal in by looking at the VU meter and it is about -5 dB.
It looks that there is an internal loop somehow wich I can'nt giure out or fix.
I would be pleased for any ideas.
Best regards

I would like to add:
I also can see that the software gets record signals by the Vu meter wille I do the measurements.
Even thou, it doesn't make the measurement as supposed to do,
and I get surreal perfect freq. response curve (like ideal curve), even when one element of my 3 way speaker does not connected at all.
How and whay I get that surreal perfect freq. response curve (like ideal curve) and not the mic. input of the measurement as supposed to be? This is the big qwestion.

Thank you wintermute and Pano for your efforts in trying to solve my problem.
I discovered that the 302USB does not support full duplex operation, and this is why it cannot do the function I tried to do as measurements application with HolmImpulse.

You all have to remember that this wonderful device just does not suites those (full Duplex) applications.

Thank you all and have fun.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ah ok at least you got to the bottom of the problem! I guess now if you want to measure you need to look for a new USB soundcard. I have no idea whether you are even going to do this, or what your budget would be if you do, but I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and I am very happy with it as a soundcard for measuring speakers!

Tony.

Thanks Tony for the info.
My solution is to use 302USB as a mic. Phantom amp (since I already purchased it) and to add a Duplex sound card.
It looks that the cheapest sound card will be Berhinger UCA222 or the old one UCA202 that many already used it.
They coast only 25USD and does the job.

Dear members,
as I promised,
I am glade to inform that the 302USB as a mic. Phantom amp and the Full Duplex sound card. Behringer UCA222 works fine, no complains.

Does any one can direct me to find tutorials about of what they are and how to use of:
Measure Impulse-response
Measure Phase-response
Measure Harmonic distortion (THD)

I am new about it, and got the impression that they are very critical for acoustics and speaker measurements.

Thanks in advance

Have fun

In room Holm measurements

Today i did some in house (room) Holm SPL measurements and I am not quite sure about the measurement results. I tested my main DIY Vifa speakers. The room is a small space of 4 x 6 x 2,7 meter (L x W x H) 13 x 19 x 8 feet. Frequency response smoothing N=12. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Vifa SPL measurement.png
    Vifa SPL measurement.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 420