Hiraga "Le Monstre"

Here is the modified version

Hello osscar
Here is these schematic. These was tested and work fine.
Use these drivers please
Greetings:D

Attachments

• hir-cir-tr.gif
    hir-cir-tr.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,042
So you say the mosfet version is better after the sim??
I built the Le Monstre with the orig parts a couple years a go but the Class A sounded way better!
That is why I want to try these mosfet version. Something different!
Thank you
You can get those drivers easily
Greetings Gabor

Hello
I don't think your JFet is burned! It would not work at all if you burn the JFets.
I had similar issue with my Monstre. Shy bass! That is why I want to try the mosfet version.
My advise try to remove the electrolytic from the PC board and use only some good PIO (paper in oil) or teflon capacitors 1uF or so.
Greetings

Hello
I don't think your JFet is burned! It would not work at all if you burn the JFets.
I had similar issue with my Monstre. Shy bass! That is why I want to try the mosfet version.
My advise try to remove the electrolytic from the PC board and use only some good PIO (paper in oil) or teflon capacitors 1uF or so.
Greetings

I have used cerafine electrolytics in parallel with teflon caps.

Hello
Try to use Russian PIO K40-Y9 type or Teflon caps without the Cerafines.
Just give a try please.
I have a simple Class A amp ,I used PIO and I tried to replace it with Silmic.
It got 10 time worst sound, specially in bass..
Silmic one of the best caps in bass , and when I used only PIO much better. Different amp!
By the way nice layout design. It is your design?? I will use it..Thanks!
Greetings

Hello
Try to use Russian PIO K40-Y9 type or Teflon caps without the Cerafines.
Just give a try please.
I have a simple Class A amp ,I used PIO and I tried to replace it with Silmic.
It got 10 time worst sound, specially in bass..
Silmic one of the best caps in bass , and when I used only PIO much better. Different amp!
By the way nice layout design. It is your design?? I will use it..Thanks!
Greetings

Yes I have used these russian teflons in parallel with cerafine.

The layout is of another guy here in the forum but please note about the changes.
Please confirm if only one of the two fets needs to be reversed, or not. I am waiting for a reply for the other members on this on my post above.
If only one of the two needs to be reversed then it would be nice to have the pcb altered so that thermal equilibrium occurs between the two fets again. I have allready made the faulty PCBs so I cannot correct this now...

Hello Neazoi,

Source pins of the JFets must be linked to the 100ohm trimpot; drain pins must be linked to the resistor drain of 1k via the bipolar of the cascode (2SC1175/2SA872). Please check the datasheet of the JFet for correct pins identification, but in my memory you've got to reverse both.
Indeed, a Jfet can "work" wrong way, because its internal structure is more or less symetrical. You may measure same idss both way. For me, i match my trans with a curve tracer and a difference occurs with the choice of connection.
Anyway, i don't think your JFet have suffered.
Don't think neither that they are responsable for your "shy bass".
This last point is very strange !
Le Monstre was known to have exceptional, firm, quick and powerful bass, comparable to the Kaneda 50W. I have never heard a "shy" le monstre in bass, oh no !
This power is coming also from the huge PSU : the different versions used between 500000µF and 1.2F per way with or without battery (for perfect silent PSU). You use only 1000µF...Do a test with 300000µF, you may hear something different.

Knd Rgds

PYJ

Hello
Yes you have to turn both both JFet.
I agree with jouff about the "shy bass" .
If you already has the PC board that is not a problem. Use a piece of heat-shrink and fill up the empty place with that warm glue.
You know that glue you have to melt it with glue gun. That has very good thermal conductivity!
Also try to play with different hockup wires. These amplifier is very sensitive to every parts U use.
Greetings gabor