High SPL bass section for Wakeboard boat

Weekend is fine. I was going to start building this weekend but the drivers arrived and this is what one of them looks like. The second one took a pretty good hit too and I am a bit worried it might not be perfect either.

View attachment 480555
View attachment 480556

Damn - how was that packed for shipping purposes?

My brother received two B&C 18" drivers recently. They used less packaging material than PE used for one of the cheap Dayton 12" pro audio drivers I ordered about two years earlier. I was surprised they actually arrived intact.

Damn - how was that packed for shipping purposes?

My brother received two B&C 18" drivers recently. They used less packaging material than PE used for one of the cheap Dayton 12" pro audio drivers I ordered about two years earlier. I was surprised they actually arrived intact.

Yea I was disappointed by the amount of packing material. Also it looked like the box had been kicked all the way to Canada. I don't think the shipping company was very careful.

The latest release (Version 39.00) can now simulate sixth order series band pass enclosures, eighth order triple reflex band pass enclosures and aperiodic bi-chamber enclosures.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-542.html#post4330720

Wow. Great work David. I really like that you can add the filter, check port velocities, toggle off the "ignore resonances" feature, etc, etc, all from the wizard. It really makes the process much more efficient. I also like how the schematic yellow highlights the relevant part of the design as you change the values. Great work.

OK new drivers have arrived and construction has begun.

Here is a silly question. Which way do I mount the woofers. All my last woofers had gaskets on the back of the woofer and I dropped them in through the baffle. These speakers only have a gasket (if you can even call it that) on the front. I am assuming I still drop the speakers in through the baffle but will it seal? Am I supposed to have a gasket on the back side of the driver?

Attachments

• Back of driver.jpg
    Back of driver.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Front of driver.jpg
    Front of driver.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 167
OK new drivers have arrived and construction has begun.

Here is a silly question. Which way do I mount the woofers. All my last woofers had gaskets on the back of the woofer and I dropped them in through the baffle. These speakers only have a gasket (if you can even call it that) on the front. I am assuming I still drop the speakers in through the baffle but will it seal? Am I supposed to have a gasket on the back side of the driver?

You need to put a gasket if you're front-mounting those drivers. Any good hardware store should stock weather-stripping foam tape that can be used for this purpose.

Now that HornResp can model series-tuned 6th order BP designs, perhaps it's worthwhile to look at that alignment again as a possible option.

You need to put a gasket if you're front-mounting those drivers. Any good hardware store should stock weather-stripping foam tape that can be used for this purpose.

Now that HornResp can model series-tuned 6th order BP designs, perhaps it's worthwhile to look at that alignment again as a possible option.
Thanks. I'll pick up the weather stripping when I get the tee nuts.

As for the series tuned band pass I had a go at it and wasn't able to get anything better than the original design. At least with my limited skills.

One more thing that I've been wondering about. Is anyone concerned with the fact that these two 12 inch woofers are firing into a slot that is 2 inches high by 12.5 inches wide? Should I be concerned about compression ratios, cone stiffness, voice coil strength, etc?

And by 25" ish long?
It will add a mass load and pipe resonances so put as much damping material as you can at the end opposite the opening and line the side opposite the drivers with some sort of damping material. Measure the final response and EQ out any troublesome peaks.
Would it have been possible to put one of the 12" drivers on the face aiming into the passenger area? That would have allowed you to shorten the slot and hopefully push
the pipe resonances ever further up out of the passband.

This project turned out real well. The box hits hard and low enough for me. With the space I had I really don't think it could have gone better. I had already buit the box by the time I read the most recent advice about adding damping material. But Yea it is exactly 25 inches.

I've settled on about 120hz for a crossover. Any higer than that and it doesn't sound good. So that might be the result of the resonances. With the 120hz crossover it sounds great though. Lots of chest pounding base. Beter than I have heard in a wake boat. I'm happy with it.

I built the box out of .75 inch baltic birch and covered it with truck box lining for waterproofing. I'll try to post up some pictures.

Many thanks to everyone who helped. I could not have done this otherwise.

This project turned out real well. The box hits hard and low enough for me. With the space I had I really don't think it could have gone better. I had already buit the box by the time I read the most recent advice about adding damping material. But Yea it is exactly 25 inches.

I've settled on about 120hz for a crossover. Any higer than that and it doesn't sound good. So that might be the result of the resonances. With the 120hz crossover it sounds great though. Lots of chest pounding base. Beter than I have heard in a wake boat. I'm happy with it.

I built the box out of .75 inch baltic birch and covered it with truck box lining for waterproofing. I'll try to post up some pictures.

Many thanks to everyone who helped. I could not have done this otherwise.

Glad my shoot from the hip driver suggestion worked out for you mn. sorry the first bath showed up damaged, but I'm glad you came out on top.