High Performance WM8741 Upsampling DAC New Version build thread (show 'n tell too)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It appears that the TSOP38238 is the newer part. The TSOP4838 is no longer recommended for design.

After doing some research, I think I will try to set up for MCE RC6 compatibility, as the codes are defined and there will be less chance of interference with a TV or other IR controlled device.

Everything I need to know is hopefully in the 178 page manual:

"Remote Control and Receiver-Transceiver Specifications and Requirements for Windows Media Center in Windows Operating Systems"

I started with the TSOP38238 but it is sensitive to something in the basement - probably the light or something among the electronic stuff.
Volume kept creaping up 1 db every second minute... I changed to the TSOP4838 and it is now rock steady. My supplier didn't have the one gdl recommends so I took what he had. 2pcs of each. I'm not very happy with the rotational encoder, I will change the capacitors and dig deeper into the S/W debouncing - I have a strong feeling that I have the delays in the wrong place. Filters, maybe I'm to old to hear any difference changing these - something fishy here. A solution is to in the code set the reg value and then read the reg to be sure it's set to what was chosen - otherwise - error routine.

Brgds

BTW: Give Georges USB -> I2S a try - The audio-widget incarnation is very good and now we'll have one ready to box up to whatever DAC we could think of taking I2S as input. I2C will also be in place if it's not already so, atleast from the electrical point of view. The code for different DAC's will hopefully be implemented as a config file on the computer. But this is a bit OT in this thread, even so if you would like to make an impact - get involved!

Make that
George.Bouderau@YoyodyneConsulting.ca

The layout is finished and I will send off for a dozen blanks is few days. Kits... it depends on how much free time I can squeeze in.
Contact me directly if you are interested.

George

Yes and feel free to query George about the availability of kits ;-) at
george.bourderau@yoyodyneconsulting.ca

With the latest code and Nikkovs drivers - 32/192 :) on Windows 7 at least.
On Linux and Apple - way back...

Now this stuff is really driving industry forward!

Push it!

Brgds

Here is all I get.

I don't think the display is the problem.

It should be compatible even though it is a few years old.

Attachments

• LCDdisplay1976.JPG
    LCDdisplay1976.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 179
The Sony remote works.

The IR detector works.

There is no activity between the Arduino and the WM8741 board.

The LED on the Arduino blinks twice following reset.

I guess I have to find where the LED is blinked, and start blinking the led at various points in the code to see where it is going.

One reason I'm looking at the RC6 is my understanding it is supported under winodze and Linux. I intrepret the fact that RC6 is supported under Windows Media Center to indicate there should be some popularity of the device, not that Sony or Apple is likely to go away.

To me it seems the logical choice to integrate our functionality into the map used by WMC to allow interoperability.

I am in the process of building a media center based on Linux Mint, and want this device to work with the rest of the system without having multiple remote controllers.

Turbon,

What happens if I pull the plug to the DAC? What indication should I get?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.