High Performance WM8741 Upsampling DAC New Version build thread (show 'n tell too)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One reason I'm looking at the RC6 is my understanding it is supported under winodze and Linux. I intrepret the fact that RC6 is supported under Windows Media Center to indicate there should be some popularity of the device, not that Sony or Apple is likely to go away.

To me it seems the logical choice to integrate our functionality into the map used by WMC to allow interoperability.

I am in the process of building a media center based on Linux Mint, and want this device to work with the rest of the system without having multiple remote controllers.

Turbon,

What happens if I pull the plug to the DAC? What indication should I get?

Mine just froze in the beginning connected to the DAC board due to that I missunderstod the connector due to that heartwinters levelshifting board is to be understod from below ;-)

Just pull the cable and se if it starts. If it does - revisit the drawings and read.

Brgds

OK, I wired it with it turned upside down, but that does not mean I could not have made a mistake. Those pwb markings are difficult to read for me.

This would be a simple explanation as to why mine does not run.

However, I did not see any activity on the serial link between them with a scope. I would have expected to see some activity and then the failure.

OK, I wired it with it turned upside down, but that does not mean I could not have made a mistake. Those pwb markings are difficult to read for me.

This would be a simple explanation as to why mine does not run.

However, I did not see any activity on the serial link between them with a scope. I would have expected to see some activity and then the failure.

If it's in the wrong order you probably measured GND with your scope...

Brgds

But as a starter, pull it out and see if your arduino rocks...
The arduino in it's present incarnation doesn't care about the DAC more than it won't run for some reason if the cabling isn't correct. It runs happily with nothing connected though.

The IDE is quite OK but I will have a try on getting it to Atmels Studio.
I miss the possibility to travel thru the code...

Anyhow this was a mouthfull - it will take weeks to produce.

Now as a last request I would like to se an Atmel MCU doing 1/3 better so that the Audio-Widget can take 384khz. Just for the sport in it.

Brgds

Last edited:
Both connectors on the Levelshifter were backwards. It wasn't just that the boards were upside down, the silkscreens were wrong.

Button on the rotary encoder works, but the encoder is erratic.

The display shows some weird block characters that change if I rotate the encoder, but do not follow a pattern.

USB data works, but S/PDIF does not.

Here is the display:

Attachments

• LED N VF diaplay.JPG
    LED N VF diaplay.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 208
I tried a second display and got the same results, so I don't think it is the display.

I'll start going through the code to see if I can convert it to support the Sony and RC6 remotes.

I tried modifying the SPDIF input without success. It goes o the bottom of the list.

I tried a second display and got the same results, so I don't think it is the display.

I'll start going through the code to see if I can convert it to support the Sony and RC6 remotes.

I tried modifying the SPDIF input without success. It goes o the bottom of the list.

Since you are getting stuff on the display that you would expect, I think the display and the display IF must be fine. If there was a problem there, you would get garbage.

There is code to support "large characters". I think it uses a lookup table that is supposed to be included. Maybe the large character code is causing those funny charaters?

You could try to comment it out, and see what happens.

Randy

Good Idea, although I was thinking they were possibly bar code information for the volume.

Hopefully I can comment out the large character calls.

It is definitely the large character codes. I can see which ones are which and they all map to the set.

I guess the issue is that I really don't know what should be on the display.

There is a hint on the HiFiduino page.

Last edited:
Have a look on my latest image I uploaded a page or two back - theres what you should expect on the LCD. As I see it you got everything but in the wrong places.
Have a look at these and experiment:
lcd.setCursor(col,row);
The code original code made me totally confused as parts seemed to be lcd.setCursor(row,col); which didn't fit my LCD.
Brgds

Thanks Trubon. I'm wondering if my LCD displays might be the problem. T

hey are populated with original HD44780A00 parts.

The only date coded part I can read looks like it has a date codes of 1976.

the "A00" makes me think they are early release parts. There could have been a change in design that effected the mapping of the display which would account for it's behavior.

Then again, the current displays could be different from the original even though they claim compatibility, and the code is written for the new displays.

I need to find datasheets on both display ICs. If I can understand the difference ti should not be difficult to fix the code to work with my displays.

That or order a new one.

Ha..ha..ha....

4 X 16 display not 4 X 20

The manual does not show a 4 X 16 display, and it is the same width as the new 2 X 40 displays I have so I thought it was 4 X 20. Not!

Sparkfun was faster even though it was almost twice as much.

Last edited:
There appear to be some changes between the HD44780A00 and the HD44780U versions.

I had to index at 0,0 and 1,0 for rows 1 and 2, and index at -4,2 and -4,3 for rows 3 and 4 to get the display to align.

Then I had to add -4 and -8 off sets to the two row indices.

Looks like it will run with the 16X4 display although it is a bit tight.

All this will be tossed when a proper 20X4 display arrives, but I can play with it now and I'm learning the code so all is not in vain.

Attachments

• BothScreens.JPG
    BothScreens.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.